Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

No Melbourne club would turn down Dangerfield because he would have to drive one hour to work.

Do you reckon every Melbourne club would have cap space - These decisions are planned two years in advance.

The Crows will be matching the Dangerfield offer not to much to try and keep him but rather to get better compensation. If we were going to lose a player and we were going to get a compo pick that was around the mark then we wouldnt bother matching.
However losing a player that is worth picks 2 and 3 on the open market (as offered by Melbourne last year) for maybe pick 13 just isnt going to fly. We wont cop it, only an incompetent club would do so.

I don't believe there should be compensation picks at all - It's up to the club to keep their players happy and retain their services - Any discussion about getting a better pick is banal and trivial.

Hey, its all about the spirit of FA. The AFL does not exist other than to allow FA. Clubs dont exist to win premierships, they only exist to facilitate a FAs move to the club of his choice, even if that means not exercising their rights under the laws of Restricted Free Agency.
The Crows should have no interest other than giving an opposition side their best player free of charge for pathetic compensation.
The path the bleeting hearts from Geelong have gone with this shit is embarrising.

You are using the tried and true tactic of labelling an argument, because of the team supported by the poster. Lets stick to debating the issues instead of throwing in red herrings like Frank Costa - Your biggest beef appears to be with Free Agency - Maybe you need to lobby the AFL and the AFLPA.

You are using the tried and true tactic of labelling an argument, because of the team supported by the poster. Lets stick to debating the issues instead of throwing in red herrings like Frank Costa - Your biggest beef appears to be with Free Agency - Maybe you need to lobby the AFL and the AFLPA.

Well spotted. 100% spot on.

Its gone from PD is never leaving, to it will be a trade, to hating Geelong for getting PD for free, to AFC must trade to force GFC to lose a pick as its a competition and its better to take GFC pick, even if its not as good, just to take the pick away from us.

Dont hate the player, hate the game.

Go Catters

I disagree - No point matching an offer if a player chooses another club - That is poor management.

Ohh is that why you wanted something for Ryder I know he wasn't an FA but neither is Pd he is a RFA giving the crows the option to keep him or send him into the PSD. As EFC could have forced Ryder

Are you a hypocrite?

Not at all, because Dangers a restricted free agent which allows us to match. I dont have an issue at all with that. My issue is with Cats supporters that think we shouldnt exercise our right under RFA to match the offer.
If you have a problem with that I think you should take your own advice and Lobby the AFL and AFLPA to take out the matching clause.
We owe Danger and Geelong nothing, and we are only motivated by getting every bit of blood from Geelong as we can for him.

Cleric

Assuming you guys match the offer that the cats put forward and are willing to trade, what do you reckon would get the trade done?

Motlop + 2nd? Motlop + 1st?
Melbourne offered pick 2 and 3 for him. So thats the high end as lets be honest, the Dees were desperate to sell hope to their supporters and tried with the best they could offer. At a minimum he is worth two first rounders. So Motlop and the Cats first or even Cockatoo and their first. Looking at it from our point of view, would I trade our first pick this year and Jake Lever for Jeremy Cameron or Joel Selwood, or Jesse Hogan even? Yep, in a heartbeat. That tells me that it wont be a problem for Geelong. Sure they would love to get him for nothing, but sometimes you dont always get what you want.
And to hear some Cats supporters say "well if we dont get him for nothing we dont want him" just makes you shake your head at the diminishing iq of Australians. Every team in the game would do the trade I put forward for Danger.

Melbourne offered pick 2 and 3 for him. So thats the high end as lets be honest, the Dees were desperate to sell hope to their supporters and tried with the best they could offer. At a minimum he is worth two first rounders. So Motlop and the Cats first or even Cockatoo and their first. Looking at it from our point of view, would I trade our first pick this year and Jake Lever for Jeremy Cameron or Joel Selwood, or Jesse Hogan even? Yep, in a heartbeat. That tells me that it wont be a problem for Geelong. Sure they would love to get him for nothing, but sometimes you dont always get what you want.
And to hear some Cats supporters say "well if we dont get him for nothing we dont want him" just makes you shake your head at the diminishing iq of Australians. Every team in the game would do the trade I put forward for Danger.
Adelaide should match. At the end of the day if he wants to come home and Geelong won't play ball and trade then Hawthorn and Collingwood would gladly come to the table and trade.

If Suckling goes under free agency as expected then compensation will likely be an end of first round pick (it won't be less as he'll only be moving for decent $$$). Can see Hawthorn gladly offering our 1st pick + that compo pick + a fringe 22 player or two of your choice. And remember our fringe players aren't really 'AFL fringe' quality. Cheney was pretty low down the list at our club but has fitted in nicely in your backline.

Adelaide should match. At the end of the day if he wants to come home and Geelong won't play ball and trade then Hawthorn and Collingwood would gladly come to the table and trade.

If Suckling goes under free agency as expected then compensation will likely be an end of first round pick (it won't be less as he'll only be moving for decent $$$). Can see Hawthorn gladly offering our 1st pick + that compo pick + a fringe 22 player or two of your choice. And remember our fringe players aren't really 'AFL fringe' quality. Cheney was pretty low down the list at our club but has fitted in nicely in your backline.
And lets be honest here, if the Cats cant come to the table with a trade, Danger will look to another Vic club of his chosing before letting himself end up in the PSD. Does anyone honestly think that if Danger was drafted by a Melbourne based club that he would be looking at FA as a way to get 80kms closer to him mum and dad?

You've certainly changed your tone from a few months ago.

Also, I think that you're being a bit optimistic if you believe that Suckling will get you an end of first rounder as compensation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, I think that you're being a bit optimistic if you believe that Suckling will get you an end of first rounder as compensation.
Very optimistic in fact.

And lets be honest here, if the Cats cant come to the table with a trade, Danger will look to another Vic club of his chosing before letting himself end up in the PSD. Does anyone honestly think that if Danger was drafted by a Melbourne based club that he would be looking at FA as a way to get 80kms closer to him mum and dad?
I think that Dangers main grievance is with the AFC and their inability to build and also maintain a quality list in his time there, and he believes that he has to go elsewhere if he is any chance of having some success before he retires. And yes, the lure of home will definitely be a strong factor but I also think that it would be naive to think that he doesn't want to get as far away from the AFC as he possibly can in order to chase some success.

Did I say Adelaide shouldn't match? I don't recall that, you'll need to link me to where I said that.

Suckling will only be 27 by the end of July. He's also not going to move clubs from what is the current B2B premiers (and possibly B2B2B by then if things go well) to another club unless it's for either a long and/or financially lucrative deal. Those things equate to a good level of compensation according to the AFL. He may get shit from Hawks supporters but he's obviously well liked by Clarko and an integral part of our game plan and would have been made a decent offer by the Hawks. Those second round compensation picks tend to only come for the players aged 29+ or who have been in and out of their old side with bad form or injury.

Did I say Adelaide shouldn't match? I don't recall that, you'll need to link me to where I said that.

Suckling will only be 27 by the end of July. He's also not going to move clubs from what is the current B2B premiers (and possibly B2B2B by then if things go well) to another club unless it's for either a long and/or financially lucrative deal. Those things equate to a good level of compensation according to the AFL. He may get shit from Hawks supporters but he's obviously well liked by Clarko and an integral part of our game plan and would have been made a decent offer by the Hawks. Those second round compensation picks tend to only come for the players aged 29+ or who have been in and out of their old side with bad form or injury.

Suckling is worthless. Nobody is going to trade for this one trick pony who is fast becoming a spud. Not all players can play past 30 and Suckling is quickly reaching the end. He is already in his twilight.

I think that Dangers main grievance is with the AFC and their inability to build and also maintain a quality list in his time there, and he believes that he has to go elsewhere if he is any chance of having some success before he retires. And yes, the lure of home will definitely be a strong factor but I also think that it would be naive to think that he doesn't want to get as far away from the AFC as he possibly can in order to chase some success.
If truth be known, his GF is more of an influence on him than any football team or person, as it should be. They are getting married next year and want to start a family, and as you may be aware, most women want to be around their parents when starting a family.

You and I both know that I'm not going to waste my time trying to find it. :D Perhaps I've got the wrong guy and if so, I apologise. I'll take you at your word.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Suckling.

If truth be known, his GF is more of an influence on him than any football team or person, as it should be. They are getting married next year and want to start a family, and as you may be aware, most women want to be around their parents when starting a family.
If that's the case then he won't be playing for Hawthorn or Collingwood next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back