Autopsy Post game. Close but not quite. Pies down by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like Wayne Carey put a brain worm in a few posters noggins. 'Can't keep having honourable losses'? The way he was carrying on you'd think we were an experienced team finding ways to lose.

Let's get real. We are extremely young with two debutants last night who got a taste of the top level. We almost beat Freo and Hawthorn who are well seasoned and experienced. It would have been great to win and we should have won tonight given our dominance in scoring shots, but we are well ahead of time. If we took a straw poll of posters here 3 weeks ago about how we expected to fare V Fremantle and Hawthorn most would have anticipated anything from 4 goal losses to smashings. Now we are incredibly disappointed? I'm very bloody bullish. Nine players with 50 or less games.

On the players I thought Brown was incredibly sluggish and terrible with his decisions and disposals. Oxley needed to be harder at it. Moore worked hard but didn't get a reward, better for the run.

Not only was his kicking bad but Cloke's handball over the top De Goey's head lost us the game. De Goey would have had a running shot from 45m out when we had the momentum. Instead Hawthorn take it down the other end, kick a goal and take the momentum back. GG.

That was the moment when I truly lost it. The game was there in Cloke's hands-a gentle, well weighted dish and De Goey goes BANG! :cry:

That was the moment when I truly lost it. The game was there in Cloke's hands-a gentle, well weighted dish and De Goey goes BANG! :cry:

So Cloke s**t himself like he doing in-front of goal

So watched the replay, lots of if and buts! In the final qtr a few critical points.

Cloke handball to Degoey, fumbles ball ends in Hawks goal
Hawks kick from defence to wing, three Pies players fly over the pack lose ball all Hawks, became a three on one contest, Hawks player seen running towards goal with Toovey chasing him, Gunston trips up but kicks up with two pies players approaching, the third Toovey decides to compete as well leaving the Hawks player with a simple tap in for goal.
1:36 left 9 pts down, ball out of centre to Pies CHF pack flys, White get jump scragged but ump doesn't see it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
THe important thing is they're having a o.
So many things went their way by a NTTAWWTteenth of a millifart, a toe here a missed tackle there.
We are that close I can smell it.
Anyone who remembers when we "got" after 2008 knows exactly what I mean.

To me too much emphasis is being given to the short term. While on one level playing finals would be good and valuable experience, I would rather we make choices like playing Moore and Maynard in games like this and lose because of it. For the rest of the year I would like to see Marsh, Scharon, Freeman and BenKen all get a taste of the big time.

If that results in us losing games and missing the finals so be it. Our kids will gain valuable experience which is really needed. Both Moore and Maynard were like fish out of water often last night but will be better for the run. And by missing the finals we get a better first round draft pick and an easier draw.

Think of the big picture people. For me there have only been positives out of the last two weeks. We are showing that we will be a premiership threat sooner than expected, but winning right now against the top teams is nothing to be concerned about, or get in any way upset about.

Can't accept that at all. We are a chance now. We have been a kick away from Hawks, Freo and Tigers - two of which we should have won well. There are enough kids in the side earning their spot to look after the future without having to gift games.

Who knows what next year brings. Ask Port. Grab our opportunity to play finals now- it's not like we are doing it with old players. We are doing it with heads of kids already.

I'm happy Maynard and Moore got a shot in this game. Always great to give them a shot at the top clubs so they know what is required. It is also surely putting some feted players feet to the fire which means some intense competition for spots.

Swan I think needs to start playing predominantly forward His disposal further afield is starting to pinch.

I come in peace. Just going to take the liberty of giving an outsider's very positive view of last night and your team.

You have to take comfort, albeit cold comfort, in the fact that you deserved to beat the top team last week and you should have beaten the best team last night. Let down by lack of composure which is due to lack of experience, but guess what, that's how you get the experience to remain composed under pressure, the essential ingredient of premiership teams. And you can clearly see now that Buckley has been building a list around a game plan with this in mind.

Good news is that the players have obviously both learned and bought into the game plan, that he is coaching well and they are playing for him, and you are just one good KP player off a genuine contender. With Moore coming on and Reid coming back I would say that your premiership window is open a chink. Get another season into your youngsters and it will be wide open.

Good luck with it.

Yes I was there sitting directly in front of that moment of play and thought there goes our chance to go 15 points up and thinking that's just probably cost us the game! Which it did. Still very excited where our Pies are heading, once again tho Cloke & White are big worries

Can't accept that at all. We are a chance now. We have been a kick away from Hawks, Freo and Tigers - two of which we should have won well. There are enough kids in the side earning their spot to look after the future without having to gift games.

Who knows what next year brings. Ask Port. Grab our opportunity to play finals now- it's not like we are doing it with old players. We are doing it with heads of kids already.

By and large I agree. We have a shitload of kids playing and have all year. That said, when you have a chance to make some transitions you need to weigh that up too. As a defender, Maynard I thought looked good. The kick to Toovey was fine but Tooves dropped it. The mark by Rioli and goal looked to be against Maynard but I think Maynard was covering Varcoe.

I understand your point but I just don't think we are as close as you do. Still think this year is a development year.

Marley, Pendles, Sidebottom, Crisp were superb.

Darcy didn't get much of it but was so impressed with how he competed and brought the ball to ground.

Fasolo is working alot harder and its probably why his composure and skills in front of goal are suffering. Kicking with fatigued legs is a totally different ball game. Loving the desire though.

Cloke and White are starting to put it together and outside of goalkicking, thought they were excellent.

Great finals like game and a great crowd. Just a brilliant night of footy. Really hoping we get em next time.

I see a premiership in this group of players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys should be very proud of the way Collingwood played last night. A huge step in the right direction. I stand by what I said. I admire and respect the way Collingwood go about their footy. Nathan Buckley is building a really strong list that may potentially be the best in the competition in 2-3 years time. The third-fourth year players are starting to show off their potential as they get closer to 50 games under their belt. The scary thing is there's more talent to come that haven't played a game yet like Schrenberg, Freeman, Goodyear and Marsh. Add Grundy, Greenwood, Goldsack and a fit Ben Reid and Collingwood will be tough to beat for the remainder of 2015.

Good luck for the rest of the season. :thumbsu:

Are you referring to the kick to Toovey and Rioli finding space forward for the mark and goal?
No that was Toovey's fault for dropping the mark.
He had one direct turnover by foot that resulted in a goal, put on ice skates and fell over a few times allowing his opponent and easy goal in the forward fifty, he also let the ball get over the back a few times with poor efforts failing to kill the ball or falling over, which resulted in mismatches in our def 50 where they ended up goaling. I posted at 3 quarter time of the game I didn't think we could win with him on the ground.

No that was Toovey's fault for dropping the mark.
He had one direct turnover by foot that resulted in a goal, put on ice skates and fell over a few times allowing his opponent and easy goal in the forward fifty, he also let the ball get over the back a few times with poor efforts failing to kill the ball or falling over, which resulted in mismatches in our def 50 where they ended up goaling. I posted at 3 quarter time of the game I didn't think we could win with him on the ground.

I'll have to take another look.

Marley, Pendles, Sidebottom, Crisp were superb.

Darcy didn't get much of it but was so impressed with how he competed and brought the ball to ground.

Fasolo is working alot harder and its probably why his composure and skills in front of goal are suffering. Kicking with fatigued legs is a totally different ball game. Loving the desire though.

Cloke and White are starting to put it together and outside of goalkicking, thought they were excellent.

Great finals like game and a great crowd. Just a brilliant night of footy. Really hoping we get em next time.

I see a premiership in this group of players.

Very good post. Fasolo didn't get the rewards but his efforts were supreme. That said I wouldn't be making a case for Fasolo exceptionalism - i.e. his kicking suffered because he worked hard. I mean his legs can't have been worked too hard, maybe his cardio.

Moore I also agree with. Worked hard to no reward. Might get dropped but not disgraced by any measure.

Cloke got a lot of it and the conversion was disappointing but what do you do? I think he needs to get it higher up and we leave our strong marking smalls and mediums forward. I include Swan in that mix. Or Cloke stalks the goal-square. Elliot had an off night but with Fasolo, Swan and Elliot forward with a Broomhead/De Goey we have plenty of threats.

Sounds like Wayne Carey put a brain worm in a few posters noggins. 'Can't keep having honourable losses'? The way he was carrying on you'd think we were an experienced team finding ways to lose.

Let's get real. We are extremely young with two debutants last night who got a taste of the top level. We almost beat Freo and Hawthorn who are well seasoned and experienced. It would have been great to win and we should have won tonight given our dominance in scoring shots, but we are well ahead of time. If we took a straw poll of posters here 3 weeks ago about how we expected to fare V Fremantle and Hawthorn most would have anticipated anything from 4 goal losses to smashings. Now we are incredibly disappointed? I'm very bloody bullish. Nine players with 50 or less games.

On the players I thought Brown was incredibly sluggish and terrible with his decisions and disposals. Oxley needed to be harder at it. Moore worked hard but didn't get a reward, better for the run.
Nathan brown has had a super season thus far.

BUT the guy in the back row of the top deck knows what he will do with the ball, he telegraphs his possession so much it's not funny. The total opposite to the skipper.

Nathan brown has had a super season thus far.

BUT the guy in the back row of the top deck knows what he will do with the ball, he telegraphs his possession so much it's not funny. The total opposite to the skipper.

He's had some quality moments but he's very choppy imv. His handball to Williams was obviously awful and I was wondering a few times why he was given the ball to kick it out of the defensive 50. I'm sure Hawthorn hoped he would kick it but on 1 or 2 occasions it was given to him to kick when there was no heat and someone else could have kicked it.

He's a warrior Browny but it's always heart in mouth when he's got the ball in hand. And I can't remember the last time one of his kicks went longer than it did higher.

and Frost is not much better.

Reid down back would be good with his Kicking

Brown defensively is fantastic. He's got decent closing speed for the faster key forwards and is our only key defender you'd be confident one out against the bulky full forwards. Frost, Reid and Marsh can't do it to the level he can.

He went from smashing Cameron to Pav in consecutive games, two very different types of opponents. He's also worked harder to make himself an offensive option, whether that's better intercept marking or leaving his man to be in a possession chain. The problem is that he's a really slow decision maker with only two moves, the handball and the roost. Because of that predictability, he can often sell teammates into trouble or struggle to pick out targets quickly enough to hit them in time.

Frost is a shanker and can miss easy targets but he isn't as predictable with his possessions and can just run it out of defence if necessary with his tremendous burst speed.

Honestly, you'd like all three of Brown, Frost and Reid in the team with Reid using used to take the resting ruckman or third tall instead of someone like Goldsack. Which is why Reid's body being made of glass is so frustrating. Put him in the back line, and it's potentially a top 4 defence. Put him in the forward and it's potentially a top 4 forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back