Mega Thread Adam Goodes (Trolls will be carded - read OP!)

Remove this Banner Ad

If the crowd boos Thurston it will say a lot about this entire situation and prove a lot about the so called reasons why Goodes is booed.

The weird thing is that Inglis does his 'goanna' after every try he scores which is exactly the same as the war dance Goodes did...and yet it is celebrated!

If the crowd boos Thurston it will say a lot about this entire situation and prove a lot about the so called reasons why Goodes is booed.

Yeah, it would be interesting if it happens. So far, the boos from NRL fans are reserved for players who had changed clubs, done something bad on field, or during State of Origin matches. I can't recall any racist boos from NRL fans.

The weird thing is that Inglis does his 'goanna' after every try he scores which is exactly the same as the war dance Goodes did...and yet it is celebrated!
I know. The argument from them is its not "threatening" the opposition supporters. Ridiculous.

I think, because there are so many Polynesian (and a few indigenous) NRL players, the crowds are more enlightened over these kind of celebrations. I would also assume that there are many Polynesians (Maoris, other Islanders) who are NRL fans.

I know. The argument from them is its not "threatening" the opposition supporters. Ridiculous.

Remind me how a make believe 'spear' is threatening! It is as threatening as me on the dance floor on a Friday night!

New Zealand embraces the Maori culture much more than Australia embracing it's own Indigenous culture. When you go to NZ, you will notice the Maori influence everywhere.
National anthem for instance, half of it sung in the native tongue. Wonder if the crowd are going to boo the all blacks when they do the Hakka in the Bledisloe next week, esp when they do the slit the throat bit, I think not.

Look at the haka..that has become an international spectacle and it is the exact same thing adam did

It is worse if you know the meaning behind it. I used to date a Kiwi girl and the gala is much worse

I wonder if people would have been upset if adam performed a planned war cry if it was set uo by the afl or if people are just insecure/intimidated by those who go against the grain in what they believe in

But the war dance would have lost it's magic if it was pre planned. Anyway, it's ridiculous to pre plan such things. People in Australia should just embrace these dances, like the Kiwis and other Pacific Islanders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remind me how a make believe 'spear' is threatening! It is as threatening as me on the dance floor on a Friday night!
Exactly, a smoke screen to hide behind, that's all

But the war dance would have lost it's magic if it was pre planned. Anyway, it's ridiculous to pre plan such things. People in Australia should just embrace these dances, like the Kiwis and other Pacific Islanders.
Thats my point. If the game was advertised with an aboriginal war cry performed by goodes, no one would care. Yet because he did it sour of the moment and with so much passion, people were "intimidated"

It really is pathetic

Wow.... some people on bf are pathetic. Just questioned a few people on the mb and they said they were booing goodes because they thought a free kick should have been paid against him. When i asked if they booed every other player that benefitted from the umps, the excuse turned into "i boo him because he won a premiership against us in 05"

Incredible
That main board is a scary place, scary scary opinions there

We'll need video evidence to determine that, which dance floor at what time?

Hey guys, I feel emotionally invested enough to come here and post.

First of all I am so proud of my club for getting on the front foot for other clubs to follow. My club has improved off fiend and on field and this is just another sign to me that we have turned the corner.

With the above out of the way, I have to say in all honesty I have booed Goodes, In my defense it was last year, in the last game we played against you, and it was for the dive in the second quarter. At the time I felt nothing off it, as it was no like I boo'ed every possession he has etc BUT I cant help feel ashamed by it today. Simply due to what we are witnessing now, is simply Vilification at best or down right Racism. In any form, vilification/bullying should be stamped out in all forms.

What changed my view was simply watching the WC game with my sons, have 4 boys from teenage years to 4 years old. My 8 year old started boo'ing goodes and when I asked him why?, he said "cause everyone is doing it and you did it at the sydney game last year". That forced me to turn the TV off and have a good conversation with the 4 of them, let me just say it opened my eyes.

No person should feel its a right to victimize someone doing there job, even if that job is on the footy field.

Anyway, sorry about rambling nature of my post. I really hope Adam continues playing AFL as the game needs its characters and would be poorer without him.

He deserves more.

Dude, you're fine, nothing wrong for booing a player for having a dive, or to put them off a shot for goal, or whatever. Goodes has been booed in the past for things here and there, nobody ever said that was racist, because it wasn't. At least not mostly.

One of the ironic things about this whole situation is that if/when Goodes does so something worth a short boo or something, it's been ruined.

Its one of my big regrets that murphy didnt play for the swans. he would have been the perfect half back flanker in our era of half back flankers. amazing footballer.

And he is so durable and can shake off taggers. A valuable player for the young Bulldongs team.

Hey guys, I feel emotionally invested enough to come here and post.

First of all I am so proud of my club for getting on the front foot for other clubs to follow. My club has improved off fiend and on field and this is just another sign to me that we have turned the corner.

With the above out of the way, I have to say in all honesty I have booed Goodes, In my defense it was last year, in the last game we played against you, and it was for the dive in the second quarter. At the time I felt nothing off it, as it was no like I boo'ed every possession he has etc BUT I cant help feel ashamed by it today. Simply due to what we are witnessing now, is simply Vilification at best or down right Racism. In any form, vilification/bullying should be stamped out in all forms.

What changed my view was simply watching the WC game with my sons, have 4 boys from teenage years to 4 years old. My 8 year old started boo'ing goodes and when I asked him why?, he said "cause everyone is doing it and you did it at the sydney game last year". That forced me to turn the TV off and have a good conversation with the 4 of them, let me just say it opened my eyes.

No person should feel its a right to victimize someone doing there job, even if that job is on the footy field.

Anyway, sorry about rambling nature of my post. I really hope Adam continues playing AFL as the game needs its characters and would be poorer without him.

He deserves more.

if you go back through a number of our match threads you will see quite a few swans fans who have been critical of him for diving - particularly in 2014. You wouldn't find too many who disagree with you that its a bad look.

but we are a long long way from that here. kudos to you for realising that.

Thats my point. If the game was advertised with an aboriginal war cry performed by goodes, no one would care. Yet because he did it sour of the moment and with so much passion, people were "intimidated"

It really is pathetic

This extends to some politicians too. I remember seeing my local Federal member reading the newspapers in parliament while Kevin Rudd was making the apology to the stolen generation !! :eek::mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back