• wayne carey

Votes: 85 54.5%
  • gary ablett snr

Votes: 71 45.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other way round. Carey was truly great. Ablett was out of this world at another level in terms of things he could do.
North had a better team and won premierships. Ablett was more solo brilliance that nearly almost won his team premierships he was so good. You need to be a champion team too. Geelong were not, hence the lost 4 grand finals in his time. Incredible they got to 4 though mostly based on his brilliance.

Geelong had more talent out of the field than NM did IMO.

Lol. As soon as anyone says easily, comfortably, by the length of.....referring to either one, then their opinion becomes void.

There's no player in the history of the sport who is easily better than either of these players.
Spot On that's how i see it aswell.

How lucky alot of us are to have seen these two Chamions play...

If I had to pick one thing to split them, its leadership, Carey had that in spades. Probably shouldn't have slept with stevos lady though..

Geelong were a better team than us and won no flags.

Carey 92-96 was beyond amazing.

Had more injuries than Ablett (3 shoulder recos) was a better leader, was the best wet weather forward I have ever seen.

And went on to the ball in the 3rd quarter of the grand final in '99 and showed what he could have done if he were played there his entire career.

Lockett is the 2nd best to have ever played behind Carey. Ablett was up there alongside his son, but IMO, Lockett and Carey are the best ever with Carey just ahead based on nothing more than bias.

Those saying either of these 2 is clearly better are being silly & indulging in hyperbole.

Both are on the top shelf of players in the past 40 years, & sit comfortably alongside other greats in Jesaulenko, Dempsey, Matthews & Lockett, in my time.

Whichever one of those you pick, it all comes down to a personal preference.

Carey is the greatest plAyer to have ever played the game. Ablett was just another forward like dunstall, plugger, and petrie

Carey is the greatest plAyer to have ever played the game. Ablett was just another forward like dunstall, plugger, and petrie

Actually....Barney has him covered & easily so, on almost every statistical front that matters.

More goals
More Premierships
More years of domiinance

Ablett by a long way for me. Easily the best player I have seen play since I have followed footy which is mid 70's.
He is the only player I have gone to a neutral game to watch purely just to see him play.
Of the other players mentioned in this thread, Mathews, Carey, Lockett and Dunstall they are all absolute champions but none of them could do what Ablett could do. Ablett can play almost every position on the ground except ruck maybe and dominate.
The fact he had so many downfalls like commitment, leadership, consistency makes it even more scary just how good he was. Those other players had all that apparantly and Ablett is still in the conversation.
I can safely say that the day I take my last breath in this world I will be able to say Gary Ablett senior was the best footballer I ever saw. Not seen anything close to him since he retired and see nothing to think the future will throw up another one.

GAS was the most exciting player of the era I have watched and amongst the best. Still for me Matthews and Carey are hard to split for the best I have seen. I go for Lethal but not by a lot. Carey was a great finals player and big game player. GAS bar 1989 didn't have that same sort of record. If you wanted to win a game or a flag I believe Carey was the better of the 2.

Both in the all time great list though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GAS bar 1989 didn't have that same sort of record.

Of course he didn't, he was 28 years of age when Geelong finally made finals in 1989.
Carey was 22 years of age when he played his first final.
Had Geelong made finals earlier that this, can you imagine what we would have seen from Ablett?
I often wonder what people would think of him had he remained at Hawthorn and got to play in finals after finals after finals and all those premierships.

Of course he didn't, he was 28 years of age when Geelong finally made finals in 1989.
Carey was 22 years of age when he played his first final.
Had Geelong made finals earlier that this, can you imagine what we would have seen from Ablett?
I often wonder what people would think of him had he remained at Hawthorn and got to play in finals after finals after finals and all those premierships.

Still have my copy of the 1982 Qualifying final record.... Our 3 emergencies that day were: Dermott Brereton, Chris Langford & Gary Ablett....o_O

Little wonder why we went on to play in the next 7 Grand Finals.

A big reason for Gary going AWOL at the end of 1982, was due to his 2 older brothers in Geoff & Kevin, moving over to play for Richmond.

wasn't Dippa in and out of the side too and playing reserves with those guys?

Much older....A good 7 years in fact....In 82 he was almost a regular & by 83 he finally established himself as a senior regular.

All of Derm, Langers & Ablett came thru together as juniors....Darren Millane & Brett Lovett were also around about that time too.o_O

Fancy Millane & Ablett in THAT side?....7 on the trot.

ridiculous amount of depth!
Even the lesser likes in Scwab or Eade seemed to have been solid footballers in their own right.
John Kennedy is another one who looks (going by game footage) to have been a handy footballer but these guys must have taken a backward step as the team was comprised of champions across nearly every position on the field.

Surprised that the poll is so heavily in Carey's favour. I'd have Carey ahead too but I thought the poll would be closer

These two players, along with Judd at his WCE peak, remain the only players I've gone to neutral games just to watch them play. All were an absolute treat to watch when on song. Ablett was a freak. Probably the most unique talent I've seen in a footballer. His over-the-head goal from the point post in a SoO match against SA sums it up for me. Like WTF. But you know, if I was picking between them, I would have to go with Carey. I don't know if this makes sense, but the radius of his presence extended further than Ablett's IMO. The guy was amazing.

Ablett by a long way for me. Easily the best player I have seen play since I have followed footy which is mid 70's.
He is the only player I have gone to a neutral game to watch purely just to see him play.
Of the other players mentioned in this thread, Mathews, Carey, Lockett and Dunstall they are all absolute champions but none of them could do what Ablett could do. Ablett can play almost every position on the ground except ruck maybe and dominate.
The fact he had so many downfalls like commitment, leadership, consistency makes it even more scary just how good he was. Those other players had all that apparantly and Ablett is still in the conversation.
I can safely say that the day I take my last breath in this world I will be able to say Gary Ablett senior was the best footballer I ever saw. Not seen anything close to him since he retired and see nothing to think the future will throw up another one.
Ability and output are two very different things. Ultimately I think it's output that determines a players standing in the game, and Careys output was higher than Abletts from what I remember.

Ability and output are two very different things. Ultimately I think it's output that determines a players standing in the game, and Careys output was higher than Abletts from what I remember.

I think there can be a debate that Carey was possibly more consistent? But it is not as if Abletts out put was low by any stretch, 1000 plus goals only playing FF for 6 seasons is phenomenal. You could make an argument if he had played FF his whole career he would easily of kicked the most goals in the history of the game.
Anyway it matters not as the question was asked in the thread and my opinion is Ablett by a long way. Obviously many don't agree but that is their opinion.

I think there can be a debate that Carey was possibly more consistent? But it is not as if Abletts out put was low by any stretch, 1000 plus goals only playing FF for 6 seasons is phenomenal. You could make an argument if he had played FF his whole career he would easily of kicked the most goals in the history of the game.
Anyway it matters not as the question was asked in the thread and my opinion is Ablett by a long way. Obviously many don't agree but that is their opinion.
Abletts goal average at FF was lower than both Dunstall and Locketts, it's unlikely he would have gone past either of them.

If Ablett played now he'd be a mid, perfect size for modern footy. IMO if he had of played his whole career on the ball he would've been better then Mattews. Would've smashed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back