• wayne carey

Votes: 85 54.5%
  • gary ablett snr

Votes: 71 45.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ablett was a brilliant footballer, an absolute freak.

But Carey was the most influential player I have seen. Played a much more team orientated game then Ablett did. I'd rather build a team around Carey then Ablett

Ablett's reputation has skyrocketed since his retirement, probably due to his highlight reel which gives a very flattering account of his career. When he was around in the 90s he was simply the third best full-forward after Lockett and Dunstall. Prior to that he was a forward who seemed to play all six positions in the forward line and while he was a no-brainer as one of the top 6 forwards in the league, he was never really considered the league's best player.

Carey on the other hand won the MVP a couple of times and was runner-up on four occasions where he also could have easily won it.

lol
Ablett Senior was easily the most dynamic, brilliant and complete footballer the game had ever seen in mid 80's. If anything, he wasn't consistent, or consistent to the level he had often displayed when on song (which was arguably the best footy ever seen).
If there were any doubts, they were answered comprehensively in 1989 onward's where he stamped his authority on the game nearly single-handedly plucking the Geelong Football club a premiership of his boot.
Had he played all of the 90 & 91 seasons, when the team was still at it's peak, it would be a much different story. It's irrelevant regardless, as 1992 until his retirement, he was soon to be regarded by many as one of the all time greats and not just one of the best players of his era (or a top 6 forward as you say podge :p)

Ablett won an MVP too. If a link could be found showing all the runners up dating back to 1984, he probably came close on a few occasions.

he was soon regarded by many as one of the all time greats and not just one of the best players of his era.

Same thing since he played against other all-time greats, particularly Matthews and Carey whose shadow he lives in.
Ablett won an MVP too. If a link could be found showing all the runners up dating back to 1984, he probably came close on a few occasions.

Maybe, maybe not.

Thought Carey kicked more goals than that.....
Ablett > Carey

Ablett was great but Carey was another level.
Other way round. Carey was truly great. Ablett was out of this world at another level in terms of things he could do.
North had a better team and won premierships. Ablett was more solo brilliance that nearly almost won his team premierships he was so good. You need to be a champion team too. Geelong were not, hence the lost 4 grand finals in his time. Incredible they got to 4 though mostly based on his brilliance.

Other way round. Carey was truly great. Ablett was out of this world at another level in terms of things he could do.
North had a better team and won premierships. Ablett was more solo brilliance that nearly almost won his team premierships he was so good. You need to be a champion team too. Geelong were not, hence the lost 4 grand finals in his time. Incredible they got to 4 though mostly based on his brilliance.

Well in the 94 pre lim Carey did all he could to drag north over the line kicking 6 with a calf strain. Whereas Ablett kicked the 1 (which will forever be remembered).

Well in the 94 pre lim Carey did all he could to drag north over the line kicking 6 with a calf strain. Whereas Ablett kicked the 1 (which will forever be remembered).

he kicked 3 goals in that game and it was arguably the worst final performance he has ever played. Even more so that the grand final the week after, or the 1995 grand final because he at least contributed goals in those other games and suffered hamstring tightness heading into the 1995 final series so there were excuses just as there were for Carey in some of his finals performances.

I would also argue that Michael Martyn was a better defender than Tim McGrath. Carey was 194cm tall & weighed in at 97kg's so size-wise, he always had McGrath covered (190cm & 94kg). Martyn was 190cm tall & 101kg's, significant size advantage over Ablett.
Ablett had it tougher when he became a permanent forward as he often had to contend with guys often best suited to playing on guys Carey's size.

he kicked 3 goals in that game and it was arguably the worst final performance he has ever played. Even more so that the grand final the week after, or the 1995 grand final because he at least contributed goals in those other games and suffered hamstring tightness heading into the 1995 final series so there were excuses just as there were for Carey in some of his finals performances..

Worst Ablett final was definitely 1995. Silvagni tore him apart.

Worst Ablett final was definitely 1995. Silvagni tore him apart.

nope, 1994 preliminary was worse.
Ablett was among a chain of possessions which helped setup goals in the 95 grand final as he was moved to the wing after halftime. He was also double teamed as Silvagni and Dean had him covered fairly comprehensively.
No shame in that though as Silvagni is one of the greatest defenders of them all. He did the same thing to Carey when he was in his prime during the very same final series keeping Carey to 11 touches and 1 goal.

People forget how athletic Silvagni actually was. Splendid agility and was deceptively taller than he appeared too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett was among a chain of possessions which helped setup goals in the 95 grand final as he was moved to the wing after halftime. .

You mean after the game was over? I've seen the 95 Grand Final, he racked up disposals in the midfield after he was beaten in the forward line, but he was by no means influential there either.

Ablett was among a chain of possessions which helped setup goals in the 95 grand final as he was moved to the wing after halftime. He was also double teamed as Silvagni and Dean had him covered fairly comprehensively.
No shame in that though as Silvagni is one of the greatest defenders of them all. He did the same thing to Carey when he was in his prime during the very same final series keeping Carey to 11 touches and 1 goal.

People forget how athletic Silvagni actually was. Splendid agility and was deceptively taller than he appeared too.

Technically 1996 would have been worse. Certainly had an excuse in that he should have retired. I remember watching him that day thinking how sad it was that he was playing.

he kicked 3 goals in that game and it was arguably the worst final performance he has ever played. Even more so that the grand final the week after, or the 1995 grand final because he at least contributed goals in those other games and suffered hamstring tightness heading into the 1995 final series so there were excuses just as there were for Carey in some of his finals performances.

I would also argue that Michael Martyn was a better defender than Tim McGrath. Carey was 194cm tall & weighed in at 97kg's so size-wise, he always had McGrath covered (190cm & 94kg). Martyn was 190cm tall & 101kg's, significant size advantage over Ablett.
Ablett had it tougher when he became a permanent forward as he often had to contend with guys often best suited to playing on guys Carey's size.

But u are right. He did kick 3, from 5 touches.

Anyway I'm not sure why I am bringing up these memories.

You mean after the game was over? I've seen the 95 Grand Final, he racked up disposals in the midfield after he was beaten in the forward line, but he was by no means influential there either.

never said anything about him being influential podge.
I am simply saying he played a poorer game in the 94 prelim than what he did in the 95 grand final.

Technically 1996 would have been worse. Certainly had an excuse in that he should have retired. I remember watching him that day thinking how sad it was that he was playing.

he was good in 1996. It wasn't until the end of the season did it look like he was washed up both physically and mentally. When he returned from suspension, he played a different role and shifted between full forward and half forward. Selfless in the fact he setup the most goals than what he had in almost any other season. The coach was preparing for life without Ablett and this is why we saw Hall, Mansfield & Colbert spend a lot of time at full forward that year. When he did go to full forward though, he still did what was needed and averaged 4 goals per game.

never said anything about him being influential podge.
I am simply saying he played a poorer game in the 94 prelim than what he did in the 95 grand final.

he was good in 1996. It wasn't until the end of the season did it look like he was washed up both physically and mentally. When he returned from suspension, he played a different role and shifted between full forward and half forward. Selfless in the fact he setup the most goals than what he had in almost any other season. The coach was preparing for life without Ablett and this is why we saw Hall, Mansfield & Colbert spend a lot of time at full forward that year. When he did go to full forward though, he still did what was needed and averaged 4 goals per game.

Sorry I meant in the final against us

If Carey wasn't such a prick off the field, y'all would appreciate him much more. Ablett was great but Carey was another level.
Although I voted Carey. He was most definitely not another level. The only way I could separate them for me was Carey a better on field leader. If you judged on 100% football ability Ablett would be one of the best ever to play the game (also one of the biggest low lifes... that is a different story though)

I never said he played a decent game. I have said he was comprehensively beaten by Silvagni and Dean but at least he battled on valiantly even after having his colours lowered.

You kind of did, at least in the post I was referring to. He had a stinker, let's leave it at that.

It is interesting you highlight these games but excuse some of Carey's performances on grand final day. The fact Carey was only 25/27 years of age, you would have expected a 'KING CAREY' type of performance in at least one of those three grand finals. Nothing exceptional in any of them. He simply played in a superior football team.

I didn't mention Carey.

That's just embarrassing. Let me guess, this episode was aired in 1993?

Why is it embarrassing?
This is a Carey v Ablett thread. That was aired midway through 1995.

Be great if you could find a link to all the MVP runners up. Someone on here must have it. The likes of Harvey, Williams, Lockett must have done well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back