World Cup Semi Final 2 Thursday July 11; England v Australia @ Edgbaston

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

lyon had the better economy over the tournament, yes. 5.32 p/o vs 7.15 p/o. zampa has more tricks and wickets up his sleeve but it costs you.
both have made pretty strong arguments not to play odi's for a while, we'll see what happens.

Lyon bowled well without taking wickets but was clearly bowling better than zampa, him getting belted today doesn't mean he was poor overall or that zampa should have been stuck with.

They will probably both play more odi cricket because our selectors don't care about the odi team until six months out from the next wc, the whole thing is a mess.

I felt half way through that the semi finals were our ceiling, behrendorff swinging it gave us hope of going further but as he came in Cummins lost all form we just never had more than two wicket taking threats in any one game.

The bowling relied on defending the consistent big runs from the opening pair but like with kohli and rohit if they failed we had no shot.

Yes, and our all-rounders turned out to be no-rounders which is so often the case these days. I laughed at Shane Watson's batting at test level, (never his crafty bowling) but he was a star one day player.

Gotta say, Stark bowled 95% rubbish throughout the tournament, took wkts with the rest, in his first spell today he didn't even bowl a yorker, not one, vastly overrated bowler IMO, dumb as dogshiat as well.

Cummins may as well not even played, was useless, he's fighting for his Ashes spot IMO, that's how bad he was, gave us nothing, give me a pace attack of Stark=Dorf=Pattinson in the Ashes, Cummins can EAD.

Cummins would've been dropped if we had a replacement IMO.

I've never been a fan of Stoinis, he's the epitome of a player picked because there really isn't anyone to fill this role and doesn't appear to have any head for pressure. Unlike Carey who must have been batting through a lot of pain and still having a go.
Can hopefully build our next world cup squad around Carey. Has captain written all over him. Will most likely be captain at the next world cup. He's building beautifully. Good enough to bat top 4 or 5, but shouldn't have to. Australia have an interesting dilemma on it's hands for the Ashes with Carey more than proving he should be in the team, yet our ring in captain is a keeper!!? You could make a case Carey and Wade should be playing. It would be funny af to see 3 keepers in the team!! Carey will most likely play as a batsman. In reality, Paine should make way for him..

Would much prefer we stop deluding ourselves with the tease of something scintillating. Maxwell is disappointing garbage, but we may be stuck with him until somebody rocks up with real stats and performance to challenge.
Maxy's goose is cooked unfortunately, I backed him all the way, he just can't bat beyond T20s.

Can hopefully build our next world cup squad around Carey. Has captain written all over him. Will most likely be captain at the next world cup. He's building beautifully. Good enough to bat top 4 or 5, but shouldn't have to. Australia have an interesting dilemma on it's hands for the Ashes with Carey more than proving he should be in the team, yet our ring in captain is a keeper!!? You could make a case Carey and Wade should be playing. It would be funny af to see 3 keepers in the team!! Carey will most likely play as a batsman. In reality, Paine should make way for him..

Paine is a better keeper and has been batting ok at test level. See no reason to replace him yet. Carey might be an excellent number 6 in the test team as is obviously not afraid of facing pressure situations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that sucked! Also, imagine Warner did what Roy did...you don't suppose some would be calling for him to miss the final? Shocking.
If Warner, or pretty much any Australian player did what Roy did, he’d be suspended before Morgan even faced a ball.

I've never been a fan of Stoinis, he's the epitome of a player picked because there really isn't anyone to fill this role and doesn't appear to have any head for pressure. Unlike Carey who must have been batting through a lot of pain and still having a go.
A 2015 James Faulkner changes a lot. Given his age you would've pencilled him to be right in the middle of his prime right now, but instead he's completely on the outer (correctly as well - his form has been terrible for a long time).

The following holes need filling:
- Two lower order power hitters (We didn't really have any in this cup. Maxwell is good enough for one of those roles, but had a poor WC and his future in the ODI team will definitely be shaky. The cupboard is bare for the other option at the moment. I don't think Stoinis is good enough here.)
- All rounder (Preferably takes one of the lower order hitting roles as well. We're in all sorts of trouble here. Maxwell is a good #6 bowler, but not a good enough #5. Mitch Marsh has done this role before but is a long way off at the moment. Again I don't think Stoinis is good enough for this role.)
- Spinner (Even more trouble. Don't even know where to look here.)

Even at our best we are probably a few players short of a fully balanced world class ODI XI, then combine that with Cummins and Khawaja only being so-so in this cup and we became extremely dependant on our top players, and when they don't perform (like today) this is what happens.

I think Carey will move to permanent #4 or #5 for the foreseeable future.

Paine is a better keeper and has been batting ok at test level. See no reason to replace him yet. Carey might be an excellent number 6 in the test team as is obviously not afraid of facing pressure situations.

Carey is no hope for the ashes, as good as he batted he cost us a lot with the gloves, he completes that stumping we might keep sa to a reasonable total, he made runs that game but less than what he cost us.

A 2015 James Faulkner changes a lot. Given his age you would've pencilled him to be right in the middle of his prime right now, but instead he's completely on the outer (correctly as well - his form has been terrible for a long time).

The following holes need filling:
- Two lower order power hitters (We didn't really have any in this cup. Maxwell is good enough for one of those roles, but had a poor WC and his future in the ODI team will definitely be shaky. The cupboard is bare for the other option at the moment. I don't think Stoinis is good enough here.)
- All rounder (Preferably takes one of the lower order hitting roles as well. We're in all sorts of trouble here. Maxwell is a good #6 bowler, but not a good enough #5. Mitch Marsh has done this role before but is a long way off at the moment. Again I don't think Stoinis is good enough for this role.)
- Spinner (Even more trouble. Don't even know where to look here.)

Even at our best we are probably a few players short of a fully balanced world class ODI XI, then combine that with Cummins and Khawaja only being so-so in this cup and we became extremely dependant on our top players, and when they don't perform (like today) this is what happens.

I think Carey will move to permanent #4 or #5 for the foreseeable future.

That obviously wasn't the real Faulkner though. He fell away big time, so it can't have been.

More disappointed in the South Africa loss. Things could have been different.
Yep
We didn’t. We achieved exactly what was expected and not a smidgeon more. Easily top 4 in the world, which was patently obvious once we got our 2 best players back, but just not good enough for anything more.
Yep. This loss really hurt after we won the toss and batted though. Everything was in our favour but I was fearful of playing England again and the fear was obviously warranted

For all his flaws, Maxwell should stay. Just had a s**t tournament, it happens. Same as Cummins. Stoinis is done. We relied heavily on Finch, Warner and Starc but they couldn't bail us out every single game

Back