World Cup Semi Final 2 Thursday July 11; England v Australia @ Edgbaston

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The crazy thing is why put himself in that position? It would be like Josh Kennedy going ape s**t at the goal umpire for giving him a behind instead of a goal in the fourth quarter of last years prelim.

Your team is in the final. Just forgot about it.
He is a different Cat who beats a different drum . His mindframe ideal for pressure but not pragmatism . Deserved 100 was robbed .

Think we realistically need to give a few others a chance.

Who though? Both Zampa and Lyon were fair picks for this tournament.

As was Maxwell as an extra spin bowler for that matter, at least we know he can hit the ball and his spin bowling is useful and his fielding is outstanding. He hasn't really come off in this tournament but I suppose they'll stick with him.

based on how England have performed, 350 would not have been enough today.
We lost it with the ball, but our bowling has being dire. If England won the toss and we bowled like this, we'd be blaming the bowlers for making our batsmen try to chase down 400.

In many respects, I think our bowling was worse than our batting today, but you never know how things pan out if we score another 50 runs and put that little bit of extra pressure on. So the bowlers get let off the hook a little bit. We were chasing the game from the second over.

In the end totally outplayed by a better team. I think our win over them earlier gave us a bit of false hope, and Roy changes everything in this England team. He brings out the best in Bairstow as well which then sets the course for their innings.

Back to the drawing board for us. Too many passengers, and the problem is we don't have anything waiting in the wings. People can blame selectors all they want, but the reality is those on the outer were unlikely to have made a huge difference. Our players just aren't quite there in the shorter forms.

We lost it with the ball, but our bowling has being dire. If England won the toss and we bowled like this, we'd be blaming the bowlers for making our batsmen try to chase down 400.

In many respects, I think our bowling was worse than our batting today, but you never know how things pan out if we score another 50 runs and put that little bit of extra pressure on. So the bowlers get let off the hook a little bit. We were chasing the game from the second over.

In the end totally outplayed by a better team. I think our win over them earlier gave us a bit of false hope, and Roy changes everything in this England team. He brings out the best in Bairstow as well which then sets the course for their innings.

Back to the drawing board for us. Too many passengers, and the problem is we don't have anything waiting in the wings. People can blame selectors all they want, but the reality is those on the outer were unlikely to have made a huge difference. Our players just aren't quite there in the shorter forms.

Half the problem is players like Maxwell and Zampa are constantly dropped over the last 4 years, never get a chance to settle then they realise there is no one else and are expected to perform consistently when not given the opportunity in the previous 4 years to do so.

Who though? Both Zampa and Lyon were fair picks for this tournament.

As was Maxwell as an extra spin bowler for that matter, at least we know he can hit the ball and his spin bowling is useful and his fielding is outstanding. He hasn't really come off in this tournament but I suppose they'll stick with him.
Would much prefer we stop deluding ourselves with the tease of something scintillating. Maxwell is disappointing garbage, but we may be stuck with him until somebody rocks up with real stats and performance to challenge.

Felt at the time that Smith and Warner coming back was the worst thing, team was playing s**t with them before the bans, had turned the corner with a new team then they had to upheave it all. Went with the wrong squad on balance because they couldn’t make the big call between Marsh and Khawaja and JLs love of Stoinis

Sure those two were 2 of their better players, but hurt the balance and harmony of the squad.

But a lot of focus will be in the batting, the bowling was quite poor. Lyon was always the wrong choice and Cummins has been a disappointment since the first couple of games but he isn’t droppable.
Starc was like wallpaper covering over the cracks tbh. Cummins had a terrible campaign. As good as Lyon is at test cricket, he's not a ODI player. Should have stuck with Zampa, but even he proves we lack a world class spinner. And Stoinis was poo the whole tournament. I have no idea why we persisted with him. His bowling is pedestrian and his batting even worse. I'd rather we played NCN or Marsh, and I cant stand either of them. Starc was fantastic, however if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have made the Semi's..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would much prefer we stop deluding ourselves with the tease of something scintillating. Maxwell is disappointing garbage, but we may be stuck with him until somebody rocks up with real stats and performance to challenge.

Well, of course, but we don't have those players just hanging around. Or at least I can't think of anyone else who should have been in the squad. Mitch Marsh is a decent player but he isn't a superstar anymore than Stoinis is.

Like I said, I don't know how they determine it.

But I think in the circumstances the ICC will take the easy option and give him 2 points. It's definitely straddling the border between dissent and serious dissent.

He might be a dick, but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable a player missing a WC final over something like that. It wasn't a great look, but that punishment would be pretty extreme (Not going to lie - if he gets suspended I will have a good laugh).

To be honest I think 2 points is probably right anyway, but he is very close to a Level 2 offence.
I personally think it’s serious dissent, but given it’s a World Cup final would not be shocked if they simply call it as dissent. If it was just another bilateral series, reckon he’d be gone for sure.

With Maxwell, I've resigned myself to the fact that he's a talented batsman who has been ruined by training himself to premeditate every shot for the T20 game. Works in the BBL where there's plenty of third rate bowlers he can outsmart and aren't good enough to give him anything he's not expecting, but as soon as the ball does something he doesn't expect he's in trouble because he needs to cancel his premeditation and then recalibrate leaving him well behind the play by the time he needs to make a shot.

I dunno, just my two cents. I hold the BBL responsible for Chris Lynn capitulating early in his career as well. It's telling that the big highlight of his BBL career is tonking an old well past his prime Shaun Tait around.

Felt at the time that Smith and Warner coming back was the worst thing, team was playing s**t with them before the bans, had turned the corner with a new team then they had to upheave it all. Went with the wrong squad on balance because they couldn’t make the big call between Marsh and Khawaja and JLs love of Stoinis

Sure those two were 2 of their better players, but hurt the balance and harmony of the squad.

But a lot of focus will be in the batting, the bowling was quite poor. Lyon was always the wrong choice and Cummins has been a disappointment since the first couple of games but he isn’t droppable.
England had dilemna as well . David Willey's batting would have been better than Archers and the Pakistan and SriLanka games needed a tailender to put a few balls over the fence . England nearly missing the finals .
Alex Hales better than Vince . I understand the message and agree with it . Still a tough decision .

I felt half way through that the semi finals were our ceiling, behrendorff swinging it gave us hope of going further but as he came in Cummins lost all form we just never had more than two wicket taking threats in any one game.

The bowling relied on defending the consistent big runs from the opening pair but like with kohli and rohit if they failed we had no shot.

Starc was like wallpaper covering over the cracks tbh. Cummins had a terrible campaign. As good as Lyon is at test cricket, he's not a ODI player. Should have stuck with Zampa, but even he proves we lack a world class spinner. And Stoinis was poo the whole tournament. I have no idea why we persisted with him. His bowling is pedestrian and his batting even worse. I'd rather we played NCN or Marsh, and I cant stand either of them. Starc was fantastic, however if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have made the Semi's..

I've never been a fan of Stoinis, he's the epitome of a player picked because there really isn't anyone to fill this role and doesn't appear to have any head for pressure. Unlike Carey who must have been batting through a lot of pain and still having a go.

Lyon kept things tight in the eng/nz wins and it forced them to take huge risks vs the quicks, he struggled today but those stats are misleading and you know it.

lyon had the better economy over the tournament, yes. 5.32 p/o vs 7.15 p/o. zampa has more tricks and wickets up his sleeve but it costs you.
both have made pretty strong arguments not to play odi's for a while, we'll see what happens.

lyon had the better economy over the tournament, yes. 5.32 p/o vs 7.15 p/o. zampa has more tricks and wickets up his sleeve but it costs you.
both have made pretty strong arguments not to play odi's for a while, we'll see what happens.
The problem I have with Lyon is that his bowling is pretty one dimensional. Once a guy gets his rhythm down (like Willey in that practice game ages ago) Lyon seems to be cannon fodder without any tricks up his sleeve to stem the flow of runs. You've got to bank on him getting through his overs before someone decides they want to risk hitting him out of the attack.

Agree 100%. You have zero faith in Maxwell when he comes to the crease. He hits that 70 off 30 balls once every ten innings which keeps him in the team. Zero consistency. No clue as to how to bat in different game situations. Can't play the short ball. And he wonders why he doesn't get picked for tests. Glenn, If the selectors had any balls, you'll struggle to play for Australia in any format other than 20/20 where you can get away with your inconsistent brainless game. Most people were calling for Maxwell and Stoinis to be replaced mid tournament. The fact both were still in the team for the Semi is quite staggering. Even our #7 bat ended up batting ahead if these clowns in the Semi. Both should be dumped and replaced with some young talent. We have 4 years to build. Surely Stoinis and Maxwell are the first to make way..

Back