List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
Excuse the intrusion, but I thought it was worth taking into account this bio Tom Barrass - Talent - SWITCH on TB in addition to all the other comments/opinions suggested above to helping understand why TB might want to stay or leave West Coast.
TB is highly intelligent, and a deep thinker, and one would expect that whatever happens at the end of the year he has deeply considered what a move to Sydney would mean to him and his family short and long term.
He will be a massive loss to the Eagles if a trade happens, a risk (only time will tell if the right move for club) the Eagles are wiling to take if the right trade can be done to help start a rebuild.
If he does join the Swans, you are getting much more then an A-Grade defender. I, and I expect other Eagles supporters will continue to watch TB and wish him every success in his career.
Interesting times ahead.

Excuse the intrusion, but I thought it was worth taking into account this bio Tom Barrass - Talent - SWITCH on TB in addition to all the other comments/opinions suggested above to helping understand why TB might want to stay or leave West Coast.
TB is highly intelligent, and a deep thinker, and one would expect that whatever happens at the end of the year he has deeply considered what a move to Sydney would mean to him and his family short and long term.
He will be a massive loss to the Eagles if a trade happens, a risk (only time will tell if the right move for club) the Eagles are wiling to take if the right trade can be done to help start a rebuild.
If he does join the Swans, you are getting much more then an A-Grade defender. I, and I expect other Eagles supporters will continue to watch TB and wish him every success in his career.
Interesting times ahead.
My lordy what a dum bum 🤣

As an aside, I have visited the Theravada Buddhist monastery in Kandy, Sri Lanka and it's fascinating. Just did a tour as I am into Buddhism, but to have studied there would be something else again.

Interesting times ahead.
"His interest in the physical sciences lie in the fields or neuroscience, classical physics and quantum mechanics. His philosophical interests are concerned with ethics, epistemology, philosophy of mind and metaphysics."

Typical backman.

Why wouldn't he?
  • Two young kids he may not want to take away from their grandparents and all the support, love etc that grandparents can offer (see Tom Hickey). Theres no Swans players with young kids except Reid and Hickey who both may not be around next year.
  • He may prefer to live in his new home that he owns rather than pay top dollar to live a rental of much less quality (See Tom Hickey)
  • Hes already on good money and has another 4 years on his contract.
  • Maybe hes on more money as hes part of the Eagles leadership group.
  • Maybe he would enjoy being a leader of a rebuild, and like a lot of Swans older players, feed off the energy of the young crew coming through
  • His sister keeps popping up on Naismiths Instagram.

There are plenty of reasons to stay.
Pretty much agree with all those points.
Telling his wife/inlaws/parents he wants to move the family away would go down like a lead balloon I'd imagine.
Unless we want to pay him substantially more money, why would he move?
We surely don't want to pay him any more than $750k.

It's not like Sydney is any better than Perth as a place to live. It's substantially worse these days. Place is an ugly, expensive Meriton nightmare for the most part, made up of people from the arse-ends of the world all clawing over each other to get money.

Telling his wife/inlaws/parents he wants to move the family away would go down like a lead balloon I'd imagine.

It's not like Sydney is any better than Perth as a place to live. It's substantially worse these days. Place is an ugly, expensive Meriton nightmare for the most part, made up of people from the arse-ends of the world all clawing over each other to get money.
How could anyone possibly know about the family discussion that may or may not go on between someone and their family?

Maybe he wants to move because the Eagles are worse than Fitzroy and he doesn't want to play the rest of his career getting thrashed every week.

Maybe he doesn't have to ask permission from his parents if he decides he wants to move interstate.

Maybe he is one of the rare millions, who would rather live in Sydney than Perth.

Why wouldn't he?
  • Two young kids he may not want to take away from their grandparents and all the support, love etc that grandparents can offer (see Tom Hickey). Theres no Swans players with young kids except Reid and Hickey who both may not be around next year.
  • He may prefer to live in his new home that he owns rather than pay top dollar to live a rental of much less quality (See Tom Hickey)
  • Hes already on good money and has another 4 years on his contract.
  • Maybe hes on more money as hes part of the Eagles leadership group.
  • Maybe he would enjoy being a leader of a rebuild, and like a lot of Swans older players, feed off the energy of the young crew coming through
  • His sister keeps popping up on Naismiths Instagram.

There are plenty of reasons to stay.

He would potentially be moving to Sydney. He isn't moving to Syria.

Family is still allowed to visit.

Our fire is full of irons, hoping that one or more of them are going to seize the opportunities we have available.

Amartey could be an absolute weapon with greater fitness and consistency. With a couple more preseaons under his belt, and if he can remain injury free, the sky is the limit. He seems such a natural talent. He has the speed and athlecitism of a leading forward but he can also take a strong contested mark. He shows no fear of throwing his body into contests. If he can build up his tank he would be my bet as the one to fill Reid's role. McLean's another option but he seems to lack Amartey's speed and mobility. Both are still fairly young talls (23 and 24 respectively). I'd want to see McLean make the next step up next year, while Amartey should but probably has another year's grace.

I don't know whether Hickey is spent or just struggling against fitness/injury. Ladhams has shown glimpses but is yet to convince me one way or another.

geez, that's a good line!

From Sam Edmund (SEN):

“Tom Barrass, close to a formality to Sydney, I’m hearing,” Edmund began on SEN’s Whateley.

“That will be happening. Signed a five-year deal at the Eagles in 2021 so he’ll need to be traded and that’s the whole point, isn’t it?

“He has currency as the Eagles look to rebuild. Sydney, well they have to give something decent.

“A 27-year-old best and fairest winner and a premiership defender. They have been into him for a while, Sydney. There is a link there and this is not new interest from club to player, but this year it sounds like it’s absolutely happening.”

are we the only club these people say that about?
where was that re adelaide and dawson?
dawson's a better footballer than barrass ... although that is more a reflection that a lot of the vic media are sh1t judges of sydney players
reading a comment like that is really annoying

Yea I'd imagine all 3 parties have agreement in principle and the finer details to be ironed out. If we assume the deal is done, I wonder how much say the swans have in barrass for the rest of he season. Given the Eagles have absolutely nothing to play for , is it reasonable for the swans to say " look given wce injury history atm, and ladder position, any deal os contingent on barrass being fit and healthy , please consider playing barrass in reduced roll to close out the season to mitigate the risk of any long term injury "

Interestingly barrass pulled out late last week

and he didn't seem to want to get in the way much at the scg in june, didn't want to hurt any of his future teammates

for example last year everyone knew:

mcstay was going to collingwood
jackson was going to freo
lobb was going to the dogs

there are probably others that i cant remember.

it was already well known what was going to happen

dangerfield to geelong was a given about two years before it happened

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need Barass. Now is the time. End of story.

Stick your banking of draft picks for 70kg wringing wet pot luck 18yr olds up your Lemonade.
Yep. Can't say I was that keen when the chatter first started, but some very good points have been made on here and I've really come around. His position is our most glaring weakness and the one we've struggled hardest to cover.

If the reports that it's a done deal already are to be believed, I'm thinking they already know the future of Paddy 😞

are we the only club these people say that about?
where was that re adelaide and dawson?
dawson's a better footballer than barrass ... although that is more a reflection that a lot of the vic media are sh1t judges of sydney players
reading a comment like that is really annoying
Dawson was out of contract and wanted to go home, where the Crows had an early pick in the PSD (earlier than Port anyway). We got shafted by the Crows, but it's a different situation.

Overall though, yes, the Swans have to overpay more than most. Hence why it's hard to attract a bunch of big names these days without ruining our salary structure and bleeding other players.

Don't discount West Coast paying part of his salary to get a best deal possible. The Eagles will have a young squad over the next couple of years, so could potentially offer paying half that salary to make a better deal palatable for both teams.

Interesting times ahead.
Thanks for that insight. Swans have some pretty good connections that might be of value to Tom. Sounds a very interesting bloke. Hope he makes the move.

Main story Herald Sun online headlining Robbo saying Buddy informed family and friends 4 weeks ago of retirement plans. Now saying he could play on in 2024😂

Main story Herald Sun online headlining Robbo saying Buddy informed family and friends 4 weeks ago of retirement plans. Now saying he could play on in 2024😂
i trust he knows what happened to tom brady after he changed retirement plans and decided to play on ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back