Autopsy AFL 2023 First Preliminary Final - Pies v GWS Fri Sept 22nd 7:50pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 63 28.5%
  • GWS by 7 - 20

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • GWS by a lot

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I need a moment to make sure it isn’t recency bias but that’s one of the best games of football I’ve ever seen.
If it was the Giants who’d got up by 1 point, a whole lot of other people on here would agree with you.

Not when it’s Collingwood though. The sooky lalas were out in force for the last 30-40 pages 😂

Anyone who calls that game terrible has no idea what constitutes a great final. That was an incredible game filled with the most intense pressure. If you prefer free flowing high scoring bruise free sporting contests watch the basketball.
The game was fantastic, both teams played awesome but........ Those non frees to GWS was a stain on that very very good game.

Gotta love the pain Greene is going through. You want to see that from your leader.
Pretty sure I saw Swans supporters on here using a photo of Ginnivan and Daicos crying together after last year’s PF loss. It’s strange how the colour of a player’s side dictates people’s reactions to the emotions.

So what I’ve established from this thread this evening is:

• Umpires favoured Collingwood.
  • GWS didn’t deserve to lose.
  • Collingwood didn’t deserve to win.
  • Daicos should be suspended.
  • Pendles should also be suspended for the very same tackle… somehow.
  • Only GWS frees were missed.
  • No frees for Collingwood were missed.
  • Moore became a serial killer.
  • Maynard is now a criminal.
  • Nick Daicos is back to being soft again.
  • Collingwood are rubbish because they ‘fell over the line’ against 7th.
  • For a team that is so clearly disliked, there are far too many people here looking forward to seeing Collingwood next week.
  • Coles would’ve clearly run out of tissues tonight as so many ‘neutrals’ wipe away their tears.

Not only that, giants lost Daniel’s for a concussion test at the most crucial part of the game.
Kingsley in the post game presser was pissed about that and was fairly adamant there was no need for it. Went as far as stating GWS will be going to the AFL about it.

Either he’s the complete opposite to Goodwin or there was nothing wrong with that tackle/Daniels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading some different posts about umpiring etc.

I’m a one-eyed Giants fan and in the past there have been games I honestly felt we got the rough end from officials.

Tonight was not one of those times, both sides got good and bad calls and honestly the lack of free kicks made for a very exciting contest.

We tried our guts out, at times lacked a little composure but that was mainly because of the referred manic pressure which Collingwood put on us.

As with any game there was some good and bad luck but they were just a bit more clinical, their marking really hurt us and De Goey was a dead set machine tonight, that’s the closest thing I’ve seen to Dusty.

Getting so close bloody hurts, but halfway through the year we were looking at draft position not getting into a Grand Final. Getting so close is a great effort, it counts for nothing next year but hopefully the hurt is harnessed into extra motivation and we can get there.

Disappointed but bloody proud, we don’t have a lot of support and constantly ribbed about being “plastic” etc, hopefully the efforts this year can show the footy world and people especially in Sydney this is a bloody good club and well worth supporting.
I’m struggling to find any GWS supporters whinging about the umpiring as much as all these supporters of other clubs who clearly hate Collingwood.

It was a bloody brilliant game of footy and both sides would’ve been worthy winners.

You guys seriously have one of the best defences in the comp, and that midfield is a friggen scary prospect to face. Green will be the #1 midfielder in the comp very shortly, if not already.

You kicked 2 goals in a half of football in near-perfect conditions. Not even Melbourne's dysfunctional forward line is that bad...
You’re talking about the 4th best scoring team in the comp. (And 2nd best defence)

As the great Mourinho would say, “Rezpect! Rezpect!”

I think the Hawks won three of their prelims by less than a goal during their dominant era before going on to win the flag. Sometimes the prelim is more intense and high pressured than the GF.
In fact I'm pretty sure that Jarryd Roughead said prelims are always the toughest games

I honestly didn't notice all these "missed free kicks" to gws. And I was barracking for gws. I thought gws did enough to win the game but obviously not. The team that wins is the team that deserves to win at the end of the day. There's simply no way around that.

Collingwood will smash Brisbane next week.

I don't think they'll smash whoever they play , whether it's Brisbane or Carlton. I expect a close grand final.

Bloody unbelievable spectacle.
GWS lost no admirers with that performance.
Thought Josh Kelly was immense, close to BOG.
Tom Green huge early but De Goey shaded him, one of the best finals performances I've seen. Just couldn't be brought to ground.
Jesse Hogan stood up and nailed the set shot late, and his hands were so clean.
Briggs did very well up against a tag team all night, he's shouldered a big load all year.
There were definitely some missed umpiring calls and on balance we got the rub of the green,it didn't seem as huge as some seem to make it out to be, but I'm biased.
Toby Greene actually did himself no favours by not accentuating the contact.
Dan McStay took some really clean grabs under pressure, hope against hope the injury isn't as bad as the early prognosis 😥
Top game, hopefully for the neutrals as well.

The game was fantastic, both teams played awesome but........ Those non frees to GWS was a stain on that very very good game.
type set GIF

Back