Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jared Brennan just tweeted re: McKenna's sacking:

So I just heard bluey got the flick....damn, a year late!!! In all seriousness though, 1/2
feel for the players that didn't get the chance to develop and excel because of his stubbornness and one minded ways. 2/2.

Bitter Fella

What a complete and total campaigner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the GC job and the Ess job and potentially the WB job - whoever the crows have lined up will need to have a couple of hundred thous added to their salary.

Apart fro WB - you would think the other two clubs would be more appealing from a talent perspective.

Yep Hirdy will be sacked tomorrow.

The decision has already been made though. The board meeting is a formality.

I said on Sunday he would be gone by Christmas, I should have said by the weekend.

This coach scenario will become like an exquisite game of chess, once all the pieces are on the board

The thing is, the cupboard is pretty bare as far as coaches go. Well, untried miracle bringing coaches go. Magic 36 year old wizards. Ha!

I don't understand why sacked coaches are basically thrown on the scrapheap once their final press conference is over.

Imagine if most of us could start our jobs over again knowing what we know, things would be completely different. In a good way.

Are the likes of Terry Wallace, Rodney Eade, Matthew Knights, Gary Ayers, Mark Harvey, Mark Williams, Brett Ratten, Matthew Primus or Neil Craig never again able to coach at the highest level, simply because the board at their club felt he wasn't popular enough anymore?

The AFL seems to be a cult of personality that destroys coaches and their reputations. Criticise soccer all you want that they are fickle but AFL footy has become a coaching nightmare that the public is not mature enough to deal with.

Brad Scott (117 games) and Damien Hardwick (113 games) are the second longest serving coaches behind Alastair Clarkson as the second longest serving coaches in the AFL. Damn.

Once the AFL fix their umpiring problems, their ticketing problems, their rule change problems, their scheduling problems, their draft problems, their new franchise problems, their grand final entertainment problems, their "racism, sexism, gayism" problems, their TV coverage problems then perhaps they will think about how to keep their coaches in the system.

Brad Scott (117 games) and Damien Hardwick (113 games) are the second longest serving coaches behind Alastair Clarkson as the second longest serving coaches in the AFL. Damn.

Once the AFL fix their umpiring problems, their ticketing problems, their rule change problems, their scheduling problems, their draft problems, their new franchise problems, their grand final entertainment problems, their "racism, sexism, gayism" problems, their TV coverage problems then perhaps they will think about how to keep their coaches in the system.
Same thing with the Premier League last I checked. Outside of Wenger, the next longest serving in their current jobs were Pardew, Big Sam and Rodgers (feels like yesterday he was appointed!).

Dame Edna Everage once said, "Even from my early days, I had perfected the art of laughing at the misfortunes of others." It seems appropriate as a Port fan right now: we can go quietly about our business, while other teams try to sort themselves out!!!

What a day, Gold Coast sack McKenna, Hird about to go, Essendon fans turning on Bomber Thompson saying he's a rat cos he wouldn't stay at the club unless he was a senior coach, Cripps quietly confident we will get Ryder and Gorringe.So much for a quiet off season, well for us it is anyway what bliss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back