2015 Pre-Season (All news, press conferences, training reports)

Remove this Banner Ad

I went along again today.

They did a bit of general skills stuff for a while, nothing noteworthy there, other than to say Browny was along today, before breaking into forwards (blocking for each other and leading), mids (boundary throw ins) and backs (running it out of the backline) for some specific stuff, before moving onto a bit of match simulation and finally finishing with some running (400's).

In regards to the part where they broke up into groups it was interesting to note that Paparone, Claye Beams, Lester and Andrews were with the backs. Golby, Rich and Hanley were all exclusively in the the mids (didn't move back at any point, even though a few guys such as Mitch Robinson moved between groups) and McStay and Dawson were with the forwards.

They were going for it in the 400's today as opposed to the easy 400's last wednesday. Paparone, Robertson, O'Brien and Close in the top group stayed together and were running the fastest times going by the splits they were yelling out. Mayes, Paine, McStay and Andrews were also impressive I thought.

One funny thing, when the forwards were doing their blocking and leading drill, Browny was acting as a defender. On one occasion, the kick in missed the target and hit the ground, as they scrambled to get it, Browny ended up picking it up, giving a big fend off to someone that I missed, that knocked him on his arse, before snapping the goal. The boys loved it and had a big old laugh. Browny was still mimicking the fend off a couple of minutes later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full album here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk2U7S3v

Rained for a bit, but mostly overcast conditions for today's training, hence the darker photos.

Missed the first hour unfortunately due to traffic, but apparently they had just been doing repeat sprints. When I got there, they were doing crumbing drills with Brown the target, so Blacky or one of the assistant coaches would kick the ball to Browny, he would then palm it down where the two guys try and crumb it and kick for goal. I saw Zorko and Beams(D) pair up and they formed quite an explosive duo, while Redden and Lester I believe were the other duo.

Christensen and Martin were doing walking/jogging laps, probably still nursing their injuries I believe.

After this, stoppage scenarios. Archie would be the ruckman from a throw in, they'd fight for the ball at ground level, deliver to the forward pocket, where one of the forwards will 'spill' the mark, and the pack advances to finish off with a goal.

If you guys see the photos, you can see Bewick/Hanley outside the stoppage, so they'd be the ones to receive on game day. Rich couldn't miss a target, he's looking in top shape. Rocky and Golby were the standouts in this drill IMO, executing perfect passes and handballs, and usually it'd be Redden or Robertson on the end finishing it off. On the other side of the field, they were doing lead up practice for the forwards, so pretty much leading into space, how to get away from your defender, clearing space for your tall forwards, all that. Zorko was in that group, and they were very loud and vocal which was great to see.

The other group, I'm not too sure what they were doing, but maybe handball drills? Not too sure.

After this, match simulation, where a player, usually Beams(C), would kick out and they'd carry the ball from end to end. Interestingly, they had one or two guys go up for the marking contest each time, so presumably they just wanted them to get the kicking and execution right, rather than contesting the mark. This happened for about 30 minutes, but Close took a couple of nice marks and converted them as well. Rich and Golby were the standouts in this drill, did not see them miss.

After this, it was just laps, sprints, laps and laps again. Same leaders in every pack.

First pack: Close, Paparona, O'Brien, Robertson
Second pack: Paine, McStay, Beams(C), Andrews(?)
Third pack: Green, Rich, Adcock, Beams, Golby, Harwood. Hanley, Robinson, Lester, Rockliff
Last pack: Archie, Bourke, Gardiner, Clarke, Freeman

Any other questions, let me know, I'll try and answer them for you.

Rained for a bit, but mostly overcast conditions for today's training, hence the darker photos.

Missed the first hour unfortunately due to traffic, but apparently they had just been doing repeat sprints. When I got there, they were doing crumbing drills with Brown the target, so Blacky or one of the assistant coaches would kick the ball to Browny, he would then palm it down where the two guys try and crumb it and kick for goal. I saw Zorko and Beams(D) pair up and they formed quite an explosive duo, while Redden and Lester I believe were the other duo.

Christensen and Martin were doing walking/jogging laps, probably still nursing their injuries I believe.

After this, stoppage scenarios. Archie would be the ruckman from a throw in, they'd fight for the ball at ground level, deliver to the forward pocket, where one of the forwards will 'spill' the mark, and the pack advances to finish off with a goal.

If you guys see the photos, you can see Bewick/Hanley outside the stoppage, so they'd be the ones to receive on game day. Rich couldn't miss a target, he's looking in top shape. Rocky and Golby were the standouts in this drill IMO, executing perfect passes and handballs, and usually it'd be Redden or Robertson on the end finishing it off. On the other side of the field, they were doing lead up practice for the forwards, so pretty much leading into space, how to get away from your defender, clearing space for your tall forwards, all that. Zorko was in that group, and they were very loud and vocal which was great to see.

The other group, I'm not too sure what they were doing, but maybe handball drills? Not too sure.

After this, match simulation, where a player, usually Beams(C), would kick out and they'd carry the ball from end to end. Interestingly, they had one or two guys go up for the marking contest each time, so presumably they just wanted them to get the kicking and execution right, rather than contesting the mark. This happened for about 30 minutes, but Close took a couple of nice marks and converted them as well. Rich and Golby were the standouts in this drill, did not see them miss.

After this, it was just laps, sprints, laps and laps again. Same leaders in every pack.

Third pack: Green, Rich, Adcock, Beams, Golby, Harwood. Hanley, Robinson, Lester, Rockliff

Regarding Beams(C) after reading this and the few other reports and him saying in the video the other day that he has been shafted to the backline surely means that's where he is playing next season. I like that a lot I feel his run and kicking along with rich and or hanley off the half back line would be awesome.

Black kicking it to Brown, Zorko and DBeams teaming up to form Queenslands finest, Rich in top shape and Golby kicking it lace out.

Excellent write up. Sounds like a great day :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Golby not missing targets makes me moist. He could be a really good player for us. Hope last year was a blimp on what should be a long and promising career

Chances of Golby playing up the field next season? High half forward or wing role? I feel as though we have better options on the HBL with the likes of Rich, Beams, Cutler, Adcock etc and it will be tough for him to get a spot. Our wings are a bit weaker with Aish and another mid usually there so maybe Golby can get a few games there instead.

What sort of split times were they doing in the 400's when they were going hard? Did you hear? Cheers for the write up.

Last year, his game awareness was horrid - can't see that changing over a pre-season. Hope I'm proven wrong.
Why not? It changed from good in 2013 to horrid in 2014. No reason it can't change back.

Personally I think (hope) that he was was trying to play through that foot injury for most of last year and is now injury free and able to have a real impact, hopefully both on the training track and on the field. It would explain his horror kicking this year as well.

I've got no proof to back that up with, it's just the most logical explanation for this year's huge drop in form. I was a big fan in 2013, couldn't believe what I saw this year, it can't be just a drop in form. I'm still Team Golby, would love to see him fully fit on the wing.

What sort of split times were they doing in the 400's when they were going hard? Did you hear? Cheers for the write up.
The first group was doing about 1:10-11, and they were leaving on the 3 mins. They did about 6, so that's getting a move on in sneakers on the grass.

They weren't going flat out or anything though as they were more or less staying in their groups

Remove this Banner Ad

Back