2015 Pre-Season (All news, press conferences, training reports)

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but Coorparoo's surface is in shocking condition atm, so the boys won't be training there much, if at all, this pre-season.

10511292_816955001679854_3426386607469838746_n.jpg

This was on Sunday.

So I popped out to training again today.

Got there a bit late so missed the first hour or so, but got to see plenty of ballwork and could check out the skills of the blokes, albeit under no pressure, and then they had a pretty hard, but short running session. 6 x 300m hard, with 300 metres jog recovery, leaving every 3 mins 30. They were going in groups of about 5, 5 seconds apart, but they moved guys up a group or down a group if they were either struggling or doing really well.

Below is a few observations I made. And by they way, I mainly took notice of the young/fringe guys, so don't expect much about guys that are solid best 22 players.

Paine - really looks to be moving well in regards to pace and agility, and maybe has trimmed down a touch. His work in the running session was really impressive, he got moved up to the 2nd group from the 3rd and beat everyone in his group bar McStary (including Redden, Claye Beams and Bewick, who was dropped down from the first group and replaced by Zorko)

Harris Andrews - really good skills for a guy of his height and moves really well too. Really skinny.

Liam Dawson - Good size and runs well. Really drills his kicks and generally hits his target without them having to break stride, but because he drills them there's not much room for error as opposed to a guy who sits them out in front for someone to run onto.

Golby - was running well and was kicking well, which is great, because he couldn't hit the side of a barn in the games he played last year.

Bourke - struggled with the running again, but looks to have bulked up a bit. Admittedly I didnt get to too many ressies games last, but just looks more solid through the trunk/hips/arse rather than the shoulders and arms.

O'Brien - really impressive in the running. Lead the front group in everyone of the 6. Our best runner.

Freeman - Doesn't move all that well, as in his acceleration and agility is pretty ordinary. But as I mentioned the other day, his endurance has certainly improved, even though he's still in the bottom handful. Looks like he'll fill out and be that massive full forward in that Petrie/Hawkins mould and leave the running up to McStay and Close

Smith - Looks like an Adonis and looks really comfortable in the air taking marks and dishing it off to the guy running past, but at all other times looks miles off, which is too be expected. Poor endurance, skills and footy nous (guys having to tell him were to run in pretty basic footy drills). Definitely a long term project.

That's about all I can remember. Most of the others weren't too outstanding in a good or bad way.

Have they got to the point where they break up into positional groups yet?

I'd love to know if Martin is training prodominately as a RUC, FWD or MID and is Rich a DEF or MID. Claye Beams another one I'm keen to find out what plans Leppa has for next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading through some if the articles linked in via the one above, it seems Merritt is pretty keen to move into the back line again and finish his career there which is pretty exciting. I'd like to see him solidify himself back there, hopefully martin and luey can stay fit to give him that opportunity.

Staker has bulked up apparently. At 196cm and 102kg, he could be very useful alongside Close/Freeman or even up back alongside Clarke. Hopefully he still has his mobility.

Staker has bulked up apparently. At 196cm and 102kg, he could be very useful alongside Close/Freeman or even up back alongside Clarke. Hopefully he still has his mobility.
Even when he was sitting around the 94kg mark he was the strongest at the club. Now with another 8kgs added to his frame he will be a beast. Them genetics

Even when he was sitting around the 94kg mark he was the strongest at the club. Now with another 8kgs added to his frame he will be a beast. Them genetics

Stakes wins the benchpress and squats? jeez.. didnt see that.. thought goose, sauce or even sam michael would have him.. genetics indeed..

Went along to training this morning on an assumption because I wasn't actually sure if it was on or not. All there except for West and Clayton, Pearce and Rocky were taking it very easy.

They were back practicing their running style and technique with a coach who I believe is an ex-Commonwealth Games athlete/coach. He is having the boys run with a straighter back and expanded upper body to put less stress on the hamstrings. If any of the boys were running with a compressed upper body they were spoken to about straightening it reduce the impact.

This continued until they moved onto a contested ball drill (previously mentioned) where they had to get the ball through goals by hand only, this was done in their guernsey groups. This would help in both positional play (like running to a position and being "roadblock") and allowing the players to make decisions better albeit under less pressure. Close loves to get physical, loves to tackle and lay big hits on whoever has the ball. Clarke does well to organise the younger blokes in where they should be standing or who they should be marking. It was a good exercise with some good hits, and plenty of agitation if a tackle was missed. Others were doing a handball drill down the other end of the ground so I didn't get to watch that.

They then set up for a kicking drill where each player would stand on different markers spread out over the field. They would begin near back flank around the 50m arc and then kick long to a semi contested area near the boundary line and then look to move it in field. Once they kicked a ball they would then follow it to that marker so the guy following him would be able to kick to him. There were a few errant kicks, but on the whole most of the balls got to their man.

They then went back to the repeated 150m runs, with Paine the stand out amongst the second group. Harris Andrews was surprisingly in the second group for most of it until near the end when he looked absolutely cooked and they moved him to final running group with guys around the same height. Golby was really impressive in the running as well.

After the running, they then moved back to another kicking drill in which they had to move it from the goal square to the near the wing, by either hand or foot. Once it was near the 50m arc they would link up with another player who had lead from near the centre square towards the boundary, they would then link up with another player who was further down field who ran a similar path to them. This last player would then run towards the forward 50 and hit up one of three players who held made a run in the forward 50 arc (not sure how it was decided who he would kick it to, I assume it was just to whoever presented the best)

Some of the players then made their way to the bikes while others did some more running. More of the high intensity, low intensity interval running. Golby once again was well ahead of who he was grouped up with. They then did some warm downs afterwards.

To me, the stand out at training was Golby, he was very vocal, hitting targets (both hand and foot) and running extremely well.

Was good to catch up with whatboutbob as well.

Sounds like the penny might have dropped for Golbs, would be a real bonus for us next year if he can deliver on his 2013 promise

Sounds like the penny might have dropped for Golbs, would be a real bonus for us next year if he can deliver on his 2013 promise
I think it is more regaining confidence than any penny dropping. I do concur that he was a standout at training today, especially factoring in last year's form. Just hope he can keep that confidence as the pressure increases over the pre-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back