Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't Beau Waters an SA lad? Always injured but you can't fault his style. Still price is always an issue with FA.

He is an SA lad but I expect him to either re-sign with us or retire during 2015, depending on whether or not he can finally get past his injury issues. I guess when you play with such reckless abandon for your own safety injuries are always a possibility.

He is an SA lad but I expect him to either re-sign with us or retire during 2015, depending on whether or not he can finally get past his injury issues. I guess when you play with such reckless abandon for your own safety injuries are always a possibility.

We know all about that, we have Jay Schulz.

Isn't Beau Waters an SA lad? Always injured but you can't fault his style. Still price is always an issue with FA.

Waters will never leave WA. Loves it over there.

Nah I remember listening to an ABC interview a few months ago in which Beau made it very clear he sees himself as being in WA pretty well forever and wasn't over complementary of Adelaide.

Macaffer is the one who sticks out of that list to me. Would be coming in at just the right time to take the mantle off of Kane. Much better tagger than Scott Selwood who's name has been thrown around a bit. Although he might be hard to pry away from Collingwood given that they've been loyal to him through two knee recos.

get Hinkley,Boak, Ebert, Wingard to ride into Geelong to talk with Tom Hawkins:eek:, whats good for the goose is good for the gander:p
Yeah, taking out the 30+ players who'll never move or are just too old, the ones you wouldn't touch if they cost nothing (as they'd just clog a list space) and those that want out of SA (Catboy) it's an uninspiring list of left overs. Hawkins is the one you'd chase, but other than possibly Sydney and GWS every other club would chase as well and we aren't go to be offering more than some Vic. clubs could throw at him (even if he was willing to leave, which I don't think he is).

From a recent story by Emma Quayle :
In the months leading up to last Thursday's draft it felt like New South Wales was represented by just one person. His name was Isaac Heeney and because he was such a good footballer, the fact Sydney was able to access him so cheaply created a hysteria that drowned out any talk about the ways in which the northern academies should start benefiting every other club.
Now it's time for some good news. No doubt, the bidding procedure attached to the academy (and father-son) system needs some tinkering. If Heeney had not been spotted and won over he would probably not have developed into the player he has become, and Sydney (Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS) deserve a return for their hefty investment in their programs.
But in an open draft, Heeney might have gone to Melbourne at pick 3. If not, it's unlikely the Giants would have passed on him at the next selection. If the academies start doing what everyone hopes they do, and add first-round talent to the pool year after year, then the clubs that bring them up should have to cough up a little more.

But up until the F/S rules were changed Victorian teams never had any qualms about accessing first round talent with a third round pick? Even after the bidding rules started teams still would take someone who was expected to go top 5 with a late first round pick. But as soon as a top-ranking team from outside that state can do it then all hell breaks loose. What if Will Langford had been a first-rounder last year and Hawthorn had been able to snare him with their very late first round pick. The silence would have been deafening.
And as Emma points out, the Swans and GWS were involved in the programs that made Heeney into a sought-after player, whereas with players taken F/S the Vic clubs just notice that a son of one of their former players is doing well of his own accord.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make the NSW area an academy area for GWS only.

Sydney has father/son connection through South Melbourne, and the Swans have been in Sydney since the early 80s anyway so theres no need whatsoever for this Academy bulltish for a side thats won 2 premierships in the last decade.

Wouldn't mind a little nibble at Robbie Tarrant. Looked a decent prospect a couple of years ago but has fallen off the radar a bit with injury and strong competition at North for key forward spots. Would be pretty cheap and the right age for a big forward too.

Wouldn't mind a little nibble at Robbie Tarrant. Looked a decent prospect a couple of years ago but has fallen off the radar a bit with injury and strong competition at North for key forward spots. Would be pretty cheap and the right age for a big forward too.
Yeah we can trade jacobs for him.

wait....

2015 free agent but he has played only 39 games in the last 5 years and 1 in 2014. I'd be very wary. He has had 4( count them, 4) shoulder reconstructions.

I feel like we're past the point of bringing in "maybe he'll be better than our reserves players in that position who can't get a game" players.

At this mature point in our cycle only stars and big game first 18 types need apply, unless they're a promising kid who's happy to wait his turn. Undeveloped list cloggers who wouldn't improve our 22 aren't a huge need for us right now.

I feel like we're past the point of bringing in "maybe he'll be better than our reserves players in that position who can't get a game" players.

At this mature point in our cycle only stars and big game first 18 types need apply, unless they're a promising kid who's happy to wait his turn. Undeveloped list cloggers who wouldn't improve our 22 aren't a huge need for us right now.
Paddy Ryder says :thumbsu:

From a recent story by Emma Quayle :
... His name was Isaac Heeney and because he was such a good footballer, the fact Sydney was able to access him so cheaply created a hysteria ...
But up until the F/S rules were changed Victorian teams never had any qualms about accessing first round talent with a third round pick? Even after the bidding rules started teams still would take someone who was expected to go top 5 with a late first round pick.

But as soon as a top-ranking team from outside that state can do it then all hell breaks loose. ...
One of the few times Emma has made a mistake.
Jack Viney went for a mid second rounder.

http://www.news.com.au/national/vic...-chairman-job-ad/story-fnii5sms-1227160926368
ARE you someone who enjoys being the centre of controversy?
Does your work lack any semblance of consistency and often leaves people both bewildered and angry?
Have you watched a game of footy at least once before?
Then the AFL commission has the ideal job for you!
As match review panel chairman, you will be responsible for maintaining the low levels of trust footy fans have in the match review panel.
http://www.news.com.au/national/vic...-chairman-job-ad/story-fnii5sms-1227160926368
Taking the piss out of the match review panel chairman:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back