Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

That would be great news for our Burgo coached team and terrible for their Poulos coached team. Walsh as a Port plant tearing them down from the inside confirmed.

I said before last season that our fitness and the reduced cap would be our edge ... I agree with Walsh ... cap it at 80!!!

That would be great news for our Burgo coached team and terrible for their Poulos coached team. Walsh as a Port plant tearing them down from the inside confirmed.
Ding ding ding. A reduction would reduce blowouts, as skilled, but not super fit sides (Swans / Hawks / Freo) wouldn't be able to keep free all day and it'd go more man on man. Port is an outlier for fitness. A cap reduction would push other teams closer, but us further out. I would love to see the cap 100 or less in 2016.

Old man Walsh thinks the AFL is too much of a quick paced running game and he wants it slowed down. o_O

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-19/walsh-wont-prolong-skipper-call
This wouldn't have anything to do with them having one of the slowest midfields in the league would it? Lol.

As Schulzy said if he's thinking a reduction would bridge the fitness gap between them & the rest of the comp he might not like the results considering they're still one of the clubs that have more rotations than most.

He mentions he's had this issue with the AFL for a while, yet I don't recall reading his opinion on the topic after either Fremantle game last season :rolleyes:

Until he went to westlakes I never heard his opinion on anything ... He was always happy in the background :)

This wouldn't have anything to do with them having one of the slowest midfields in the league would it? Lol.

As Schulzy said if he's thinking a reduction would bridge the fitness gap between them & the rest of the comp he might not like the results considering they're still one of the clubs that have more rotations than most.
Richmond, Fremantle, Sydney, Adelaide, Hawthorn are the top 5 for interchanges. Please please please reduce them.

I watched Tredders being interviewed by Mike Sheehan the other day(must of been from a couple of years ago) I didn't know he was very close to leaving Port to go to Carlton in 99 or 2000 ( I think he said about 4 or 5 clubs were chasing him at that stage).
Nor did I know he had s**t on the liver about not being given the captaincy when he felt he should have. Many of you lot probably knew all that but working away all the time tends to put you a bit out of the real loop. His views and insights on Choco and others at the club were interesting.

Was happy when he and Mike joked about how he already had his two lads "signed up" for the father son rule for us. Spoke about how he was cursed with family genes that gave him dicky knees, so lets hope if his lads follow on in his foot steps the gene skipped a generation :D

Richmond, Fremantle, Sydney, Adelaide, Hawthorn are the top 5 for interchanges. Please please please reduce them.

I have read that Hawks ran out of interchanges (as in numbers left) with 5 minutes left in the prelim ... contributing to our running over the top of them thru our fitness. Anyone confirm this true?

I watched Tredders being interviewed by Mike Sheehan the other day(must of been from a couple of years ago) I didn't know he was very close to leaving Port to go to Carlton in 99 or 2000 ( I think he said about 4 or 5 clubs were chasing him at that stage).
Nor did I know he had s**t on the liver about not being given the captaincy when he felt he should have. Many of you lot probably knew all that but working away all the time tends to put you a bit out of the real loop. His views and insights on Choco and others at the club were interesting. :D

Pretty sure Mike's interview is from this year ... I didnt know the captaincy issue but did the Carlton one ... not sure if at that time but heard later .... Both he and PBurger weren't happy that Jack wasn't selecting them ... Choco had faith and played both from the get go when he took over.

Maybe it's only as we now have a pre-season worth knowing about (and the increased social media usage) making me pay more attention in general, but is it my imagination or is this pre-season especially heavy now on the 'brutal' training sessions puff pieces? After Port raised the bar and media of our Dubai trip it seems everyone is trying to flop their dong out Eddie Dingle style and proclaim they're the toughest.

And on a similar vein there seem to be a fair number of injuries happening at other clubs right now. Too soon to tell if my prediction of a spate of injuries from other fitness staff trying to 'Out Port Port', without the knowledge of how far you can push that Burgess has, is coming true, but will be keeping an eye on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard on the grapevine we may still be well into a player who went pretty early in the 2013 draft. Apparently we told this player at the time we were going to take him if he was still there at our first pick, but then we did a swap of picks to get Polec and we slipped too far down the draft order anyway. I've just heard we've kept in close contact since. This is the sort of targeted recruiting I'm more than happy with.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that we've done this for Sam Durdin as well.

Maybe it's only as we now have a pre-season worth knowing about (and the increased social media usage) making me pay more attention in general, but is it my imagination or is this pre-season especially heavy now on the 'brutal' training sessions puff pieces? After Port raised the bar and media of our Dubai trip it seems everyone is trying to flop their dong out Eddie Dingle style and proclaim they're the toughest.

And on a similar vein there seem to be a fair number of injuries happening at other clubs right now. Too soon to tell if my prediction of a spate of injuries from other fitness staff trying to 'Out Port Port', without the knowledge of how far you can push that Burgess has, is coming true, but will be keeping an eye on it.
St Kilda put up photos of their players during some rafting and there were comments like "I see Freo and Port doing gruelling running" etc so maybe the top clubs have set the bar in that regard.

I have read that Hawks ran out of interchanges (as in numbers left) with 5 minutes left in the prelim ... contributing to our running over the top of them thru our fitness. Anyone confirm this true?
I dont know about that.

You are allowed 120 + 3x3 at the quarter time breaks. For the PF Hawks had 122 nd we had 110. For the semi final Freo had 128 we had 122. Hard to believe Hawks only made 2 changes during the quarter breaks.

The clubs have always gone on about how hard their pre season camps are - but since the AFL impossed digital media standards on the clubs in 2011 - they have been able to gain content and a delivery platform.

our 2003 and 2011 preseason camps to NZ were the hardest ever. The swans went to Kakoda twice, first time a group of 9 or 10.The Hawks have gone to Kakoda twice first time 2006-07 preseason and both times they were the hardest ever. Then when clubs went to Arizona and Utah they were thw hardest ever.

our 2003 and 2011 preseason camps to NZ were the hardest ever. The swans went to Kakoda twice, first time a group of 9 or 10.The Hawks have gone to Kokoda twice first time 2006-07 preseason and both times they were the hardest ever. Then when clubs went to Arizona and Utah they were thw hardest ever.
Yeah, the hardest ever shtick gets tiring. It goes hand in hand with one of my pet hate comments (paraphrased) - We need to improve just to stay where we are, as every other club will improve. No they ******* won't. If every club improved every year at the rate we are told they are, then by now footballers would be able to run from one end of the ground to the other in 0.5 seconds, whilst performing trick handballs and kicks to themselves along the way. And be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound and kick a torpedo from full back every time. I don't think I need to put on my rose coloured Port glasses to see there are a bunch of clubs who'll probably be worse next year than this.

I'm thinking similar ... Some are trying to catch up quick which just won't work ... you have to have a plan in place which Burgo has

The clubs have always gone on about how hard their pre season camps are - but since the AFL impossed digital media standards on the clubs in 2011 - they have been able to gain content and a delivery platform.

our 2003 and 2011 preseason camps to NZ were the hardest ever. The swans went to Kakoda twice, first time a group of 9 or 10.The Hawks have gone to Kakoda twice first time 2006-07 preseason and both times they were the hardest ever. Then when clubs went to Arizona and Utah they were thw hardest ever.
They are the hardest ever because of short memories as they quickly forget the pain once it is over.Last year or 10 years ago is a distant memory.A bit like a hot summer when you think it was the hottest ever.It is quickly forgotten when you have a cool change but it is the hottest ever again when summer hits.

Definitely agree on the spate of "hardest preseason ever" articles. While these happen every year, the constant references to Port, heat training and being a hard-running side make it obvious there's a troupe of clubs constructing their preseason strategy with an eye on us.

we are the current bench mark for a rapid rise. Do what Port did/do to climb the ladder.

You dont hear Hawks, the Swans or Cats talking about Port's preseason as they have had sustained success and back in their methods. But tbey would be keeping an eye on us- just as us on them.

Pretty sure Mike's interview is from this year ... I didnt know the captaincy issue but did the Carlton one ... not sure if at that time but heard later .... Both he and PBurger weren't happy that Jack wasn't selecting them ... Choco had faith and played both from the get go when he took over.

While he's one of our greatest players, always feel conflicted hearing about his attitude regarding the captaincy. He was always the inevitable takeover from Primus, but its one aspect of his career when he made it about himself by sulking it up to Choco.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/breaki...es-graham-cornes/story-fnect155-1227162031135
Port Adelaide is No. 1 when it comes to match-day entertainment, writes Graham Cornes
When the AFL met the clubs’ chief executives to discuss the major issues of season 2014, one of the agenda items was this new-age phenomenon of “the match-day experience”.
The two clubs that were hailed as providing the best match-day experience were Port Adelaide, of course, and surprisingly, the Crows.
I say surprisingly, because the perception in Adelaide is that Port’s “match-day experience” is far and away the best in the competition and the Crows are a long way off the mark.
It is a great day at the footy when Port play at Adelaide Oval – and not just because of the style of football it plays.
The club engages its fans like no other.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/breaki...es-graham-cornes/story-fnect155-1227162031135

Yes we are far ahead of the Crows :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back