Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kenny doesnt have an age policy - the only thing he has said that relates to it is - Im here to extend your career, not end your career.
Pretty sure he said something about Chapman not fitting with the age profile of our list when questioned at the time Chappy was looking for a new home.

8 touches and a goal at quarter time for Newton. We all knew he had it in him. Is everyone as disappointed as I was that we lost him or not as at a loss because of the strength of our midfield anyway ?

Personally, I prefered him over Moore but time will tell. Moore can probably be groomed into a Kornes easier than a newton ever could.

It's NAB don't mark him as the one that got away yet ;)

We saw what he did at Sanfl last year though. Just rings of Polec 2.0, killed Nab cup after we recruited him and then went on with it in the regular season. Shouldn't be hard at melbourne, probably already their 3rd best mid haha

Yeah you cannot take much from pre-season games.

That's true and I always like to think that too. I just feel like the young kids who dominate (Polec, Dunstan etc) it in a lot of cases go on with it and we know Newton would be capable in a team like melbourne to do this all year.

8 touches and a goal at quarter time for Newton. We all knew he had it in him. Is everyone as disappointed as I was that we lost him or not as at a loss because of the strength of our midfield anyway ?

I liked Newts, but yeah, him averaging 20-odd touches in a primary role for Melbourne shouldn't be seen as a blow to us, given he'd be lucky to have played 3 games at minimal TOG if he'd stayed.

Good luck to him.

We saw what he did at Sanfl last year though. Just rings of Polec 2.0, killed Nab cup after we recruited him and then went on with it in the regular season. Shouldn't be hard at melbourne, probably already their 3rd best mid haha
I expect him to become a solid player for them.. anything more hmm wait and see, good luck to him though I always saw him behind Moore and Young etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I prefered him over Moore but time will tell. Moore can probably be groomed into a Kornes easier than a newton ever could.

Glad I'm not the only one. If Newton was a pick 9, there's no way whatsoever he would've only played 4 games (1 full game) with the form he showed last year. There are plenty of guys on our list who I'd swap to get him back.

What is the point of keeping him on our list if he is not going to get more than a game or two over the next few years. Glad to see him doing well at Melbourne.

Glad I'm not the only one. If Newton was a pick 9, there's no way whatsoever he would've only played 4 games (1 full game) with the form he showed last year. There are plenty of guys on our list who I'd swap to get him back.

I agree, I was swept up in the ryder hype but before that when the rumours were out for him to go to geelong for pick 50 odd, i was always hoping it wouldn't be true. I knew whatever we got for him would not result in equal value down the track.

When we did lose him to melbourne, I thought yes a great SuperCoach find that no one else will be on, looks like that will be ruined now too.

I know he isn't that Kane Cornes type player whom we need to replace but his form since being drafted is as good as Moores if not better. I think, although a different skill set, he could easily be as good as polec is.

What is the point of keeping him on our list if he is not going to get more than a game or two over the next few years. Glad to see him doing well at Melbourne.

Depth.. Look at hawthorn.. People would've been saying the same about Langford who was a similar pick. They have jed anderson and a lot of other guys sitting in the reserves. Kornes isn't getting any younger either so in a year or so a spot will open up in the 22 that we are all hoping Moore or young makes theirs. I think he could've easily taken over moore. He was destroying SANFL.

With the tv rights deal coming very soon , the money the offer cameron could have been back dated like boyds , the players want a 20 % pay rise even if they only got 12% would be enough to make that cameron deal not salary cap exhausting and another 5 years it would go up again , like the lynch deal in the 90's seems big then but years later it was very resonable

So the club should have forced him to stay just in case we get hit by a lot of injuries?

He was forcing himself to be selected anyway. He was tearing up the sanfl and as someone else said if he was a top 10 pick I think he would've got more opportunities as he definetely was in better form than Moore. Should we just let shaw and Clurey walk too because they might not get a heap of games if we don't get injuries ? Newton was forcing selection and actually should've gotten a lot more games last year than he did.

LOL Adelaide

And in the same week Phil Davis knocked them back because he "wants to win premierships".

Betts is the biggest (only) fish they've been able to lure and players have been leaving left and right in recent years.

Like you said, LOL Adelaide.

Polec comparison to Newton is ridiculous... Moore and Young will have better careers than Newton, Bookmark it

He doesn't play like polec but he could become as good. Everyone just sleeps on the kid and wouldn't give him a chance while he deserved it. Let's see how he goes when he gets a chance at melbourne.

We will see. Players always look better in good teams though..

And in the same week Phil Davis knocked them back because he "wants to win premierships".

Betts is the biggest (only) fish they've been able to lure and players have been leaving left and right in recent years.

Like you said, LOL Adelaide.

What about richard Tambling ??? He was a former top 3 draft pick!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back