Traded James Aish [traded to Collingwood for #26 and St Kilda's 2016 second round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

There is absolutely no way we will be offering pick 7

Well you wont be getting Aish then. Do you honestly think we're just going to hand him over on a silver platter? Either Collingwood want him, or they dont.

It doesn't do much for Brisbane.

The same time they are saying no to Aish, they are inducing an in contract player such as Tom Bell to move.

If you aren't from Queensland, there is little motivation to join Brisbane if there is no flexibility in your career path.

Brisbane knew Aish was a massive flight risk when they drafted him. Questions should be asked of their recruiter doing due diligence as it will burn a Pick 7 for nothing if Swann goes ahead with his idle threat.

No, it says to players in the future if you try and push us into a corner to get where you want to go we will have no hesitation to put you into the PSD and let you take pot luck if we don't agree with the decision.

Players can nominate for the National Draft, doesn't need to be the PSD. Regardlesss, it makes Brisbane undesirable as a destination. Why would a draftee want to go somewhere they wont be able to leave if they hate the joint? It's like the Pies and Freeman, we're pissed off but letting him go exactly where he wants and taking the best deal we can get. Could've been jerk offs with Beams who was contracted, but same thing, got him where he wanted to go and got the best deal possible.

Don't understand that.

I was shattered Beams wanted to leave.

Freeman I don't give a stuff.
I understand what you're saying, but we don't really lose players in their mid 20's any more than anyone else. Sure Redden looks like going this year, but all clubs lose players in that age bracket every now and then, and personally I've taken a "you win some, you lose some attitude". And at least we got some good years of service out of the draft pick we used on him. So even though Redden is currently a better player than Aish, I'm not too upset that he's going.

However Aish is so frustrating because he follows a long path of players leaving before we get any service out of them. Basically we may as well have swapped a round 1 draft pick for a future 2nd round pick, as that's what we've essentially been doing for the past 10 years.

So it really has nothing to do with Aish or Collingwood personally, it's more about saying "enough is enough" and drawing a line in the sand.

If you aren't from Queensland, there is little motivation to join Brisbane if there is no flexibility in your career path.

Isn't there? Looks like some flexibility is available to Redden, and it sounds like we aren't going to make it hard for Leuenberger to leave either despite having the right to match any offer.

Look after the club and club looks after you.

Well you wont be getting Aish then. Do you honestly think we're just going to hand him over on a silver platter? Either Collingwood want him, or they dont.
I'm sure we want him(as would many clubs), it's just we have a bigger trade to get done in Treloar

Players can nominate for the National Draft, doesn't need to be the PSD. Regardlesss, it makes Brisbane undesirable as a destination. Why would a draftee want to go somewhere they wont be able to leave if they hate the joint? It's like the Pies and Freeman, we're pissed off but letting him go exactly where he wants and taking the best deal we can get. Could've been jerk offs with Beams who was contracted, but same thing, got him where he wanted to go and got the best deal possible.

So the only desirable clubs to play for are the ones who are easy to get away from if you hate it?

That's a poor image for a club to have, being a walk over.

That's not what I said, it's about feeling comfortable and wanted not threatened and held like an indentured servant.

How many of your first round draftees have you let go to their chosen club for unders in the last 2 years?

We've let 5 go. Cheers.

Anyone want Aaron Black?

Half eaten twistie will do it and we will give him the cabcharge to relocate to another club? **** it will also pay for flights if he wants to go interstate.
Why the heck has there been no discussion about this guy?! Holds currency, especially considering the position he plays.

How many of your first round draftees have you let go to their chosen club for unders in the last 2 years?

We've let 5 go. Cheers.

Maybe your club's focus needs to be on what the problem is rather than trying to hold someone over a barrel. If you get dumped 6 times, then just maybe there's a problem to be solved rather than posturing and threatening the last cab off the rank. Become a club that players don't want to leave.

Maybe your club's focus needs to be on what the problem is rather than trying to hold someone over a barrel. If you get dumped 6 times, then just maybe there's a problem to be solved rather than posturing and threatening the last cab off the rank. Become a club that players don't want to leave.

Yeah because out entire player welfare retention strategy is based on not trading James Aish. You nailed it. We've been doing absolutely nothing to address the issue at all. I can't believe we didn't think of trying to address the problem until now.

Well you're not going to get a first rounder with Treloar going to Collingwood. Maybe try and get Carlton involved so Bell can be thrown in. Aish couldn't of nominated a worse club trade wise.

Carlton won't have a bar of any trades with Aish, they want him for free. Blues getting in on Treloar to push up the price so that there is virtually no way that the Pies can offer anything decent for him and then he walks.

Carlton may get unders for Bell to facilitate Aish goising to PSD or even Treloar to PSD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The same time they are saying no to Aish, they are inducing an in contract player such as Tom Bell to move.

Brisbane knew Aish was a massive flight risk when they drafted him. Questions should be asked of their recruiter doing due diligence as it will burn a Pick 7 for nothing if Swann goes ahead with his idle threat.

Oh waaa. Good on Brisbane for taking a stand.

The thing is Brisbane 'threatening' to send Aish to the draft is the same threat HE would use to get where he wants (send me to Collingwood or I'm going into the draft). Brisbane have pretty much threatened to punch themselves in the nuts, nobody gets hurt except them and everyone else can just walk away laughing. Even more stupid is that in the National Draft he might even get to Collingwood and then Brisbane look even more stupid than St Kilda did over the Luke Ball trade (could've had Pick 30 + Wellingham, ended up with nothing, Pies got Ball and ended up trading Wellingham out for a first rounder we used for Grundy). The worst case scenario for Collingwood is losing nothing and getting to use their picks for something else, Pies don't LOSE anything; another team gets a proven player for a draft pick and Brisbane get nothing.

You seem to be taking this as Brisbane saying F U to Collingwood. We are not. We are saying F U to kids who feel entitled to demand a trade to a club of THEIR choice after their initial 2 seasons.

Carlton won't have a bar of any trades with Aish, they want him for free. Blues getting in on Treloar to push up the price so that there is virtually no way that the Pies can offer anything decent for him and then he walks.

Carlton may get unders for Bell to facilitate Aish goising to PSD or even Treloar to PSD.

Carlton as a professional club should be ensuring they use their PSD option to force all rival clubs to pay more than they want for players.

You seem to be taking this as Brisbane saying F U to Collingwood. We are not. We are saying F U to kids who feel entitled to demand a trade to a club of THEIR choice after their initial 2 seasons.

I understand it's not aimed at the Pies or Aish in particular, I just don't see it as strategically sound. Aish will still get to play Football for a big Melbourne club and make some cash and is still a decent chance to make it to Collingwood anyway through the Luke Ball method. If his heart is set on the Pies but someone else does grab him he'll still get here 2 years later after making a nice wad of cash and his new club will get something for him. It's ONLY Brisbane who lose if they don't trade.

I understand it's not aimed at the Pies or Aish in particular, I just don't see it as strategically sound. Aish will still get to play Football for a big Melbourne club and make some cash and is still a decent chance to make it to Collingwood anyway through the Luke Ball method. If his heart is set on the Pies but someone else does grab him he'll still get here 2 years later after making a nice wad of cash and his new club will get something for him. It's ONLY Brisbane who lose if they don't trade.

The way we see it we've lost either way. We are losing a top 10 talent that we spent 2 years investing in, so we'll cut our losses and let him find out the hard way what happens when you dick a club over.

Dont know why such a stance needs to be taken by brisbane. In a business sense it is just nonsense. The hierarchy of the lions kick and scream when this stuff happens but neglect to realise it is ALL their own doing. Line in the sand moment needs to be when they realise they as an organisation need to change their ways. Thought last off season lions had legitimately changed direction but seems like they havent and are stuck in the past.

Agree, This is all happening I believe. A lot behind the scenes. New CEO, new board, Leigh Matthews on the team. Re-hiring Craig Lambert as retention manager or whatever his title is. The whole board who sacked Voss (just as we were coming good) is gone, luckily. The cultural problem at the club I believe is about not willing to put the work in. Voss just on the verge of fixing this when he got the boot at the worst possible time. The reason why he put players offside is because he was driving high standards and therefore anyone who doesn't like it I am happy for them to leave. This is my opinion on your comment about our organisation needing to change its ways and not Aish leaving. Because I believe the two are separate and I will explain why. 100% confident that Leppa and Lethal (and Rockliff from all reports) are driving high standards and taking us in the right direction. I don't think this (Aish) is to do with our culture necessarily, he isn't going home, he wants to play in the big smoke. We had Des Headland leave in 2002 after we had won 2 premierships on the trot. He was that popular up here that the southern stand at the Gabba was unofficially renamed the Des Headland stand in the 2nd half of 2002. My point is, some players will want to leave regardless. We'll see, maybe my head is in the sand. My opinion.

Last edited:

Not entirely correct.

Bell has a sick father who he'd like to move closer too from all accounts.

Bell's decision would have more based on that than anything Brisbane says or does.

He likes it at Carlton but it's understandable given his situation if he wanted to be closer to his Dad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back