HB: Houli Rance Petterd
C: B.Ellis Vlastuin Conca
HF: Deledio Griffiths Martin
F: Knights Riewoldt Edwards
R: Maric Cotchin Miles
INT: Hunt Morris Newman
SUB: Foley/Arnot/Grigg/Lambert/Thomas/Vickery/Lennon/McDonough

On the brink:
Morris, Chaplin in leadership group and won't be dropped unless injured. Newman although isn't is in the same boat.
Batchelor I have got him in because he is a bit of a running player. I think he could be used of the back flank. He has matured and is good defensively. Grimes will be battling him for the position but I feel he has more versatility.
Petterd could be a good sub. But at the moment I still think he is best 22. Our young players still have some developing to do to be at AFL level. He is a great tackler and gives it his all. I hope Lennon or McDonough can come through and replace him eventually. God knows we need that class back flank. I think they need another season development.
Hunt have not watched him much but was great today and I think will be in our best 22 all year. Happy with him in bench position for now. Not a lock just yet though.
Knights looked good but will need to establish himself to be a lock.

Was not impressed with:
Vickery didn't see much improvement and if Griffiths has improved again then he is starting to pull away from Vickery.
Grigg I'm not a hater at all but didn't do much today
Gordon/Lloyd should of gone for youth with those picks. Langdon was available.
McBean but only still very young. Needs more development. Another 2 years.
Hampson is a BAD recruit and we need to find a replacement for when Maric retires.

Impressed with:
Batchelor defensively and leadership wise was great. He was very vocal and really helped arrange the young backline.
Arnot showed more maturity and was a solid contributor.
Lambert will get games this year
Grimes great defensively

Need more development:
Lennon will get 10 or so games this year but needs to develop a bit more.
McDonough will also get 10-15 games but would do well with another year at VFL. Beautiful kick.
Elton was very impressed with him defensively today as the ball was following in.
Butler, Menedue, Drummond, Castagna all showed signs but are not ready yet.

Elton is ahead of Chaplin

Way bigger / more athletic
Country let go of the hope Chaplin won't be in the side. He and Morris are both part of the leadership group and will be played unless injured. Leadership in a side is extremely important. If you work in a team environment you will know that. I don't think he is an overly good player but he is in the starting 22 because of that.

Of our first year draftees this year, I'd say that it is Lambert and Castagna that are the closest to getting a game. I like Castagna and have been a fan of his for a while now, but he impressed me again. He just seems poised, and silky. Would not be against him playing as a sub to come on late in the game and run the opposition off their feet.

Of our first year draftees this year, I'd say that it is Lambert and Castagna that are the closest to getting a game. I like Castagna and have been a fan of his for a while now, but he impressed me again. He just seems poised, and silky. Would not be against him playing as a sub to come on late in the game and run the opposition off their feet.
Castagna played very well.Could be that nippy backman we lack in years to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Castagna played very well.Could be that nippy backman we lack in years to come.

Perfect replacement for Newy in years to come, partnering Houli.

Seniors
B: Newman, Astbury, Chaplin
HB: Houli, Rance, Batchelor
C: Ellis, Cotchin, Vlastuin
HF: Deledio, Griffiths, Knights
F: Morris, Reiwoldt, Edwards
R: Maric, Miles, Martin
I: Hunt, Conca, Petterd
S: Lambert

Reserves
B: Castagna, Grimes, Dea
HB: Lennon, Elton, Menadue
C: Grigg, Arnot, Gordon
HF: C.Ellis, Vickery, McDonough
F: Lloyd, McKenzie, McBean
R: Hampson, Thomas, Foley
I: Drummond, McIntosh, Short, Butler, Soldo

Must admit I only saw bits and pieces of the game, but:

Knights is very good compared to our other forward options. It's not like we have even 1 proper gun small forward... In any good team I think he would be quite valuable. I remember in 2009 he was the most accurate forward in the comp with 21.3 from set shots or something like that. And he was impressive in the games he played for us.

Grimes is just Grimes, "The Rock" or "Trusty" or "Mr Reliable". You'd expect him to play whenever he is fit, really hope he is all good from here on out.

Saw a good bit of play by Vlastuin in the back pocket where he went into 3 contests one after the other and ended up winning a free. What a good player this guy is! Total boss.

I was told Petterd played well which is to be expected I guess and reading that Vickery was poor, there's no way he will miss Rd 1. Selectors love him and I think he gives a much greater presence than Griffiths (although I am a fan of Griffiths and think there is a spot for him somewhere).

Must admit I only saw bits and pieces of the game, but:

Knights is very good compared to our other forward options. It's not like we have even 1 proper gun small forward... In any good team I think he would be quite valuable. I remember in 2009 he was the most accurate forward in the comp with 21.3 from set shots or something like that. And he was impressive in the games he played for us.

Grimes is just Grimes, "The Rock" or "Trusty" or "Mr Reliable". You'd expect him to play whenever he is fit, really hope he is all good from here on out.

Saw a good bit of play by Vlastuin in the back pocket where he went into 3 contests one after the other and ended up winning a free. What a good player this guy is! Total boss.

I was told Petterd played well which is to be expected I guess and reading that Vickery was poor, there's no way he will miss Rd 1. Selectors love him and I think he gives a much greater presence than Griffiths (although I am a fan of Griffiths and think there is a spot for him somewhere).
I disagree the Vickery decision will be based on performance and if he played another 2 games like yesterday he won't get a gig!

Based on game 1 would pick the 22 against the Blues as:

Newman, Astbury, Chaplain
Bachelor, Rance, Houli
Ellis, Martin, Conca
Knights, Griffiths, Deledio
Morris, Riewoldt, Edwards
Maric, Cotchin, Miles
Petterd, Vlastuin, Hunt, Sub Lambert
Emergencies Foley, Grimes, Lennon

Our forward line looked dysfunctional with 3 talls so would go with only Jack and Griff. Grimes very unlucky to not make the 22

Wasteful IMO

Too good for that
Imagine being part of the biggest dynasty since hawthorn 2014. Imagine singing our song at full noise every week. Imagine having the biggest membership base in history. Imagine supporting a club that has 3 of the top 5 players in the comp. Then imagine going for GWS, 3-4 wins a year. I know what I'd prefer. For someone who claims to live on punt rd, it's got me ****ed why you'd support a plastic club from Sydney. I think you're full of s**t by the wayo_O

Seniors
B: Newman, Astbury, Chaplin
HB: Houli, Rance, Batchelor
C: Ellis, Cotchin, Vlastuin
HF: Deledio, Griffiths, Knights
F: Morris, Reiwoldt, Edwards
R: Maric, Miles, Martin
I: Hunt, Conca, Petterd
S: Lambert

Reserves
B: Castagna, Grimes, Dea
HB: Lennon, Elton, Menadue
C: Grigg, Arnot, Gordon
HF: C.Ellis, Vickery, McDonough
F: Lloyd, McKenzie, McBean
R: Hampson, Thomas, Foley
I: Drummond, McIntosh, Short, Butler, Soldo

Don't mind that team. Only question is the lockdown defender. Newman? Batchelor? Hunt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back