2015 Non Freo discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Six more wins needed for 7th or 8th (you'd think). Our only 'gimme' games left are Gold Coast and Saints. I think we will beat Adelaide at home and Bulldogs at home. Melbourne away will be tricky, but again winnable. That leaves two more wins to make finals (giving leeway in case we blow one of the aforementioned games). I can see 12 or 13 wins, assuming we don't drop our bundle.

Yeah, I reckon finals are almost certain for your guys. I think the Eagles will continue to do fairly well, soft draw or not. Wins means confidence, trust in each other etc. and that psychological 'health' is a significant part of doing well in a tight comp that is the AFL.

In any case, regardless of how much weight you want to put on the Eagles wins so far, if you look at the teams that sit in that 'second rung' (i.e. the teams down to currently 12th plus Port at 13th, and take out Swans and Hawks), they would rightly be counted in that group coming into the season. Besides the Port win, there's no big surprises in their wins, I don't see what they big deal is either way (hype from Eagles fans on one hand, derision from some other fans on the other). They're doing what you'd expect really.

If that is the case wc will beat them this week. I reckon they will get done. The Cats are just starting to click IMO.
Click into what? They're playing good footy against mediocre sides in Victoria, but they're not the side they were. Even at their best from 2007-2011, they struggled to beat half decent WA sides at Subi. I don't rate West Coast very highly, but Geelong are not good enough to beat them.

Click into what? They're playing good footy against mediocre sides in Victoria, but they're not the side they were. Even at their best from 2007-2011, they struggled to beat half decent WA sides at Subi. I don't rate West Coast very highly, but Geelong are not good enough to beat them.

they have given us some good runs at Subi in the last three years. I agree they are playing good footy against mediocre sides in Victoria but there is nine of them.
They will find Geelong a much tougher assignment than Saints, Carlton and Brisbane. Cats are obviously off their Golden years level but they have only been thumped this year by Freo, Hawks and Sydney.

I tip wc to drop the next three games. :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club signed a contract and he has every right to make them honour it. If he was an employee in any other organisation everybody would expect his employer to honour the terms of his contract.

Of course he has the right to finish his contract. But, he's not just a low level employee, he's the head coach. If you want to compare with "any other organisation", I think you'll find it's very common practice for people to resign from management positions when they've ****ed up. It's also common for people in such positions to have their contracts terminated.

If I were Mick's manager, having just seen what happened at Collingwood, would have built in some golden parachute clauses into his new Carlton contract.

Carlton were inept, they would have signed it.

Mick was headhunted so it is fair to assume his manager would have set up a good exit contingency deal.

Of course he has the right to finish his contract. But, he's not just a low level employee, he's the head coach. If you want to compare with "any other organisation", I think you'll find it's very common practice for people to resign from management positions when they've stuffed up. It's also common for people in such positions to have their contracts terminated.

The conditions under which he could be terminated would be pretty clear in the contract, otherwise he'd never have signed it. Obviously they have not been met. If Carlton want to get rid of him they will have to pay out his contract and I think that is entirely fair enough.

It's not as simple as saying the coach has "stuffed up" just because they are losing. In fact it's far more likely to have been the recruiting team 5+ years ago that stuffed up. That's why no coach would ever sign a contract that could terminated if they lost too many games.

Geelong's backline are more than capable of handling Eagles forwards, Geelong's forwards should be able to edge out a win over the Eagles backline. The battle will be won in the midfield.

Yeo out will hurt Eagles, Joel Duckwood untagged should run rampant in the midfield. Geelong by 14 points I reckon.

The conditions under which he could be terminated would be pretty clear in the contract, otherwise he'd never have signed it. Obviously they have not been met. If Carlton want to get rid of him they will have to pay out his contract and I think that is entirely fair enough.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. They terminate his contract, and the two parties agree to a payout. I'm not quite sure what your point is here.

It's not as simple as saying the coach has "stuffed up" just because they are losing. In fact it's far more likely to have been the recruiting team 5+ years ago that stuffed up. That's why no coach would ever sign a contract that could terminated if they lost too many games.

It really is that simple. Ask Brett Ratten. He had a year to run on his contract. Guy McKenna, Brenton Sanderson, Scott Watters, Mark Neeld, Matthew Primus and Mark Harvey were all contracted when sacked. If Malthouse has met all the conditions of his contract, he can expect a payout, but those conditions won't save him from being axed.

And yes, Carlton's list is terrible, but that doesn't explain why they have gone from average under Ratten to appalling under Malthouse. They need to sack their list manager and head of recruiting as well.

It really is that simple. Ask Brett Ratten. He had a year to run on his contract. Guy McKenna, Brenton Sanderson, Scott Watters, Mark Neeld, Matthew Primus and Mark Harvey were all contracted when sacked. If Malthouse has met all the conditions of his contract, he can expect a payout, but those conditions won't save him from being axed.

And yes, Carlton's list is terrible, but that doesn't explain why they have gone from average under Ratten to appalling under Malthouse. They need to sack their list manager and head of recruiting as well.

Well yes, that is my point. Any contract can be terminated by either party, but they have to pay them out. Carlton can sack him any time.

People here are suggesting that Malthouse should resign so Carlton don't have to pay him out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back