2015 Pre-Season (All news, press conferences, training reports)

Remove this Banner Ad

You're welcome Milux, in regards to McStay, I believe he has put on some weight in the upper body, looking larger in the torso and arms. With the match simulation stuff he was in the backline, but it looked like he was swinging forward as well.
Thanks. I really want him play forward. This kid can take a contested mark better than most people his age. Looks comfortable and confident in front of goals. Our backline is stacked now with merret maguire clarke filling key posts and gardiner adcock harwood and golby playing on the smalls. I just got this feeling about this guy and think he is one of the better recruits of the last 2 years. Not that we have really missed in the last 2 years though.

Sorry for the late post, but I popped along to training this morning.

Fairly standard training session, they seem to be repeating a lot of the same drills to really focus on the execution side of things. The rehab group seems to getting smaller *touch wood* with Golby, Harwood, Clarke, Freeman, Bundy, Cian and Close all apart of that group. So Staker, McGuane and Sauce were back with the main group.

They did some repeat running with RoBew, ZOB, Zorko, NRobbo and Paparone in the front group. Paine was in the second group doing really well with Harris Andrews also there. They had a new young fella Corey Wagner (QLDer) there and he was in the second group and was quite comfortably holding his own with those boys. It was a brutal running session due to the humidity with a lot of the players exhausted by the end of it, Squizzy had a second look at breakfast off to the side at the end of the running.

They then went into two big groups, one doing some handballing drills and the other doing some kick down the boundary and contested work which would then lead into the forward 50 where 2 players would lead off in different directions to try and attract the ball, it was to get them to focus on the patterns that they are running. They then moved onto the drill that I've mentioned before, where they begin by kicking the ball down the line and then move it inboard towards to forward 50 to kick it to a group while one had to cause a spillage so the other two can go for the crumb and then move it back down the opposite wing to which the drill started.

Next up was a semi serious match simulation, they just randomly assigned players to the teams, with a fair bit of remonstrating towards players who made mistakes. It was good to hear a fair bit of voice out there with McStay helping out Beasley at times. Goose continued to yell instructions to the other backmen when he wasn't on the field.

Bundy is enjoying it up here, not the heat though. He said he's 3 weeks away from being back with the main group. McGuane managed to kick 3 from 3 set shots and 2 of them were from the boundary.

Sorry there isn't more though, any questions..fire away!
Thanks for the write up. Helps fans such as myself so far away stay in the know of how things are going?

A few questions. How did Golby look? And were Paps and C.Beams playing back during match simulation?

Sorry for the late post, but I popped along to training this morning.

Fairly standard training session, they seem to be repeating a lot of the same drills to really focus on the execution side of things. The rehab group seems to getting smaller *touch wood* with Golby, Harwood, Clarke, Freeman, Bundy, Cian and Close all apart of that group. So Staker, McGuane and Sauce were back with the main group.

They did some repeat running with RoBew, ZOB, Zorko, NRobbo and Paparone in the front group. Paine was in the second group doing really well with Harris Andrews also there. They had a new young fella Corey Wagner (QLDer) there and he was in the second group and was quite comfortably holding his own with those boys. It was a brutal running session due to the humidity with a lot of the players exhausted by the end of it, Squizzy had a second look at breakfast off to the side at the end of the running.

They then went into two big groups, one doing some handballing drills and the other doing some kick down the boundary and contested work which would then lead into the forward 50 where 2 players would lead off in different directions to try and attract the ball, it was to get them to focus on the patterns that they are running. They then moved onto the drill that I've mentioned before, where they begin by kicking the ball down the line and then move it inboard towards to forward 50 to kick it to a group while one had to cause a spillage so the other two can go for the crumb and then move it back down the opposite wing to which the drill started.

Next up was a semi serious match simulation, they just randomly assigned players to the teams, with a fair bit of remonstrating towards players who made mistakes. It was good to hear a fair bit of voice out there with McStay helping out Beasley at times. Goose continued to yell instructions to the other backmen when he wasn't on the field.

Bundy is enjoying it up here, not the heat though. He said he's 3 weeks away from being back with the main group. McGuane managed to kick 3 from 3 set shots and 2 of them were from the boundary.

Sorry there isn't more though, any questions..fire away!
Hey mate absolutely love your work I think I can speak on behalf of everyone on the board and thank you in how much we appreciate the write ups!! My question is who in your opinion are the stand outs so far this pre-season? And where has Mayes been predominately playing in match simulation etc. Forward or back?

McGuane taking a massive mark last training session and now kicking 3 from 3.. Wow. That's great to hear. It would be great to see him and Paine having big seasons up forward, they'll certainly be given every opportunity to succeed with our midfield delivering it to them on a platter. Also, having Close really want to stamp himself as a genuine threat is really exciting.

Thanks. I really want him play forward. This kid can take a contested mark better than most people his age. Looks comfortable and confident in front of goals. Our backline is stacked now with merret maguire clarke filling key posts and gardiner adcock harwood and golby playing on the smalls. I just got this feeling about this guy and think he is one of the better recruits of the last 2 years. Not that we have really missed in the last 2 years though.

Yep I agree, I think he'll fill the swingman role though. He can definitely take a great grab and when he has time to take the set shot, he doesn't miss.

Thanks for the write up. Helps fans such as myself so far away stay in the know of how things are going?

A few questions. How did Golby look? And were Paps and C.Beams playing back during match simulation?

No worries Bert Man, I'm unsure of Golbys injury, but it didn't look too serious (no visible strapping) and he finished the session early. Paps was playing in the backline/wing position for the match simulations and CBeams was in the backline as well. I'm not sure how serious the positions in the match simulation were though.

Hey mate absolutely love your work I think I can speak on behalf of everyone on the board and thank you in how much we appreciate the write ups!! My question is who in your opinion are the stand outs so far this pre-season? And where has Mayes been predominately playing in match simulation etc. Forward or back?

Thanks mate. The two stand outs for me at the moment are Paine and Golby. Paine looks a lot fitter than last year, hes been running comfortably in the second group when they do the repeats. I personally think Golby was carrying something towards the end of last year which either inhibited him physically, or it was playing on his mind which messed with his confidence. But from the training sessions I've been able to catch, he has gotten back to hitting targets by both hand and foot and being much more of a presence on the field. I only saw Mayes doing some laps early in the training and then I must have lost him afterwards, sorry.

If you keep referring to Billy as your God, his head will swell.
Hey man that's no way to talk about a god

Time to get another tattoo Skoob?
Most-amazing-12-Elephant-tattoos-11.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A repeat of 2013 is the last thing anybody wants. There are huge differences between games though. We went into 2013 with both ourselves and the football world expecting the nab cup winners to flatten the dogs and that never happened.

Round 1 2015 will be a war. Paine to kick 3 and beams with 34 pos, goal ;)

A repeat of 2013 is the last thing anybody wants. There are huge differences between games though. We went into 2013 with both ourselves and the football world expecting the nab cup winners to flatten the dogs and that never happened.

Round 1 2015 will be a war. Paine to kick 3 and beams with 34 pos, goal ;)
And what will Dayne do?

On another topic. It's my birthday Friday (no, really, don't get me anything) and I was planning to head down to watch the Lions train. Can't find anything on the website but am I right in presuming they are at 8.30 at Coorparoo?

On another topic. It's my birthday Friday (no, really, don't get me anything) and I was planning to head down to watch the Lions train. Can't find anything on the website but am I right in presuming they are at 8.30 at Coorparoo?

Usually 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back