List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
I don't know that there is a "most" when it comes to this board rusty. I kinda like that two posters could be diametrically opposed on one subject but in complete agreement on another.

On this particular subject my ears will always prick up a little as you know some of my all-time favourite players have been small defenders (Smith, Lloyd) who might've been described as not multi-faceted enough.

Still an interesting discussion to have and one that I think the match selection committee would be having most weeks, albeit armed with far more knowledge than us lot!
Be interesting to know what process the match committee uses to determine the structure of the team. It's one of the things that we on the board find many ways to disagree on. I wonder if they do too. Given that the team doesn't really play to the old fashioned positions so much any more, how do they actually map it out? How do they decide that player X fits the game plan better than player Y? In some cases it's probably pretty easy, but others? No disrespect but I could never figure why you would pick Clarke if he wasn't tagging, and yet we did.

I dont think anyone can say that Cunningham isn't a good small defender who plays a lockdown role on the oppositions small forward hes asked to.
Cunningham is also very quick a a pretty good short - middle distance kick, and he will rebound when he gets the chance. I'm sure C88 (the one who says he doesn't like stats) can find the stats that backs this up.
I think the discussion started by someone saying we need to start developing another small defender for this role. Cunningham being 30yo in December prob has 2-3 years left. Is that enough time to get a draftee up to scratch? Is Vickory (who's also quick and has line breaking ability and is a good kick - going off his draft profile) going to be good enough?

I agree that Florent could play that role, and do a bloody job of it, the only other one on the list that has the physical traits (quick, agile, disciplined, loves the contest) could be Corey Warner, but that may be stretching things a bit far?. If that happens, who will play Florent role off half back?
Magor has all the skills and was dropped back late last season..

I like two of these types of players in the back 6.. Blakey not agile enough, Fox & Rampe are much better suited to the 2nd or 3rd tall, Lloyd is too slow and its simply not his game. Pretty slim pickings really.

So... maybe we draft a small defender, or someone who we can develop into a small defender? Cabor?
screw that, Kinnear, please draft a tall.. please

Be interesting to know what process the match committee uses to determine the structure of the team. It's one of the things that we on the board find many ways to disagree on. I wonder if they do too. Given that the team doesn't really play to the old fashioned positions so much any more, how do they actually map it out? How do they decide that player X fits the game plan better than player Y? In some cases it's probably pretty easy, but others? No disrespect but I could never figure why you would pick Clarke if he wasn't tagging, and yet we did.
Agreed KC.

It's one of the most infuriating yet also strangely amusing aspects of being a supporter for me, is the coaching decisions.

I will think Horse is brilliant and I'll still see a few things most weeks where I'm like WHY HORSE WHYYYYYYYYY

Agreed KC.

It's one of the most infuriating yet also strangely amusing aspects of being a supporter for me, is the coaching decisions.

I will think Horse is brilliant and I'll still see a few things most weeks where I'm like WHY HORSE WHYYYYYYYYY
Yes.
My reading of it is that Horse can be stubborn and isn't very flexible in his decision making. That can be great for team stability and direction, but can lead to some annoying blind spots.

I just learnt lolNorf has just restarted their NGA after close to four years. This did not stop them from trying to recruit Riley Sanders. I expect Sanders would not recognise Norf figures in a police line up

I dont think anyone can say that Cunningham isn't a good small defender who plays a lockdown role on the oppositions small forward hes asked to.
Cunningham is also very quick a a pretty good short - middle distance kick, and he will rebound when he gets the chance. I'm sure C88 (the one who says he doesn't like stats) can find the stats that backs this up.
I think the discussion started by someone saying we need to start developing another small defender for this role. Cunningham being 30yo in December prob has 2-3 years left. Is that enough time to get a draftee up to scratch? Is Vickory (who's also quick and has line breaking ability and is a good kick - going off his draft profile) going to be good enough?

I agree that Florent could play that role, and do a bloody job of it, the only other one on the list that has the physical traits (quick, agile, disciplined, loves the contest) could be Corey Warner, but that may be stretching things a bit far?. If that happens, who will play Florent role off half back?

I like two of these types of players in the back 6.. Blakey not agile enough, Fox & Rampe are much better suited to the 2nd or 3rd tall, Lloyd is too slow and its simply not his game. Pretty slim pickings really.

So... maybe we draft a small defender, or someone who we can develop into a small defender? Cabor?
Cunningham delivers some very good entries into the forward line when he gets an opportunity, bit underrated that part of his game.

Our top 3 small lockdown defenders in recent memory - Harry, Smooch and Crouch (my fav) have all been converted wings. I think this is no coincidence given the need for pace, agility and toughness to play the position. Given we have Errol, Campbell, Jordan and JMac all in the mix, i don't think it would hurt to try the later two in the position.

Our top 3 small lockdown defenders in recent memory - Harry, Smooch and Crouch (my fav) have all been converted wings. I think this is no coincidence given the need for pace, agility and toughness to play the position. Given we have Errol, Campbell, Jordan and JMac all in the mix, i don't think it would hurt to try the later two in the position.
I dont think JMac is suited.. Hes quick, but better over 50m than he is 10m. I wouldn't describe him as agile either. Hes tough, but he has a light frame so could be out muscled. I reckon JMac is suited to wing & a running half back (even half forward flank)
No idea about Jordan? For me hes best 20-30 at the moment.

Other wing/half forward/half back types are Corey Warner, Vickory, Magor... then theres Konstanty and Wicks who both play a small defensive game up forward. Magor seems better suited with a bit of space, Warner???, Vickory???

Will be interesting who trains and/or plays that role in the VFL next year. Im backing Cabor

Cunningham delivers some very good entries into the forward line when he gets an opportunity, bit underrated that part of his game.
As a winger Harry was one of the few pre-Dawson and Gulden who could actually deliver a long ball to advantage. Still could but he doesn't often get the opportunity from his possie these days.

Still interested in Matty Roberts to trial as the small defender.
Agree about first choice being a tall. My preference is either ZZ or Archer Reid.
If not, then Harry DeMattia as a point of difference.

I dont think JMac is suited.. Hes quick, but better over 50m than he is 10m. I wouldn't describe him as agile either. Hes tough, but he has a light frame so could be out muscled. I reckon JMac is suited to wing & a running half back (even half forward flank)
No idea about Jordan? For me hes best 20-30 at the moment.

Other wing/half forward/half back types are Corey Warner, Vickory, Magor... then theres Konstanty and Wicks who both play a small defensive game up forward. Magor seems better suited with a bit of space, Warner???, Vickory???

Will be interesting who trains and/or plays that role in the VFL next year. Im backing Cabor
Agree 100% about JMac. He was a middle distance runner and still looks it.

Still interested in Matty Roberts to trial as the small defender.
Agree about first choice being a tall. My preference is either ZZ or Archer Reid.
If not, then Harry DeMattia as a point of difference.
Matty Roberts is interesting.. theres definitely enough there to be playing senior footy in the future.. in what position , I dont know? Looks an inside mid to me.. could he play back pocket?

Yep, a tall in the draft would be awesome. ZZ, Reid or Schoenmaker (his kicking looks elite and you cant have too many good kicks). All those players are a decent chance to still be available at pick 25.. thats why Id love see us trade down this year and trade up our future p19 into the first round. My dream scenario involves our F p19 for the Dogs F 1st (which the Suns have). Dogs could finish anywhere next year, and death riding them would be unreal!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matty Roberts is interesting.. theres definitely enough there to be playing senior footy in the future.. in what position , I dont know? Looks an inside mid to me.. could he play back pocket?

Yep, a tall in the draft would be awesome. ZZ, Reid or Schoenmaker (his kicking looks elite and you cant have too many good kicks). All those players are a decent chance to still be available at pick 25.. thats why Id love see us trade down this year and trade up our future p19 into the first round. My dream scenario involves our F p19 for the Dogs F 1st (which the Suns have). Dogs could finish anywhere next year, and death riding them would be unreal!
There's no doubt that Matt was drafted as an inside mid and that's what he would have been aimed at. With the recruitment of Adams and likely ascension of Sheldrick ahead of him it's hard to see him getting a lot of games there in the next couple of years. Harry is likely to be retiring around then so IF the club thought it was worth a try he (or someone else) would be ripe at about the right time.
Schoenmaker is an interesting one. A bit of a "tweener". I can't make up my mind on him. Can't get excited about Murphy at all. Reid has a good frame and some good skills but will take time. ZZ is the energizer bunny.

For me, I really like Schoenmaker. The fact we were into Doedee at some stage during the year tells me we're not looking for a KPP tall defender, but a more mobile defender, someone who can eventually replace Ramps in a year or two. At 194cm, he can play as a (3rd) tall, but plays more like a medium using his run and carry.

STRENGTHS:
  • Ball use
  • Decision making
  • Kicking
  • Reading the play
  • Rebounding

IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Contested work
  • Defensive craft

I'm also factoring in McVeigh getting a pretty good insight into him from during the Allies season.

For me, I really like Schoenmaker. The fact we were into Doedee at some stage during the year tells me we're not looking for a KPP tall defender, but a more mobile defender, someone who can eventually replace Ramps in a year or two. At 194cm, he can play as a (3rd) tall, but plays more like a medium using his run and carry.

STRENGTHS:
  • Ball use
  • Decision making
  • Kicking
  • Reading the play
  • Rebounding

IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Contested work
  • Defensive craft

I'm also factoring in McVeigh getting a pretty good insight into him from during the Allies season.

He does have a clearly elite trait but drafting a defender that doesn't excel at defending is going to be tough. I'm coming round to the idea though.

Tholstrup and DeMattia aren't really inspiring for our pick imo. The fact they're first round picks in this draft kind of sums it up.

Hopefully North have enough firsts and we can get a competitive package for Geelong's pick. Seems well worth it

Last edited:

STRENGTHS:
  • Ball use
  • Decision making
  • Kicking
  • Reading the play
  • Rebounding

IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Contested work
  • Defensive craft

Mobile talls are gold.. Elite kicks are gold.. Good marks are gold.. Theres a bit of Dawson in all that
I think Blakey has that 3rd tall in defence rapt up, But hard to go past those traits. Could play in defence, a wing or even as a 3rd tall up forward.
Kiama Chris described ZZ as the energiser bunny - highly mobile and probably better suited to a Key position..

Either of those two would put a massive smile on my face

Is it draft day yet?
Only 4 weeks to go - you can do it!!

Summer Running GIF by Kennysgifs

Is there any clarity from the club about Sam Reid yet? What are they waiting for? Personally I'd thank him for his wonderful service-a premiership player in 2012-and not offer him a new contract. We need to play guys like Amartey and Buller and find out if they are up to it or not.

Is there any clarity from the club about Sam Reid yet? What are they waiting for? Personally I'd thank him for his wonderful service-a premiership player in 2012-and not offer him a new contract. We need to play guys like Amartey and Buller and find out if they are up to it or not.
List lodgement by 2pm Tuesday October 31. Has to be known by then.

Latest phantom draft in today's HSun

Will Green​

Sydney​

Northern Knights, 204cm Ruck
The Swans are believed to be having a good look at Green for this pick, and while it appears somewhat of a surprise it is not much of a stretch. The towering young ruckman could be anything after showing plenty of development this year. His tap-work stands out, but he is also aerobically strong to cover the ground and has good fundamentals with his kicking and marking. Green was a member of the All-Australian team this year, following a big under-18 national championships with Vic Metro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back