List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
Borlase is un signed from the 2020 draft.. He was an NGA we had some interest in if I remember correctly.

Logan Evans from Norwood is a clone of the guy we bid on last year. Should be a strong consideration

I'd never heard of Borlase until the past week. But I've been thinking about his shoulders ever since.

If it’s not for Curtin don’t see the point at all, there are plenty of versatile talls. It doesn’t necessarily have to be the defender type straight up. Curtin is the only one personally I’d trade up for. We are likely to use that pick on Barass anyway

There aren't actually that many quality talls based on the draft form guides: there's Curtin, O'Sullivan and then there's Croft (tied to the Bulldogs), Murphy (from Vic Metro) and McCabe (tied to Hawks). Then it's a way back to the likes of Archer Reid who is not noted for versatility or playing defence.

I feel like the second the ball is in slight advantage of oppo mids it's like a 90% chance of a clearance. Rowbum gets the odd tackle in to reset but rarely do we ever win it back proper when the opp gets their hands on it first. And the more the ball is bobbling around just like that example, you just feel it not going to end up in our favour the longer it goes. Our stoppage stats speaks for itself.

Not to mention our clearances tend to look a bit more forced, not as much space, parker kicking over his head, players just getting the kick in time about to be run down, where as the opps clearances seem so much smoother.

We're a mixture of slow to react to the opposition peeling off + poor setup on the defensive side of the stoppage. Parish doing exactly that would make us instantly better.
The run opposition sides generate off half back at centre bounce clearances is ridiculous. Both the half forwards and mids reaction times to their direct opponents attacking movement is deplorable. That’s why this backline this year as decimated as it has been for most part of the year need the highest praise. They have held fast against a veritable tsunami at times. Anyone who can’t see where a lot of our inside 50’s against are coming from aren’t watching properly. Then you throw in a couple of blokes who think they have to run in only one direction and it’s a miracle we are where we are. 2 reasons for this, our backline and dare I say the orchestrator of this Longmire.

How on earth he's being touted at 750k plus is beyond me. In saying that I haven't seen a whole lot of him (probably because he's never on the park anyway), so I can't exactly judge. But that is coming in on elite price range. I just don't see it, nor have I ever heard of him in the same vein as other gun defenders (who probably aren't even being payed that much). Nor do I understand how the club could possibly be weighing it up as a possibility at that price with a straight face like it's totally warranted.

Surely we've all missed something with this guy? Seems more like a stab in the dark teddy Richards style potential to turn him into a gun defender, except he'll be starting out at the gun price rather than earning his way to it.
If he's 750k per season we:
a) Are obliged to play him regardless of how shite he is
b) are under pressure from virtually every other best 22 player for a pay rise when their contract is up
c) are expecting he will become an A grade key defender to a similar standard of Moore, May and Andrews. Admittedly, I haven't watched many of his games, but I haven't seen anything that has made me stand up and take note.

Where did $750k for McKay come from?
North unlikely to give him up unless his contract is big enough to trigger a compensation pick immediately after their first pick, which just so happens to be pick 1. So we pay him around 750k, they will have picks 1 and 2 in the draft.

can't teach 202 cm. Put McKay in OUR backline and he would be worth 750 for the first year, to get Norf their pick, and then more reasonable $ after that. 750-650-600-600 something like that.

can't teach 202 cm. Put McKay in OUR backline and he would be worth 750 for the first year, to get Norf their pick, and then more reasonable $ after that. 750-650-600-600 something like that.

Why does height make him a good player?

Ollie Murphy is interesting. 200cm Defender with some good skills - will be around our first round pick if we hold onto it.

Defender, 200cm
U18 National Championships Averages:
11.3 disposals, 4.5 marks, 2.3 intercept marks, 5.3 intercept possessions, 4 rebound 50s, 3.8 spoils, 1.5 tackles, 74 ranking points (4 games)

A relative unknown at the start of the year, Murphy has emerged as a first-round draft bolter after taking out Vic Metro’s MVP award following an exceptional under-18 national championships campaign in defence. He had played as a forward and back-up ruckman in his bottom-age season last year. However, Murphy has taken to his new role as a key defender in 2023 like a duck to water. While still lightly framed, the Sandringham Dragons product is viewed as a “high reward” prospect given his ability to win the ball back, while he also kicks the footy well for a player of his size, is a strong runner and is ultra-competitive. Murphy was given some big jobs during the national championships – including on top key-forward prospect Jed Walter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1) Doesn't matter how tall you are if you're actually not that good. Rampe, for example gives away a good 15cm on McKay yet I'll take a guess and say when both have finished their careers, Rampe's will be viewed as being way better.
2) Re the contract, my understanding is he has to average 750 over about 3 years to trigger 1st round compensation. It's only on his subsequent contract you can reduce it. I think that's the arrangement Daniher has been on with the Lions.

Hickey showed in 2021 how beneficial it was to have a competitive ruck around the ground. One of the rucks we let go in Nankervis, isn’t a great tap ruckman but his ability to compete around the ground assisted his midfielders.

Grundy would walk in and immediately improve our team.
Plus after the bullshit he's gone through with Melbourne this year he'd be out to prove how great he can be.

North unlikely to give him up unless his contract is big enough to trigger a compensation pick immediately after their first pick, which just so happens to be pick 1. So we pay him around 750k, they will have picks 1 and 2 in the draft.

Then they can keep his awesome leadership skills and his 6 or 7 possessions a game in their steaming heap of a defense.
If North want pick two their only hope is West Coast wanting him. Never in a million years is Ben McKay worth anything more than a very late first rounder in an open market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back