List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:

Also looking at this I like Cleary's ability to handball out of packs but the worry for me is he seems to have no ability at all to break a tackle. That could just be this game of course, but it seems like every time he is tackled he goes down.

Not a great set of personal highlights. Often stationary, links OK but doesn't propel the ball forward himself all that often. I think that was his role in that team though because he looked better in reserves. Gee that Allies team is something else.

Not a great set of personal highlights. Often stationary, links OK but doesn't propel the ball forward himself all that often. I think that was his role in that team though because he looked better in reserves. Gee that Allies team is something else.

Yes I don't want to comment too much as it was just one game and I don't know his role in that game but his clearances in this game did not look very clean. They looked scrappy and not the sort of clearances that give a team much of an advantage, especially if he always seems to be on the verge of being tackled whenever he gets the ball.

I think we'll try trade our F1st to get into this draft, but yeah unlikely to get much else
Swans have said they will try and trade up in this draft
If the Swans are keen to keep or improve next years draft hand, an option might be p12, 45, 55 for Cats p8, 76.
Cats are looking for more picks and p76 will come in more than 10 spots when all academy / f/s bids are matched. Theres a chance (but unlikely) that p76 becomes p61 and is enough to match a bid on Cleary. Otherwise we drop back in our future 2nd round (but not much)
If the player we want is available at Geelong pick, then why not.. We end up with the player we want at our 1st + Cleary (then rookie another couple of Academy kids.. Cabor, Kirk, Ryder, May - Swans have said they want/need to support the Academy)

If the player we want is gone.. then theres the option of trading back 10 spots and improving our future hand. Something like..
p12 +Fp19 for Saints p21 and F1st.. or p12 +p45 for Carltons p22 + F1st
This would allow to get DQs ZZ and match bid for Cleary and have multiple 1st round picks next year.

ps.. If Cleary is rated in the mid 30s by Twomey and others, it seems highly unlikely he'll go before that, and much more likely he'll slide. I wouldn't be surprised if he's taken in the 40's or even 50's..

pps.. I like the idea of sliding back 10 or so picks if our target is gone. Draft a KPP (like ZZ) in the early second round and have multiple future 1st round picks.

Swans have said they will try and trade up in this draft
If the Swans are keen to keep or improve next years draft hand, an option might be p12, 45, 55 for Cats p8, 76.
Cats are looking for more picks and p76 will come in more than 10 spots when all academy / f/s bids are matched. Theres a chance (but unlikely) that p76 becomes p61 and is enough to match a bid on Cleary. Otherwise we drop back in our future 2nd round (but not much)
If the player we want is available at Geelong pick, then why not.. We end up with the player we want at our 1st + Cleary (then rookie another couple of Academy kids.. Cabor, Kirk, Ryder, May - Swans have said they want/need to support the Academy)

If the player we want is gone.. then theres the option of trading back 10 spots and improving our future hand. Something like..
p12 +Fp19 for Saints p21 and F1st.. or p12 +p45 for Carltons p22 + F1st
This would allow to get DQs ZZ and match bid for Cleary and have multiple 1st round picks next year.

ps.. If Cleary is rated in the mid 30s by Twomey and others, it seems highly unlikely he'll go before that, and much more likely he'll slide. I wouldn't be surprised if he's taken in the 40's or even 50's..

pps.. I like the idea of sliding back 10 or so picks if our target is gone. Draft a KPP (like ZZ) in the early second round and have multiple future 1st round picks.
Geelong's pick 8 is valuable, the problem for us I think is that a few clubs are probably just as, if not more, eager than we are to trade up for it.

The Cats will take the best offer available, but sadly I don't think we have the best to offer them, without selling the farm of course.

I desperately want O'Sullivan, I wonder if Kinnear feels the same way.

Last edited:

Also looking at this I like Cleary's ability to handball out of packs but the worry for me is he seems to have no ability at all to break a tackle. That could just be this game of course, but it seems like every time he is tackled he goes down.

Looks like we will need to find a way to draft Jake Rogers

Geelong's pick 8 is valuable, the problem for us I think is that a few clubs are probably just as, if not more, eager than we are to trade up for it.

The Cats will take the best offer available, but sadly I don't think we have the best to offer them, without selling the farm of course.

I'm sure he does and so would a lot of list managers. Rekon GWS/Geelong takes unlees he tanked his interviews..;)

I can't see any realistic way we trade for that pick.

Geelong seem intent on becoming the new Essendon.

I wouldn't even bother asking about it as they wouldn't actually be serious about moving it. They are full of sh*t.

Last edited:
A

Are we after another small forward? The possible shopping him around may have been the vehicle we were going to use to move our pick 12 up OR a prelude to us talking another small forward?
Jake Collard - rated by Twomey at 17
Collard's end to the season – back-to-back hauls of five goals in Subiaco's colts finals – as well as his excellent testing at the Draft Combine has pushed him up the Form Guide. The exciting forward can make something from nothing and kick goals, having booted 32 majors from 11 games at colts level this season. He then was the quickest in the agility test at the Combine (8.157 seconds), was fourth in the 20-metre sprint (2.92 seconds) and also ran the 2km time trial in 6:32 minutes to show his all-round athleticism and spark.
I don't think a small forward is a priority. With Adams coming in both he and Parker are good resting mids. Both can take big marks and kick big goals. Parker will spend more time forward I would think. Konstanty will be ok if he gets his body right & we don't seem to have given up on Magor yet. Campbell can also play forward & was very dangerous in the Futures game. We have made 11 list changes with Bud & Hick retiring. We have brought in 4 players in the Trade Period. That leaves 6 spots including Rookie spots. We have one Category B spot and several Cat A. International Rookies can be recruited as either Cat A or B. We will draft one player & pick up Cleary as an Academy player. That leaves 4. We will probably Rookie May as we have delisted Owen. That leaves 3. I believe we have interest in an International Rookie.

Two of those spots you refer to are already occupied by Buller and Arnold. We have just four spots available to fill, of which one is open only to a Cat B rookie.

Beatson earlier ruled out any international recruits this year, indicating the club feels an obligation to provide a pathway to its academy players. I guess it’s possible they’ve identified someone (an international) that they are sold on, but I think it’s doubtful.

Wow, puts his head over the footy a whole bunch, no wonder he wracks up the possessions and tackles.

I can see the validity in your comments. Ought to be at least good value in the VFL next year. If Sheldrick is playing in the ones as I hope, then he'll be needed. Whether he progresses will be up to his development both physical and game wise I guess. Will need to progress to shrugging/avoiding the first tackler and distributing cleaner possession than was shown in this vid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think a small forward is a priority. With Adams coming in both he and Parker are good resting mids. Both can take big marks and kick big goals. Parker will spend more time forward I would think. Konstanty will be ok if he gets his body right & we don't seem to have given up on Magor yet. Campbell can also play forward & was very dangerous in the Futures game. We have made 11 list changes with Bud & Hick retiring. We have brought in 4 players in the Trade Period. That leaves 6 spots including Rookie spots. We have one Category B spot and several Cat A. International Rookies can be recruited as either Cat A or B. We will draft one player & pick up Cleary as an Academy player. That leaves 4. We will probably Rookie May as we have delisted Owen. That leaves 3. I believe we have interest in an International Rookie.

Kinnear said recently that they would not rookie International players as they would rather back and reward their academy players.

Kinnear said recently that they would not rookie International players as they would rather back and reward their academy players.

Sad Mike Pyke noises

If we trade up a few spots it might be possible.

Would Geelong accept

Sydney's 1st and Future 1st

in exchange for

their 2023 first, and their F2
Doubt it. Their F2 to our F1 is probably less of an upgrade next year than their downgrade this year in that scenario.

Because they have been the 30th worst team in the country for a few years.
That is their own fault too. This is a club that has had so many chances yet failed at every hurdle. Get rid of them. As a club when we looked like failing we did something about it. We moved to Sydney. North have been given opportunity after opportunity. They turned down the 2nd Sydney team strategy. turned down the Gold Coast offer, did not even go there for a Tassie like deal. Turned down becoming the Canberra Kangaroos. turned down a possible half cairns home games. Took up the Tassie deal but when offered a permanent move to Tassie way back turned that down. They have been offered opportunities which they have rejected. If they win a premiership after all this help I hope they get booed off the 'G'

We still would get the advantage to match the bid it’s really the fairest system for everyone
if the AFL is fully funding the Academies, which they are not, why does the AFL Junior Development Plan, developed in 2022, mention the academies at all?

if the AFL is fully funding the Academies, which they are not, why does the AFL Junior Development Plan, developed in 2022, mention the academies at all?

End of the day we get to match it. Who honestly cares if there’s a discount if that keeps the other clubs quiet I’ll take it

End of the day we get to match it. Who honestly cares if there’s a discount if that keeps the other clubs quiet I’ll take it

Because that will just be the start. Once they have gotten rid of the discounts they'll then work on getting rid of the academies all together.

yes, he reminds me of a young Greg Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back