List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
I'm probably less keen on Windsor as he seems to be a pure wingman with probably no real potential to play anywhere else in the short to medium term.

Realistically, our first round draft pick will be getting limited minutes in the seniors over the next couple of seasons but when they do it'll either be as the sub or on the bench.

We need our draftees to be versatile and I don't think Windsor will cut it in that regard.

I haven't watched Wilson but he reads well and probably along with Leake has the greatest capacity to fulfil a number of roles in our team over the next 2-3 years, relative to our current draft position.

Although I was initially keen on drafting Murphy if we didn't get O'Sullivan, I think he's a longer term prospect that won't necessarily align with our list profile and could end up walking out the door for peanuts just as he begins to blossom.
I agree, Windsor would by my third pick of those guys, but real speed is definitely a building block to work with.
Agree on Murphy being just that. Won't get a look in for 3 years, be lucky to make the VFL team with Francis, Arnold + one of Melican or Hamling back there, and would head back to Melbourne at the fist sniff. I'd be shocked if we picked him.

Caleb Serong is the only one that in Harry Hindsight that screams pick me. The rest are pretty much average(taking in mind Green and Henry were off limits). Must be difficult picking pimpled faced teenagers just out of high school and predicting their football futures.
Serong, Young and Flanders I had ahead of him at the time by a long way and I'm just a guy. Surely the actual experts can not bugger it up near as much as they have at the Swans.

The only caveat I add is that the Swans staff know the reality if a player or their agent has stated off the record whether they are willing to come to the Swans or will be a go home candidate at the end of the contract. That's the only saving grace I give them.

only if Madonna is there.. havnt got over my boyhood crush
caveat: havnt seen a photo of her for 20 years, and a lot can change!
Lucky for you she just arrived from 1999 in her DeLorean.

Agreed.
Until they agree to rotate the Granny around the country, we should fight for every advantage possible. The most important game of the season should not be played in a ground that clearly favours teams from one city.
If another city builds a stadium that will cater for 100000. Until then and the MCG contract is over, it will stay where it is.
Serong, Young and Flanders I had ahead of him at the time by a long way and I'm just a guy. Surely the actual experts can not bugger it up near as much as they have at the Swans.

The only caveat I add is that the Swans staff know the reality if a player or their agent has stated off the record whether they are willing to come to the Swans or will be a go home candidate at the end of the contract. That's the only saving grace I give them.
Caleb Serong publicly stated prior to the draft that he wanted to be drafted by Sydney.

Anyone can look bad in a photo depending on lighting, angle, facial expression and a s**t tonne of other factors. There is a reason why no one looks good in a passport photo for instance.
C'mon RUNVS and Bedders.. live a little.. its the off season material/fantasy/dream world

Grundy will be huge 2024 (maybe even bigger than Madonna, Mila & Alyssa)

We are just so s**t at high draft picks. Have we ever got it right?

Not a lot of examples in the first round that are not academy selections. McDonald is one, Florent and Hayward too but as of now I can't think of a single first round selection we have made in the last 15 years that has received an AA award, though I could be forgetting someone obvious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mila Kunis I'm assuming - the most beautiful woman in the world in my humble opinion.
No idea who Alyssa is.

Also, Madonna looks SCARY BAD these days.

Alyssa Milano I am guessing.

For some reason I was thinking Mila as in the woman in that action movie in the 90's who was wearing the white tape as clothes and had red hair.

back on topic...
board on a bloody windy arvo.. The Swans have less players over 190cm than nearly all the other teams.
I dont reckon any draftee is gonna be playing next year, so lets get a tall kid to develop. If we can get O'Sullivan by trading up
- P12 + f 19 for Cats p8 +f 2nd
-p12 + 45 + 55 for Cats p8 + p76... (plenty of other scenarios that dont destroy next years draft hand)
then why not trade down 10 spots and draft a tall to develop and improve next years draft hand to have another go.
- p12 for Carltons p22 + f 1st (may need to chuck in our future 3rd). Saints could be an option too. It would be great to have Saints future 1st!

Any pick swaps involving the Swans are likely to happen on draft night when they know who's available.
Opportunities could open up after p1,2,3,4,6,8,11,15,17,18 all get swapped around

back on topic...
board on a bloody windy arvo.. The Swans have less players over 190cm than nearly all the other teams.

Stannis+GIF.gif

Not a lot of examples in the first round that are not academy selections. McDonald is one, Florent and Hayward too but as of now I can't think of a single first round selection we have made in the last 15 years that has received an AA award, though I could be forgetting someone obvious.
All three you name there are yet to prove to be stars, only Mcdonald's ceiling isn't known yet.

without the discounts, we're forced to use p4 to gather points for Campbell and Gulden and we dont draft Logan
Edit: or we run out of points and dont draft Gulden!

Not sure what you are getting at. The points discount will go and no one will really miss it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back