Draft Watcher eDPS Draft Watch 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rookie is my guess and if I was to guess a club it would be tigers

Needs to improve his contested ability and decision making to make it as an AFL player
Yeah he sure does have the razzle dazzle down pat but not much else....still he's fun to watch.

Robertson at 4 is a big call, think you have him higher than anyone else. Looks like there is a decent chance all of Young, Stephens and Robertson will be available to us which is crazy to me and I’d be all over the phone to Carlton to see some way we can get there pick (not that there’s any chance of that).

You’d go Stephens and Robertson for us going by your rankings?

Is it the all-round package with Robertson that has him so high on your list (character, defensive game and contested ball winning)?

Robertson at 4 is a big call, think you have him higher than anyone else. Looks like there is a decent chance all of Young, Stephens and Robertson will be available to us which is crazy to me and I’d be all over the phone to Carlton to see some way we can get there pick (not that there’s any chance of that).

You’d go Stephens and Robertson for us going by your rankings?

Is it the all-round package with Robertson that has him so high on your list (character, defensive game and contested ball winning)?
I wouldn’t just go off my rankings for every pick but you would hope both are available as they add a good mix

Robertson is exactly the type of mid that would excel at finals footy which is what you strive for, he is a player that doesn’t play a bad game and is as dedicated on the field as they come always willing to tackle and go back with the fight for a mark. He will lift his teammates on his actions on the field which is a rare trait and he is also pretty decent athleticly.

In other words he isn’t just a ball magnet he offers something that only a few players in the league can and as much as I like upside I can’t ignore what I feel is a 200 game player and potential norm smith/Brownlow caliber player despite his faults.

Last edited:
I do think character is a trait not valued highly enough in rankings. Look at McCarthy, all the talent in the world but almost no application.

The drive to get the most out of yourself is incredibly important when your in a group of people that are already the best athletes of their kind. I’m pretty sure we are taking Robertson and will be stoked, him and Henry are some of the most mature, well-rounded kids I’ve ever heard. They’ll be leaders at our club for a long time I hope

I do think character is a trait not valued highly enough in rankings. Look at McCarthy, all the talent in the world but almost no application.

The drive to get the most out of yourself is incredibly important when your in a group of people that are already the best athletes of their kind. I’m pretty sure we are taking Robertson and will be stoked, him and Henry are some of the most mature, well-rounded kids I’ve ever heard. They’ll be leaders at our club for a long time I hope

I can see Carlton bidding on Henry with pick 9....If that's the case, then it'll be 3 picks in a row for the Dockers.

That will also mean that our pick 11 already blows out to 13, having already dropped 1 place due to the Gold Coast special compensation.....With the later bids on Maginnises & Mead, this will effectively then push pick 30 back to pick 35.....So anything beyond pick 32 then becomes next to worthless, other than as points to match bids, further disadvantaging clubs like Essendon & Collingwood.

The system is most definitely flawed in advantaging clubs with Academy & Father Son picks doubly so....Just look at the slew of later picks all of the Giants, Port, Freo & Hawks have loaded up on.....It's not right....There may be some that argue that a later pick 60 then drops back to pick 50, but that's hardly the point, when all the cream of the crop is gone already.

Last edited:
I can see Carlton bidding on Henry with pick 9....If that's the case, then it'll be 3 picks in a row for the Dockers.

That will also mean that our pick 11 already blows out to 13, having already dropped 1 place due to the Gold Coast special compensation.....With the later bids on Maginnises & Mead, this will effectively then push pick 30 back to pick 35.....So anything beyond pick 32 then becomes next to worthless, other than as points to match bids, further disadvantaging clubs like Essendon & Collingwood.

The system is most definitely flawed in advantaging clubs with Academy & Father Son picks doubly so....Just look at the slew of later picks all of the Giants, Port, Freo & Hawks have loaded up on.....It's not right....There may be some that argue that a later pick 60 then drops back to pick 50, but that's hardly the point, when all the cream of the crop is gone already.
I don't like it either but it is still better than the old F/S where teams get top 5 talents for a single 3rd rounder and win multiple flags with them.

Recruiters do though, pretty hard for draft watchers to know the character of the kids if they haven’t interviewed them/ coaches etc

Recruiters do though, pretty hard for draft watchers to know the character of the kids if they haven’t interviewed them/ coaches etc

that is true, but if you watch them in their interviews on the afl site or in the various interviews through out the year you get a general sense of who they are if you have good intuition skills and reasoning skills.

I wouldn’t just go off my rankings for every pick but you would hope both are available as they add a good mix

Robertson is exactly the type of mid that would excel at finals footy which is what you strive for, he is a player that doesn’t play a bad game and is as dedicated on the field as they come always willing to tackle and go back with the fight for a mark. He will lift his teammates on his actions on the field which is a rare trait and he is also pretty decent athleticly.

In other words he isn’t just a ball magnet he offers something that only a few players in the league can and as much as I like upside I can’t ignore what I feel is a 200 game player and potential norm smith/Brownlow caliber player despite his faults.

I have Robertson at 3 on my board for pretty much exactly the reasons you've said. I haven't had him lower than 5 since mid year.

He is a driver and a lifter. Sloane/Cal Ward and even Joel Selwood type. A bit scrappy?...yep. But very athletic and agile.

But the big thing is the driver and lifter characteristic. He's a ripper imo.

I have Robertson at 3 on my board for pretty much exactly the reasons you've said. I haven't had him lower than 5 since mid year.

He is a driver and a lifter. Sloane/Cal Ward and even Joel Selwood type. A bit scrappy?...yep. But very athletic and agile.

But the big thing is the driver and lifter characteristic. He's a ripper imo.
Robertson has go home factor practically stamped all over him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where can I find the draft attendees list?

*Guess*

i dont know but i heard someone say it was the top 12(Rowell, Anderson, Green, Jackson, D.Stephens, Robertson, Serong, Flanders, Young, Ash, Kemp, McAsey) that everyone is talking about, plus Pickett, this is just a guess, but i think 2 others that have been talked about too often for it to be a coincidence is Bergman and Weightman, plus 1 more likely to be Henry, that would be my guesstimate as i have not seen the list of 16

remember Garry Ablett Jnr and Matthew Scarlett for picks 40 + 45, Geelong took full advantage of those rules...

Pretty sure GAJ was touted around the 2nd-3rd rounder (20-40) mark that year and Scarlo wasn't even really mentioned in the TOP 30 TBH.
It was actually Tommy Hawkins that broke the camels back so to speak.
Being taken as a F/S @Pick 41 when clearly a TOP 3 pick with some saying a Number 1 overall in front of Gibbs & that star Gumbleton lol.
Funny that Josh Kennedy (Hawks) was taken as a F/S @Pick 40 that year as well but never gets a mention. But i guess he was only a 20-25 prospect that year.
Cheers!

Mate, Balmer has Weightman going to Hawks at 12. Surely not?

He's no chance.

I’m not sure on what one either myself, wouldn’t rule out Miles Bergman for hawks as another bolter but personally think Kemp would be a great fit.

The last thing we need is another half forward, with both Ross & Walker developing nicely.....Don't rate Bergman in the Top 25 myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back