Club Focus Fremantle 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Is something happening at Freo?

Henry, Schulz and potentially Darcy seeking new homes.

It can't just be a coincidence. There have been so many players over the past 3-4 years. And it's not because they are an interstate club. Players rarely leave West Coast, and they are really poor at the moment. Adelaide are rebuilding and have actually been able to attract talent. Port Adelaide has a great player retention record.

Rather than playing tough over Schulz the club should facilitate his request (still with adequate compo) and then look inwards. It feels like they are always blaming external factors. The Lions did this after the go home 5 and have been great with player retention ever since.

Fremantle have the makings of a great list and could jump up the ladder as soon as next year but need to be honest with themselves or they will keep leaking talent forcing them into a constant rebuilding cycle.

It can't just be a coincidence. There have been so many players over the past 3-4 years. And it's not because they are an interstate club. Players rarely leave West Coast, and they are really poor at the moment. Adelaide are rebuilding and have actually been able to attract talent. Port Adelaide has a great player retention record.

Rather than playing tough over Schulz the club should facilitate his request (still with adequate compo) and then look inwards. It feels like they are always blaming external factors. The Lions did this after the go home 5 and have been great with player retention ever since.

Fremantle have the makings of a great list and could jump up the ladder as soon as next year but need to be honest with themselves or they will keep leaking talent forcing them into a constant rebuilding cycle.
Well I remember around 2004-2012, players constantly left the crows like Tyson Stenglein, Martin Matter, jack Gunston, Phil Davis and Kurt Tippett.

So, you think players are pessimistic about getting back to finals, after getting there in 2022 but missing (badly) in 2023?
Missing finals in 2023 sucked. 10 wins and 13 losses sucked but there was a 3 win gap between 5th placed Carlton and 14th placed Freo

Missing finals in 2023 sucked. 10 wins and 13 losses sucked but there was a 3 win gap between 5th placed Carlton and 14th placed Freo
Yep, fair enough. I guess it was more looking at it from the perspective that most media had Freo as a top 4 contender on the back of 2022's performance. But I agree the lower half of the 8 and just outside was incredibly close.

There is room to do both at the same time.

How many of the “go home 5” were contracted?

Right. So I'm not sure how the situations are comparable, other than the obvious both being retention issues.
I'm not the poster of that original comment but we did go through a massive club overhaul a few years later getting Noble, Fagan and Swann in, assume that poster is suggesting Freo would need something similar to improve their current culture

OK, so what's up with Fremantle? Lachie Schultz now wants out. Seems to be a consistent bleeding of players the last couple of years, notwithstanding their coup in grabbing Jackson from Melbourne.

Honest question for Freo fans - as a GWS fan I know (and hate) that feeling - why is it happening now?
I'm taking this on face value that the family issues are real.

The rest I'm not sure.

In: N/A

Out: Lachie Schultz, Liam Henry, Joel Hamling

Draft Picks: 34, 46, 60, 64, 85

Another year, another mini-exodus with 3 players out the door, 2 of whom will be missed.

How are Freo fans feeling after the Schultz move in particular that caught all of us by surprise?

Not a great draft haul for the Dockers in 2023, but they appear very well placed in 2024 with 3 x 1st round picks. What are they planning?

Another year, another mini-exodus with 3 players out the door, 2 of whom will be missed.

How are Freo fans feeling after the Schultz move in particular that caught all of us by surprise?

Not a great draft haul for the Dockers in 2023, but they appear very well placed in 2024 with 3 x 1st round picks. What are they planning?

We clearly rate the 2024 draft more than 2023 and/or are position for trades next year. I think more the latter given our targeting of WA players high in the draft lately and the absolutely dearth (apparently) of WA kids in 2024's top end.

Schultz is a loss but unless we greatly improve many other things with the way the forwardline functions, its really cents in the dollar squabbling over 34 goals.

Henry improved out of sight in the back half, and is currently way better than anyone else available to play wing although that could change quickly as Liam himself showed.

TLDR: the draft will be boring this year but I am not sure much has changed for us in the 2024 season. Many other Freo fans disagree and think the sky has fallen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo appear to be happy to go backwards for a few years to hopefully go forward.

Have shed quite a bit of experienced depth over past 2 years & banked 3x 1sts for next year's draft.

Lachie leaving is s**t, there's no denying that. Tommy Emmett, it's your time my boy!

Henry wasn't a proven commodity. He strung together a few really good, promising games and its disappointing he chose to leave, but he's not Hayden Young or Caleb Serong spec!

Also, being best 22 in a team that finished 14th isn't the ultimate standard!

Screenshot_20231029_213626_Facebook.jpg
It's just a MYTH ....wouldn't read too much into it

Did I see today correctly that Freo are about to extend Sean Darcy on a 7yr contract?

They should look at the Grundy disaster for a case study here I reckon.

Did I see today correctly that Freo are about to extend Sean Darcy on a 7yr contract?

They should look at the Grundy disaster for a case study here I reckon.
******* hell I hope not. 5 would've been plenty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back