Cricket at Metricon stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/c...at-least-2018-19/story-fn6w5lwh-1227188071358

As you can see in the link above, earlier this year the Big Bash League ruled out any expansion plans until 2018 at the earliest. The article also states that the Gold Coast is in the running for an expansion team and needs to fend off other bids from Geelong, Canberra and Cairns. The Gold Coast has the largest population of the four candidate cities and is growing at a much faster rate than the other three. Perhaps the one aspect that should clinch a team for the Gold Coast is the fact that brand new state of the art facilities will have just been completed in Carrara and should blow anything the other three cities can offer out of the water.

So what about the stadium? When it was redeveloped in 2018 they specifically made it ICC compliant and was designed for a drop-in cricket pitch. It has previously been suggested the video screen at the northern end would be an issue but this will not the case as it will make way for the temporary mega grand stand for the Commonwealth Games and will be moved to the north-eastern side of the stadium, similar to the big screen location at the Adelaide Oval. There will also be a second video screen installed at the south-western side of the stadium which won't be an issue for the batters either.

So what about the peak body for cricket on the Gold Coast? The Gold Coast District Cricket Club, also known as the Gold Coast Dolphins, is based at Kerrydale Oval in Robina. These facilities are highly average as you can see:

yXFH6oS.jpg

tKXtJ55.jpg

The facilities at Carrara will be considerably better and I'm fairly sure the southern oval could be given to the cricket club over the summer months, due to the fact that the Suns don't really need it at that stage of the year. There is also enough room just next to the southern oval to install cricket nets and perhaps even a little building that could hold the traditional clock that is currently in place in Robina. Anyway, point is, moving back to Carrara (they were based there until 1991) is the best option for Gold Coast Cricket.

From there the new expansion team could adopt the Gold Coast Dolphins nickname. I'd like to see the team wear red, gold and blue like the Suns but reversed. Something like this:

bHLQscP.png

I've attached the Gold Coast Dolphins logo at the top and the Miami Dolphins logo in the center just to give an idea of what it may look like.

So, will it happen by 2018? I think there is a good chance! Hosting the Commonwealth Games should result in considerably better facilities than any other candidate city can offer and it just makes sense to me. So many tourists travel to the Gold Coast over the summer months and having just four home games a season is perfect for the Gold Coast market IMO. So, bring on the Dolphins!

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that the Gold Coast is a very appealing place to live over the December-January period which would see the team have no trouble in signing local and international stars. English cricketing legend Andrew Flintoff played for the Brisbane Heat this summer but guess where he set up base with his family? That's right, the Gold Coast. He loved going to the beach every day and taking his kids to the theme parks. I'm sure others would as well.

This is a big advantage the Gold Coast would have over most cities in Australia, when it comes to the Big Bash League.

One more thing, a Gold Coast BBL team would have zero competition over the summer months. Both the soccer and basketball teams are long gone and don't look like they're coming back any time soon. Unlike the Suns and Titans, who are competing with each other as well as the beach and theme parks, a BBL cricket team wouldn't need to compete with much at all. The reason being there is no other pro sports team that plays over the summer months and most games are played at night. The beach is nowhere near as appealing at night and the theme parks often close in the late afternoon.

It just makes so much sense to me.

Just in case anyone is wondering, the current Gold Coast Dolphins uniform is a light blue top with a golden dolphin on the right side and navy blue pants:

cGDCyWQ.jpg

Nickname cant be Dolphins. There's a reason why all the Big Bash teams now have such weird names (Scorchers, Renegades, Strikers etc). CA didnt want any animals for the Big Bash monikers.

Also it's unlikely a GC team will be allowed to don the yellow and red if they stick to the requirements they had when launching the format 4 years ago.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...s-begin-circling/story-fn5k3es5-1226006095620

In a bid to make the teams different from their state teams and also other sporting teams based in their city, CA had banned the new franchises from using traditional state colours.

So there will be no trace of maroon in the Brisbane strip, or red in the Adelaide colours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nickname cant be Dolphins. There's a reason why all the Big Bash teams now have such weird names (Scorchers, Renegades, Strikers etc). CA didnt want any animals for the Big Bash monikers.
Also it's unlikely a GC team will be allowed to don the yellow and red if they stick to the requirements they had when launching the format 4 years ago.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...s-begin-circling/story-fn5k3es5-1226006095620
Interesting. It doesn't have to be the Dolphins, I just suggested that because that's what the Gold Coast rep team is called and I presume they come along with a BBL team. Well I guess the question you have to ask is which colours are traditionally used for the Gold Coast? Blue and gold have been used by the Titans, Blaze, Gold Coast United and even the Gold Coast Dolphins themselves. The Suns are predominately red so wouldn't a predominantly yellow/gold shirt be unique?

I reckon it'd be a great idea. It'd be an absolute cash cow - especially if as someone else mentioned there was a T20 side based out of there.
I've never been, but what are the surrounding areas like? Could you hold events like the Big Day Out there too?
How about a Suns t20 franchise?

Interesting. It doesn't have to be the Dolphins, I just suggested that because that's what the Gold Coast rep team is called and I presume they come along with a BBL team. Well I guess the question you have to ask is which colours are traditionally used for the Gold Coast? Blue and gold have been used by the Titans, Blaze, Gold Coast United and even the Gold Coast Dolphins themselves. The Suns are predominately red so wouldn't a predominantly yellow/gold shirt be unique?

Doubt it because yellow and red would be considered the traditional colours of the Gold Coast, like how maroon is the traditional colour of Qld/Brisbane. No Vic team can take navy blue so it makes sense for the GC to take that colour and for the Geelong team to take yellow.

Doubt it because yellow and red would be considered the traditional colours of the Gold Coast, like how maroon is the traditional colour of Qld/Brisbane. No Vic team can take navy blue so it makes sense for the GC to take that colour and for the Geelong team to take yellow.

This will also prevent any "SUN" related names being attached

They can call they whate ever they like and wear pink for all I care. I just want a tenant and the moola that a BBL team will generate

http://www.sydneythunder.com.au/new...-announce-spotless-stadium-as-new-home-ground

The Sydney Thunder BBL team have officially adopted GWS's Spotless Stadium as their home ground. It is a 10-year agreement and the Thunder will no longer play games at ANZ Stadium. Sensible decision given an 82k stadium was always way too big for their needs.

Now it's time to get a BBL team playing out of Metricon.

Being only the one QLD team, I don't think they will sacrifice one of their games to play at Metricon. I hope that the GCC thing get's the go ahead as early as 16/17 season.

Being only the one QLD team, I don't think they will sacrifice one of their games to play at Metricon. I hope that the GCC thing get's the go ahead as early as 16/17 season.
The plan seems to be an ANZ Championship team in 2017 (netball) and a Big Bash League team in 2018 (cricket). I'm sure the new facilities that will be built for the Commonwealth Games will considerably help the cause.

I dont think theres a chance in hell that a new Gold Coast T20 side would be based off an existing local cricket side. It would be a new Franchise, owned by QLD Cricket or a joint QLD Cricket/Private partnership. Regardless, summer sport on the Gold Coast would be great for the Suns bottom line.

BIG BASH MAY HEAD TO REGIONAL AREAS
http://www.bigbash.com.au/news/big-...tralia-geelong-canberra-gold-coast/2016-01-03
http://www.bigbash.com.au/news/big-...tralia-geelong-canberra-gold-coast/2016-01-03

However, while Everard says they will not act on impulse in adding new teams rashly, it is believed the most likely option would be to add them after the 2017/18 season when the current broadcast deal ends.

Given one of the fundamental aims of the BBL is to expose new fans to the game, Everard says the most likely option would be to take matches to Canberra, Geelong and the Gold Coast before considering their addition to the competition.

"Historically we've done a great job servicing our major metro centres with Test matches and ODIs, but there are a lot of parts of Australia that haven't had exposure to elite cricket.

---

If we're lucky, we're in with a chance of cricket at Metricon next summer.
I reckon it'd be pretty easy to smack a six over the grandstand compared to the other stadiums, but it'd definitely be the perfect atmosphere for the crowds that the BBL are targeting. Just need to get the Gold Coast sporting market somewhat interested haha.

Also, I hope Channel 10 pick up the coverage again after the broadcast deal expires. Channel 9 will definitely be going hard after it, but I'm liking the commentators in the BBL a lot better than the tests/ODI's.

TALENTED GOLD COAST PRODUCT BILLY STANLAKE LOOKING TO BUILD ON BIG BASH LEAGUE DEBUT
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...ash-league-debut/story-fnj94izo-1227693153624
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...ash-league-debut/story-fnj94izo-1227693153624

Meet the Gold Coaster who has become a major talking point of the Big Bash League, not least with English commentator Andrew Flintoff.

While Flintoff is not shy of making bold statements, there is no doubting giant fast bowler Billy Stanlake made a significant impression during his BBL debut for the Adelaide Strikers on Monday night.

At 204cm tall, the 21-year-old returned tidy figures of 0-18 from three overs in a side that was comfortably beaten by the in-form Sydney Thunder at Spotless Stadium.

He was far from overwhelmed by the occasion, with Kallis only managing one run from the four Stanlake deliveries he faced.

In the past three months, he made his debut for Queensland in the one-day Matador Cup competition, took seven wickets on Sheffield Shield debut and got a start in the BBL.

---

Thought I'd add this in as well. Played against this guy in juniors. Good to see him getting a go at the big time. He was crazy quick in under 16's haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back