Grade your team's draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

B+
Would have liked North to try and get Curtin by moving up the Draft order however they did say they were going with 5 selections and kept to their word.
They also addressed some of our issues as well ..

Fox Footy gave us a B, I reckon they aren’t giving us enough credit for getting COS and getting Dons to panic cough up another pick so we could get Mannagh who I reckon will be playing from Round 1, people will look at his age and height and not how hard he carried Werribee through the VFL GF. 27 disposals and 6 goals as a half forward is insane. Not to mention we have history picking up a mature age recruit out of Werribee to huge success (Podsiadly)

Even if Dons and Dodo reckon they win every trade and draft, Stephen Wells is the mastermind behind gem finding and I reckon he got to show his stuff once again. Edwards, Mannagh and Stevens alone are good picks but the Barwon heads kid Wiltshire and Swan Districts kid Humphries seem exactly like the sort of kids Wells likes to go after.

Not to mention Jeka will be a really solid bloke for the VFL team.

I’d give us a B+

Harsh. Did as good as anyone with the picks you had available.

Schoenmakers drops you down from an A to a C. Would be absolutely fifthly if Geelong took him if the rumours are to be believed.

Agree. Love the 2 backline players you grabbed and they compliment each other perfectly. I wanted both of them at Geelong
Geelong is the only team I'd trust to turn him around if the rumors are true. Always the most proffessional and discipline of the lot. Maybe Pies too with Macrae at the helm.

Fox Footy gave us a B, I reckon they aren’t giving us enough credit for getting COS and getting Dons to panic cough up another pick so we could get Mannagh who I reckon will be playing from Round 1, people will look at his age and height and not how hard he carried Werribee through the VFL GF. 27 disposals and 6 goals as a half forward is insane. Not to mention we have history picking up a mature age recruit out of Werribee to huge success (Podsiadly)

Even if Dons and Dodo reckon they win every trade and draft, Stephen Wells is the mastermind behind gem finding and I reckon he got to show his stuff once again. Edwards, Mannagh and Stevens alone are good picks but the Barwon heads kid Wiltshire and Swan Districts kid Humphries seem exactly like the sort of kids Wells likes to go after.

I’d give us a B+
Why would any club pick up a player on the wrong side of 26 if they didn't expect them to play round 1?

A

Curtin was an unbelievable get for us as no one thought we were ever a chance to grab a guy rated that highly with our picks. Considering we had pick 10 and it only cost us a 2 spot drop from 14 to 16 and a F2 to jump up to pick 7 to get him - amazing work by the club. This guy i he stays long term could become a club great

Edwards looks a very promising big bodied dynamic mid that we have been crying out for so fingers crossed he really works out

Ryan I knew very little of but now I have watched his body of work highlights, he looks like a hard at it dashing defender - our brodie smith mk2

Only downer was North cutting our lunch and taking Goad 1 pick before ours - We needed a project ruck and he has bags of upside
Yeah, bargain of the draft. And Adelaide have a great track record at developing / utilising dangerous intercepting defenders (Lever, Doedee), so this is the best fit for some fast track development for Curtin, imo. So long as Adelaide think of him like those two players and not as a shut-down, they’re laughing.

Did not Love Collingwoods Draft but did not hate it Either.

Did not go Tall that was a Big List Need. Though looks like we have a Few Talls coming in to try out for the SSP Rookie Spot.

1st Pick was just Best Available with Harry who has Fantastic Attitude and Professionalism and start on the Flanks so Nick Daicos can spend more time in the Midfield

TJ could be anything and also Feels a Need in the Medium and Long Term. With Howe being wrong side of 30 and Murphy has had ton's of Concussion's so could also play his Postion.

Harry has the Higher Floor where TJ has the Bigger Upside.

Gave us a B Grade

A+
Best midfielder in the draft
Best forward not named Jed in the draft
206cm #1 state representative ruck who runs a sub 3 second 20m
A McKay replacement with tons of upside
WA's captain who gives us both drive and interception from half back
Then add in an aggressive marking ruck forward

Lots of dash, athleticism and aggression to go with our goalkickers and midfielders.

A+
Best midfielder in the draft
Best forward not named Jed in the draft
206cm #1 state representative ruck who runs a sub 3 second 20m
A McKay replacement with tons of upside
WA's captain who gives us both drive and interception from half back
Then add in an aggressive marking ruck forward

Lots of dash, athleticism and aggression to go with our goalkickers and midfielders.
AA+ :p
Underselling us.
You need to be able to cover ground with repeat efforts and we've been sorely lacking in that department.

B+ for Cats. With O'Sullivan, Mannagh, Stevens and Humphries have not only drafted players with football ability but massive leadership skills. O'Sullivan should team with SDK to be the best young key defensive tall combo in the AFL in time. Edwards looks to be a quality young ruck/forward that we will have to be patient with. Mannagh to possibly play round one bringing an injection of speed and goal kicking ability. Stevens is a terrific kid that hopefully becomes that big bodied mid that clubs yearn for. Humphries and Wiltshire are as speculative as you get but have talent in spades.

B+?

Pretty happy with how it went. I wanted Wilson with our first pick, so to get him as well as a future second for nothing was a great result.

Collard looked the best available at our next pick, looks like he could be a Charile Cameron type, but there's a risk with the go home factor

Hastie is a very exciting prospect. I know very little about Garcia but he fits a need.

Shoenmaker is a huge talent. Don't know a lot bout the rumours. If they are true it's disappointing, but who knows. Everyone deserves a shot though and with his talent could be the steal of the draft.

B+ for Freo considering the picks we had available to us.

Simpson looks like he could fill a role on a HFF as early as next year.

Murphy a good value pick as a slider, between him, Davies and Draper we should be sorted for KPD post Pearce and Cox.

Delean has the hurt factor that most of our other forwards are lacking. If he can apply himself defensively he'll do well here.

Odin Jones is a long-shot, but KPF that tackle like him are rare, definitely worth the punt.

b+

didnt like the wil dawson pick

and would have taken delean or zz at 48 instead of trading for a future 4th and having an extra rookie pick

duursma, colby , hardeman are pretty safe picks

Goad could be a very good ruck

You likened Duursma to Cale Morton pre-draft. That is an F if you are consistent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d give us a B+

Is Wells really any better than anyone else at finding gems? Has probably had the most gifts of any recruiter in the history of the game…

C+

I don't mind us picking players to fit the game plan, not sure you can back a bloke to be a superstar because he is a good leader, seems to still have alot of improvement now he is fully committed to AFL.

Jaith is an interesting one in the right defensive structure with our defensive support it's a great fit, I could see him playing for Howe or Murphy if we get injuries, nice pick up for where the list is at.

Hine really hasn't nailed these mid 20 to late 30 picks for a long time, my confidence is low.

Given what we traded out last year to land Henry, the predicted draft order, and our need for mids, I went in expecting to be extremely disappointed in the outcome of this draft. Probably thought we'd rate an F here.

Overall actually though, given the hand we had I don't think we did too bad. Didn't initially think COS was the pick for us but have warmed right up to him, particularly given I wasn't too enthused by Caddy. Still gutted to miss Sanders.

Edwards is a long shot but at that point in the draft he was probably best available. I don't know how we get him in the 2s to develop him though so not 100% sold but he has upside.

Mannagh a free pick who is ready to go with a decent highlight reel. Great to see a career of hard work get the man to here and I'll tip he's not backing off now.

George Stevens is unlikely to make it with his athletic profile but he ain't going to die wondering. Listened to interviews with him and he speaks really well. Listens to midnight oil and Jimmy Barnes just to complete the 1990s midfield freight train vibe. Love it.

Wiltshire and Humphrey are actually probably my favourites from this draft though. A rando from local footy who grew 3 inches since he was a Falcon and a sandgroper who ran his 2km in sunnies. Both good users with pace to burn but almost no state league exposure. These two are my spirit animals.

I guess a B overall. Not so much because we nailed any specific list requirements, but because they gave me a group of individuals that I truly get behind. So on a metric that considers how their drafted players generate buy in for their supporters, they've nailed it.

Essendon supporters copping laughs but I'll stick up for them. Dodoro is mostly inept but the endless carrying on about him is tiresome. Especially regarding Lual - rapid rebounding defender - exactly what Essendon needs. Is he not allowed to rate him because he's from an NGA?

West Coast reportedly offered Geelong their future first because they loved Nate Caddy, so Essendon may have had to trade up to get their boy, who fills a clear need up forward.

Then to grab Archie Roberts late who appears value and boosts depth down back. Like Lual, another aggressive mover of the pill which the Bombers urgently need in defence.

A fine draft by all means.

Is Wells really any better than anyone else at finding gems? Has probably had the most gifts of any recruiter in the history of the game…
Seeming we just had a team with 8 Rookie Drafted players and a bunch of second and third round pick players win 16 in a row and a Premiership by 81 points just over a year ago with a team that’s missed Finals twice in like 2 decades?….

I’d say he’s pretty darn good at picking outside the 1st round and you’d be hard to find anyone who disagrees with that.

We didn’t get priority picks, concessions or any other kind of hand out to succeed. Relied on great talent scouting to get kids who were a bunch of misfits (our backline calls themselves the Misfits)

A- to B+. In that range.

I'm certain that our targets were Duursma and Jiath as an NGA player. I'm just as happy with Watson and Bodie Ryan (you could argue I'm actually happier, especially with the Wizard).

McCabe and Dear were known ahead of time. Both athletic footballers with plenty of upside.

Only rating us around a B+, because as mentioned, we probably didn't get our first two choice players with our 1st and 3rd selections.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back