Kangaroos Tasmanian Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Hang on, isn't the argument in favour of academies that they provide a pathway for players who otherwise wouldn't have access to the levels of junior coaching and competition required to get them drafted? How on earth could that be said to be the case for young players in Tassie?

We netted a top two pick who wouldn't have been playing football if it wasn't for the academy and left another first rounder in. We also used a second and third rounder on players who were tipped as rookie picks.

Haha, give us a spell.

Yeah okay, he's been put up by the club to say multiple times he wouldn't be playing if it weren't for the academies.
Being cynical, could it be that Sydney are instructing him to say that as a way of trying to get a positive story about the academy so they can keep it.

Being cynical, could it be that Sydney are instructing him to say that as a way of trying to get a positive story about the academy so they can keep it.

Sydney might be suggesting to him to tell whatever reporter that happens to ask but given that Heeney is from Newcastle it is very likely his story is true. Before the academy the pathway for a young Aussie Rules player into the AFL was almost non existent up there.

Sydney might be suggesting to him to tell whatever reporter that happens to ask but given that Heeney is from Newcastle it is very likely his story is true. Before the academy the pathway for a young Aussie Rules player into the AFL was almost non existent up there.
I don't know the story, it probably is true, I haven't had any real interest in the academies. But if all these players keep saying that they wouldn't be playing without the academies to me the story start to suspicious

I don't know the story, it probably is true, I haven't had any real interest in the academies. But if they keep saying all these players keep saying that they wouldn't be playing without the academies to me the story start to suspicious
"They"? "All these"? What?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know the story, it probably is true, I haven't had any real interest in the academies. But if all these players keep saying that they wouldn't be playing without the academies to me the story start to suspicious

Well most of the zones for the Swans are in areas that have traditionally produced very few AFL players. GWS got all the good zones.

Modified Dog said:
McLachlan hasn't even bothered to hide his wish to oust Hawthorn from Tassie and relocate North for more games. That's his idea of a Tasmanian team. He has been a central figure in the AFL's ongoing campaign to bully Hawthorn into withdrawing from Tassie by giving us a s**t fixture every year.

As far as I can tell he literally said that he wants one team to play at least 8 games there. He didnt nominate a team. As far as I can tell he hasnt even hinted. If you can find me a specific quote, ill stand corrected.
See the article below, Wookie.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/t...ie-footy-academy/story-fnj4f7k1-1227138878798

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN AFL team committed to Tasmania could have access to the state’s best talent via an academy, AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan says.

NSW and Queensland are starting to reap the benefits through the national draft via AFL club academies, and it is hoped Tasmania could follow suit in the future.[/QUOTE]

Mr McLachlan, in Hobart yesterday for the Property Council of Australia Tasmanian division Christmas luncheon, said there had been some very preliminary discussions about a state academy.

“Regardless of what happens going forward, things like academies should be on the table,” Mr McLachlan said.

“I’ve had conversations with the Kangaroos and other guys about what that might look like. These are just theories, but it is a really important state and getting the structure right here is really important.

“I don’t have the answers yet but I’m committed to this state and we’ll continue to come down here and talk and hopefully take Tasmanian footy forward.

Mr McLachlan reiterated his wish to see one club committed to Tasmania after the end of Hawthorn’s and North Melbourne’s contracts with Launceston and Hobart respectively at the end of 2016.

The Western Bulldogs have recently committed to the Ballarat region, an area the Kangaroos had been eyeing off.

Asked if this now means North Melbourne should be concentrating on Tasmania, he replied: “I’m strongly of the view their sole focus should be on Tasmania.”

He said discussions were yet to begin with the AFL stakeholders in Tasmania, particularly the State Government, which does not share the AFL’s view of one team playing in both Hobart and Launceston.

“With these things, it is better to be direct,” he said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you happy now? Is that good enough evidence for you?

Like I said, Gillon McLachlan doesn't even bother to disguise his intentions to relocate North. He can get f**ked.

North and Hawthorn are all perfectly happy with the current arrangement. The 4 games in Tassie has proven to be a great way of making money on non-profitable games. But the AFL can't keep their noses out of it. Their idea of "running the game" is to relocate North somewhere, by hook or by crook, irrespective of what the North members have to say about it…

Hawthorn and Tassie have cultivated a successful partnership over the past decade, but the AFL don't give a s**t. Never have. They arrogantly try to bully their way in and ride roughshod over Hawthorn's Tassie deal because we're nothing but a hindrance to their Tassie Kangas wet dream.

Our deal has another 12 months to run, but the pork-barreling has already started. The AFL has offered the first bribe: priority access to local kids from a Tasmanian Under 18 academy. Their next bribe will be via the fixtures.

You watch as the AFL promises North fans 8 home games in Tassie, 3 home games at the MCG vs Coll/Ess/Haw and another 7 away games here in Melbourne which the North members will have access to. Anything to appease the North stalwarts in the interim. The AFL will bend them over in due course. Because that's what the AFL do best - they win people over with bullshit and then go back on their word. They'll gradually erode North's presence here in Melbourne. 10 years from now, the AFL will give the Tassie Kangas away games vs Freo, WCE, Syd, GWS, Bris, GCS, Port, Adel,

Most people won't care about any of this. They should be concerned however. It's not just about Hawthorn getting f**ked over and North getting relocated. Giving birthday presents to the Tassie Kangas just makes it even more unlikely we'll see Carlton, Richmond, Melbourne, St Kilda or Bulldogs win a premiership anytime soon. The Giants, Suns and Tassie Kangas will all win multiple flags before any of those success-starved Vic clubs.

Equalisation? Hahahahah. Pig's arse!

How can there be "equalisation" when the AFL continue to make up different draft/salary cap rules for their favoured non-Victorian clubs?

How can there be "equalisation" when the AFL constantly compromises the fixture with side-deals for their favoured clubs?

Last edited:
Quotes can be taken out of context, sure.

But those quotes from Gilligan look ominous.

NMFC rejected the 100-billion-dollar deal to sell its license, I mean, 'relocate' to the Gold Coast.

It'll take more than a ******* Swans Academy to con the club into going south.

Up yours, Gilligan.

Quotes can be taken out of context, sure.

But those quotes from Gilligan look ominous.

NMFC rejected the 100-billion-dollar deal to sell its license, I mean, 'relocate' to the Gold Coast.

It'll take more than a ******* Swans Academy to con the club into going south.

Up yours, Gilligan.

Are you sure you don't mean $100 million?

Bird is from Newcastle isn't he?

Don't like it that Gil has such a hard on for us and Tassie. In addition to just shafting us out of Ballarat.
Don't blame Gill for Ballarat. All he did was endorse the city's decision . Perhaps north should have looked after it better

See the article below, Wookie.

Are you happy now? Is that good enough evidence for you?

Like I said, Gillon McLachlan doesn't even bother to disguise his intentions to relocate North. He can get f**ked.

Well actually no Im not happy and no its not enough evidence. Like the article says you guys had also been looking at Ballarat as well as Tasmania, Mclachlans comments merely say you should be focussing on Tasmania instead. You are reading into the article stuff that simply isnt there.

Still nothing about relocation. even if North take over Hawthorns games.

Do not like this. It's essentially cheating the draft. Also, there was nothing wrong with the two teams in tassie arrangement.

F***, Tasmania is the last place I want my club to be relocated to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back