Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2012 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any other good KPD prospects this year after Jacshk and Smith? Our young KPD apart from Johnson are pretty much non existant, would very much surprise me if we didnt target 1 or 2 this year.

Are there any other good KPD prospects this year after Jacshk and Smith? Our young KPD apart from Johnson are pretty much non existant, would very much surprise me if we didnt target 1 or 2 this year.

*KPP, need a foil for reid as well.

Any word on Samuel Autio? He was highly touted as a youngster and I remember Melbourne being pretty keen on him a little while ago. Is he old enough to be drafted and do you know anything about him?

Cheers and keep up the great work

And rightly so! The schools don't give them scholarships for nothing haha.

IRT those two players you asked me about, I couldn't find out sorry. They might be scholarship kids, because I even talked to a mate who knew a few of the younger guys who'd be bottom age this year.

Not a problem. Thanks for trying.

Hi Knightmare, i saw an intrerview of O'Meara last night. GC are managing him very well. Doing a lot in the gym and expects to be around 83kgs by the start of season 2013. He is playing 1 out of 2 games.
Just out of interest how do you think Jack Martin rates in relation to O'Meara. Do they play similar style of game, position etc. Does Martins style have similarities to any topline AFL players? What are the risk factors with Martin? Listening to how GC is handling O'Meara he could well slot in and play good footy pretty quickly.
It will be interesting to see how the under 17 GWS deals pan out. As you have said previously it all depends on supply and demand.

Interesting approach with O'Meara and did hear talk of this during the preseason. I've always had the feeling with O'Meara that he won't have a super immediate impact. But once he has had a few years in the system I expect that he will break out into something special. He just needs to play more footy and with another 50-100 games I can see him coming developing into something pretty special.

O'Meara and Martin are different players. Give me the choice I'd take O'Meara, but Martin is a hell of a talent.

Martin is a CHF. Athletic and an absolutely incredible talent. Not super tall for a key forward but has shown that he can dominate with some of his performances up to this point.
If I was to name a player Martin most resembles I'd probably go with a forward version of Adam Goodes. So there is allot of talent to work with.

Hey Knightmare, noticed some players listed below are not in your top 40? They are VIC players only as I am not overly familiar with the other states. Your thoughts please................

• Cameron Banfield - Sandy Dragons/VIC METRO
  • Tom Temay - Sandy Dragons/VIC METRO
  • Darcy Bailey - Cannons / VIC METRO
  • Brandon Wood - Rangers / VIC METRO
  • Aidan Corr - Knights / VIC METRO / AIS
  • Jacob Ballard - Knights / VIC METRO
  • Nathan Hrovat - Knights / VIC METRO
  • Nicholas Tuddenham - Stingrays / VIC COUNTRY
  • Billy Rolfe - Stingrays / VIC COUNTRY
  • Sam Heavyside - Pioneers / VIC COUNTRY

Can't fit everyone into a top 40 or even top 50. Still a long way out so it will all change considerably as the season progresses.

All those you listed are in the mix but probably not as early selections at this stage.

Plowman is the other high end key defender and many prefer him over Smith and Jaksch.

Jaksch, Smith and Plowman are the clear top 3 at this stage on what I've seen so far. All should feature somewhere in the first or second round.

Any word on Samuel Autio? He was highly touted as a youngster and I remember Melbourne being pretty keen on him a little while ago. Is he old enough to be drafted and do you know anything about him?

Cheers and keep up the great work

Autio is a really good one to bring up. Sensational talent and can do some big damage up forward. He is draft eligable this year and looks like one of the better choices for a club looking for a dangerous forward who can hit the scoreboard.

Has started the season well and firms as a likely draft choice if he can continue to hit the scoreboard and continue his good form.

I look forward to seeing what he can do during the u18 champs.

Nick Vlastuin (I have him high in my draft but some see him as a lower end 1st round prospect so there is the chance he could be available whenever Richmond enter the draft) is exactly what you are describing as that high character/leader with good footskills. Low risk talent who will bring with him big production for a long time and that extra leader through the midfield.

Josh Simpson while more outside ticks the skill + character boxes.

Jake Stringer, Troy Menzel and Rory Atkins are others I'd look at closely.

Toumpas I'd also add to that list but don't see him being available when Richmond's 1st pick comes up.

Appreciate the reply KM, will definitely have a look at these kids and see his they go, they sound very promising and definitely the kind of kids Francis Jackson and Hardwick love.

In regards to Vlastuin and his draft position, FJ is known for pulling a couple roughies earlier then expected such as Conca and Batchelor, if the kid fits the criteria then I can FJ pulling the trigger early.

Thanks for your response Knightmare. Looks like GWS may well be able to extract a good deal for Martin if he continues to develop this year. I read an article link on another thread (on BF) that Martin had left Perth to go back to his home town and play footy there. Evidently he could not find accommodation in Perth.

Well i guess its settled. Viney is playing for Casey in the curtain raiser to Saturdays game at the Cattery. He is on show for all to see and the Demons are obviously resigned to giving up their first pick which will likely be very early.

They should have been and probably were resigned to it long ago.

But hold tight - there are still deals to be done, and if Melb are to finish bottom 3 they could still make the situation work for them.

They should have been and probably were resigned to it long ago.

But hold tight - there are still deals to be done, and if Melb are to finish bottom 3 they could still make the situation work for them.

I hope they can make the sutuation work for them. Its about time the 'breaks' fell the Dee's way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brodie Grundy from Sturt had 49 hitouts and 30 possessions last week. Looking forward to the u/18 championships.

Will be the first ruckman drafted this year.

knightmare, what do you reckon of spencer white from the western jets?

Really talented key forward. Inconsistent but with improvement can get drafted. Has nice athleticism and some class to him for a big so there is allot to work with.

Can you give me a bit of insight into Nathan Wright? What are his skills like? Is he more inside or outside?

Strong inside mid. Big accumulator. Has also shown that he can contribute in the back half. Has really stood out with some of his early season performances.

Brodie Grundy from Sturt had 49 hitouts and 30 possessions last week. Looking forward to the u/18 championships.

Will be the first ruckman drafted this year.

Those are fantastic numbers for Grundy! The guy improves every year and at this stage is clearly the best ruck prospect this year. He could very easily push into those very top selections with continued improvement this year. Very much looking forward to seeing what he will produce in the u18 champs again this year.

so it seems whitfield, toumpas and viney are the top midfielders at this stage. vlastin seems next by concensus.

who are the next group of pure mids ( not flankers) that can sneak into the top ten picks. is there a massive gap between toumpas, whitfield and the next group????

hey Knight, great to see you back doing the PD again...love your work!

Regarding the Lions 1st pick (assuming it will be a quality top 10), I hope we land a quality forward, but if not, what speedy & skillful midfielders do you think will tempt the Lions recruiters?

so it seems whitfield, toumpas and viney are the top midfielders at this stage. vlastin seems next by concensus.

who are the next group of pure mids ( not flankers) that can sneak into the top ten picks. is there a massive gap between toumpas, whitfield and the next group????

I'd add Stringer to that list (can play midfield and do so VERY well. Big contested ball winner when he plays inside) and would have Vlastuin in that top quality mids conversation.

Next group would be: O'Rouke, Atkins, Wines, Chalmers, Pongracic, J.Anderson, Menzel, Wright, B.Kennedy and Bonaddio.

hey Knight, great to see you back doing the PD again...love your work!

Regarding the Lions 1st pick (assuming it will be a quality top 10), I hope we land a quality forward, but if not, what speedy & skillful midfielders do you think will tempt the Lions recruiters?

Josh Simpson would best fit what you are looking for. Some rate him as high as top 5, but I probably see him more in the 5-15 range. Could be an alternative to look out for if available.

Really talented key forward. Inconsistent but with improvement can get drafted. Has nice athleticism and some class to him for a big so there is allot to work with.

Knightmare - i also really like this guy [Spencer White] - when i saw him he didn't get huge numbers but there's just something there that if everything lines up he could be a massive talent.
What worries me is that he might be one of those picks that everyone analyses in hindsight - "can't believe they didn't take him" or can't believe they took him at..."
Supposing Collingwood is fortunate to get Stewart in the second round, is he the sort of pick that the Pies would go for or do you think they are thinking (large bodied or speedy outside or tall rangy) mid to include in the rotations?

thanks mate..Where is he from, which team etc...?

Plays for East Fremantle. Simpson has had an interesting few years coming from WA, moving to SA last year to further his footballing and then moving back to WA this year.

Knightmare - i also really like this guy [Spencer White] - when i saw him he didn't get huge numbers but there's just something there that if everything lines up he could be a massive talent.
What worries me is that he might be one of those picks that everyone analyses in hindsight - "can't believe they didn't take him" or can't believe they took him at..."
Supposing Collingwood is fortunate to get Stewart in the second round, is he the sort of pick that the Pies would go for or do you think they are thinking (large bodied or speedy outside or tall rangy) mid to include in the rotations?

White is one I could see going either way. Could develop into a very good player, could be delisted after one season. Probably not one I'd recommend Collingwood take at this stage, but would like to see how he develops throughout the year.

For the Pies having just drafted Paine, Gault and then hopefully Stewart - probably in the 2nd round I wouldn't go for another KPP unless there is one we are really sold on.

I'd consider taking a look at another rebounding defender so maybe Adam Carter could be one we consider 1st/2nd round. Otherwise there is a surplus of mids so we could easily go after a Corey Chalmers, Nic Amato, Rory Atkins and Oliver Wines who among those others I'd strongly consider at this stage unless there is a notable slider.

Thanks knightmare
I guess it may also be interesting to see to see our movement on the draft board if indeed we do need to trade a good payer on b/c of cap space (i hope not)

i think simpson would be strongly looked at by port. we need someone who can create and we look so stagnant. port would have gotten a good look at him. if toumps is gone that is. cant wait to see champs so we get a better idea. i love what i hear about atkins as well. port need guys who can break forward, we have too many flatfoot types, with average pace and average kicks.

Hey KM, do you think the jaw will lower Viney's draft position, or is he just too good? Reports from Geelong were very good before Wojack got involved...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back