Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2012 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubt it - based just on that performance he should be sitting pretty high.
He's pretty much a known quantity at this stage. But we can hope.

It wasn't just his play, but his attitude and the way he took it straight to Wojcinski before the dog broke his jaw.

Doubt it - based just on that performance he should be sitting pretty high.
He's pretty much a known quantity at this stage. But we can hope.

It wasn't just his play, but his attitude and the way he took it straight to Wojcinski before the dog broke his jaw.

Yep, agree with this. Definitely a known quantity, and every recruiter would have seen his performance on the weekend. If there was any doubt about him being their first pick before his game on the weekend, I doubt there is now.

I'd add Stringer to that list (can play midfield and do so VERY well. Big contested ball winner when he plays inside) and would have Vlastuin in that top quality mids conversation.

Next group would be: O'Rouke, Atkins, Wines, Chalmers, Pongracic, J.Anderson, Menzel, Wright, B.Kennedy and Bonaddio.

Josh Simpson would best fit what you are looking for. Some rate him as high as top 5, but I probably see him more in the 5-15 range. Could be an alternative to look out for if available.

Hey Knightmare, can you list your respective Top 20 for Ruckman, Key Position Forwards, Key Position Backs, Midfielders & Small Forwards? I will ask Chris25 to do the same and compare!!

Not if we finish last!!!

But seriously, yeah... I'd say Viney will command our first pick in the draft.

Hi all, Enforcer25 pointed out that 'deals can be done'. If GWS nominate Viney as No. I can we trade or first pick for an existing player or Under 17 GWS mini draft then trade our mid first round concession to the team who finishes fist or 2nd for their first round pick plus something on top for us then use that late first rounder to nominate Viney???
We would get:
Player from another club or under 17 player from GWS
Next early pick in draft in first round - concession.
Viney at pick 20 - 22?
Pick around 25 early second round
Plus something extra for swapping our mid first round concession for a late first round pick to get Viney.
There will be no shortage of top 4 teams wanting to get a piece of mid round action in the draft.
Not sure whether that can be done - but would be good if it can.

I dont believe you can. You have nomination of f/s picks and then bidding for the player. I can't see GWS not forcing you to use your first pick on viney. If the situation where viney is nominated number on by gws then melbourne lose all rights to viney and gws have to use that pick to select him.

I dont believe you can. You have nomination of f/s picks and then bidding for the player. I can't see GWS not forcing you to use your first pick on viney. If the situation where viney is nominated number on by gws then melbourne lose all rights to viney and gws have to use that pick to select him.

I can definitely think of ways, but for now we will wait to see where the teams finish on the ladder...

There are some astute minds out there who have come up with some very clever solutions.

Great writeup mate however surely the Dogs and Dees will use their priority picks in such a good draft....I think St Kilda will certainly use their first pick on a ruckman, as there are a few good ones this time around. Then a KPP back will be on the agenda. Who do you see the Sainters getting as a KPP defender option with their second pick (around 25-30).?

Maybe with Jackson Ferguson coming on a key defender will not be such a priority, although I would like to see us pick up a full back.

He's more of a tall running defender in the Gilbert mould. I'd like to see us pick up a monster defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey KM, do you think the jaw will lower Viney's draft position, or is he just too good? Reports from Geelong were very good before Wojack got involved...

Wouldn't expect so. He is just that good. Think about what Toby Greene is doing with GWS this year. Viney is already that good, if not better.

Didn't see the game v Geelong VFL over the weekend, but you only have to see the footage to see who he is and how much fight is in him. Love the way he goes about it willingly mixing it with bigger bodies.

Viney will command Melbournes no.1 pick won't it?

Looks that way.

Hey Knightmare, can you list your respective Top 20 for Ruckman, Key Position Forwards, Key Position Backs, Midfielders & Small Forwards? I will ask Chris25 to do the same and compare!!

There won't be 20 of each position drafted next year so there is little point listing that many this early on but I'm happy to name some I like at each position.

Rucks:
1. Brodie Grundy (Will go top 10 and could go as high as no.1 if he continues to improve)
2. Liam McBean (Looks like a 1st rounder)
3. Craig Moller (Freo - NSW/ACT - close to 1st round quality but can use final pick on him)
4. Myles Bolger - (Unlucky to miss last year. Likely a rookie option. Rate him highly)

KPFs:
1. Mason Shaw (Likely top 10 selection)
2. Joe Danniher (Ess - F/S - Certain to go 1st round and Essendon have a bargain with this guy. Like him most as a key forward but is ruck height and could just as easily be considered a ruck)
3. James Stewart (Coll - F/S - Likely 2nd rounder at this stage)
4. Aaron Luccon (Rapidly developing key forward. Could go as high as 1st round but more likely 2nd rounder at this point)

KPDs:
1. Kristian Jaksch (Can play as a key defender or key forward but will place him in the key defenders group for now. Will go 1st/2nd round)
2. Tanner Smith (Best shut down key defender. Will go 1st/2nd round)
3. Lachlan Plowman (High level rebounding key defender. Will go 1st/2nd round)
4. Kyle Hartigan (Best mature age key defender. Like his game. If selected will go as rookie)

Mids:
1. Jake Stringer (Top 5 selection. Versatile gamechanger who influences the game like few others)
2. Lachie Whitfield (Likely no.1 overall selection. Outside rather than inside but as good as any)
3. Jack Viney (Melb - F/S - 1st ronuder. Best inside ball winner)
4. Nick Vlastuin (Top 10 selection. Will be undervalued by clubs looking for athleticism but is every bit as good as the rest of these if not better)
5. Jimmy Toumpas (Top 10, probable top 5 selection)

Small fwds (included mediums + smalls):
1. Ben Kennedy (Late 1st round onward. Small Mid/Fwd. Very quick)
2. Sam Mayes (1st rounder onward. Leadup medium tall)
3. Dayle Garlett (Late 1st round onward. Very quick mid/fwd)
4. Chris Yarran (2nd rounder onward. Natural crumber. Marking good. Not super quick)
5. Shannon Taylor (2nd round onward. Small, quick forward)
6. Anthony Bonnaddio (2nd round onward. Small Mid/Fwd. Has pace and is a goalkicking threat)
7. Matthew McDonough (2nd round onward. Small, but strong marking forward)
8. Tim Membrey (2nd round onward. Undersized key forward, likely 3rd tall marking target)

Great writeup mate however surely the Dogs and Dees will use their priority picks in such a good draft....I think St Kilda will certainly use their first pick on a ruckman, as there are a few good ones this time around. Then a KPP back will be on the agenda. Who do you see the Sainters getting as a KPP defender option with their second pick (around 25-30).?

Jaksch, T.Smith and Plowman would be appropriate selections as key defenders. Along with a ruckman a key defender is the other big need for St Kilda, but you can only pick what is available and unless one of these are available there is little point going after a key defender so early.

A backup option I can recommend if you go for a ruck early would be Kyle Hartigan as an established key defender, St Kilda could get him as a rookie who can step into the team tomorrow.

That would be my train of thought anyway.

Hey Knightmare, was just looking at your draft and got me thinking, what do you see Essendon drafting overall?

Am thinking we will go something like this:

1. Joe Daniher (duh)
2. KPP/Ruckmen
3. Mid size forward
4. Inside midfielder

not sure how to look at our rookie draft, couple of guys really pushing for senior upgrading (Brendan Lee & Marc Baguley) whilst Anthony Long looks most likely to be delisted.

Hey Knightmare, was just looking at your draft and got me thinking, what do you see Essendon drafting overall?

Am thinking we will go something like this:

1. Joe Daniher (duh)
2. KPP/Ruckmen
3. Mid size forward
4. Inside midfielder

not sure how to look at our rookie draft, couple of guys really pushing for senior upgrading (Brendan Lee & Marc Baguley) whilst Anthony Long looks most likely to be delisted.

The needs for Essendon the way I see it are probably for another ruck, key defender, attacking defender, crumbing forward then some midfielders to go along with Daniher.

If you want a KPP or attacking defender it will probably be a choice of either/or and the 2nd round would be the place to look.

I'd look mature age or for some midfield value later on from the 3rd round and into the rookie draft. Sam Dwyer is a personal favourite and one I could see fitting into the Essendon midfield nicely, but he is one of many.

Crumbing forwards are often available later. A Garlett, Yarran, Taylor or possibly Bonnaddio could fall through to the 3rd round and present an attractive option depending on how this year goes. Otherwise there will be options in the rookie draft as is the case every year.

For a ruck I'd also recommend go to the rookie draft - Essendon certainly could do with more height.

The needs for Essendon the way I see it are probably for another ruck, key defender, attacking defender, crumbing forward then some midfielders to go along with Daniher.

If you want a KPP or attacking defender it will probably be a choice of either/or and the 2nd round would be the place to look.

I'd look mature age or for some midfield value later on from the 3rd round and into the rookie draft. Sam Dwyer is a personal favourite and one I could see fitting into the Essendon midfield nicely, but he is one of many.

Crumbing forwards are often available later. A Garlett, Yarran, Taylor or possibly Bonnaddio could fall through to the 3rd round and present an attractive option depending on how this year goes. Otherwise there will be options in the rookie draft as is the case every year.

For a ruck I'd also recommend go to the rookie draft - Essendon certainly could do with more height.

I dont think we need more attacking defenders, we already have an abbundance, depends on what they see Heppell, Hibberd & to a lesser extent Dempsey as in the future. If they are more midfielders (Heppell has spent time on the wing this year as has Hibberd whilst most Essendon supporters hope Dempsey can start to turn games from a wing or HF). In the wings though we have Baguley who has been good in the twos this year, David Myers is a back flanker, Luke Davis, Alex Browne and even the younger guys again have been playingfrom half back at Bendigo.

I do see height as an issue, we only have 3 ruckmen (JD is a forward correct?) and Hille is aging, so not going into next season with 2 ruckmen. It would not surprise me to see us pick up 2 ruckmen in the draft, with another 2 KPP (I expect us to clear out ALOT of deadwood this year - 6 - 8 players, rookie list inclusive delisted) with Joe being one. long with a small forward and perhaps a small lockdown defender type. And you can never have enough ball winners through the midfield.

Cheers Knightmare. We definitely need a tall ruck and a key defender although it would be nice to pick up a top line first round midfielder. We may look at a later round and/or mature picks as our talls.

I'm predicting St Kilda to finish around 12th which should see us pick up a top 10 and a mid 20 pick. It will be nice for a change. The last top 10 pick we got was McEvoy some years ago.

Assuming Melbourne finish say, 3rd last, would either of the bottom 2 sides nominate Viney and risk losing Whitfield/Stringer/whoever?

I'd only have Whitfield well ahead of Viney at the moment, so i reckon we'll need to finish 2nd last in order to get him in the 2nd round and (wooden spooner surely wouldn't risk Whitfield at Viney's expense). If we finish 3rd last, then the team that finishes 2nd last could nominate for him with little risk. I'm not fussed either way, given the depth of the draft, we will still have a chance of picking up a very good prospect with our 2nd rounder, if we take Viney with our first.

You never know, his 6 week lay off and doing a WA shifty of not playing him might be able to get him moving down the order, but i'd doubt it.

Rucks:
1. Brodie Grundy (Will go top 10 and could go as high as no.1 if he continues to improve)
2. Liam McBean (Looks like a 1st rounder)
3. Craig Moller (Freo - NSW/ACT - close to 1st round quality but can use final pick on him)
4. Myles Bolger - (Unlucky to miss last year. Likely a rookie option. Rate him highly)

KPFs:
1. Mason Shaw (Likely top 10 selection)
2. Joe Danniher (Ess - F/S - Certain to go 1st round and Essendon have a bargain with this guy. Like him most as a key forward but is ruck height and could just as easily be considered a ruck)
3. James Stewart (Coll - F/S - Likely 2nd rounder at this stage)
4. Aaron Luccon (Rapidly developing key forward. Could go as high as 1st round but more likely 2nd rounder at this point)

KPDs:
1. Kristian Jaksch (Can play as a key defender or key forward but will place him in the key defenders group for now. Will go 1st/2nd round)
2. Tanner Smith (Best shut down key defender. Will go 1st/2nd round)
3. Lachlan Plowman (High level rebounding key defender. Will go 1st/2nd round)
4. Kyle Hartigan (Best mature age key defender. Like his game. If selected will go as rookie)

Mids:
1. Jake Stringer (Top 5 selection. Versatile gamechanger who influences the game like few others)
2. Lachie Whitfield (Likely no.1 overall selection. Outside rather than inside but as good as any)
3. Jack Viney (Melb - F/S - 1st ronuder. Best inside ball winner)
4. Nick Vlastuin (Top 10 selection. Will be undervalued by clubs looking for athleticism but is every bit as good as the rest of these if not better)
5. Jimmy Toumpas (Top 10, probable top 5 selection)

Small fwds (included mediums + smalls):
1. Ben Kennedy (Late 1st round onward. Small Mid/Fwd. Very quick)
2. Sam Mayes (1st rounder onward. Leadup medium tall)
3. Dayle Garlett (Late 1st round onward. Very quick mid/fwd)
4. Chris Yarran (2nd rounder onward. Natural crumber. Marking good. Not super quick)
5. Shannon Taylor (2nd round onward. Small, quick forward)
6. Anthony Bonnaddio (2nd round onward. Small Mid/Fwd. Has pace and is a goalkicking threat)
7. Matthew McDonough (2nd round onward. Small, but strong marking forward)
8. Tim Membrey (2nd round onward. Undersized key forward, likely 3rd tall marking target)

From a Dogs point of view, I see us finishing 13th (maybe 14th if we lose to BL in rd 23) this year. That is on the basis of looking through the fixtures for the rest of the year...

In that case, these are the selections I reckon, given teams above us and their needs.

1. GWS - Lachie Whitfield. Best available!
2. GC - Jake Stringer. Same, best available!
3. Port - Jimmy Toumpas. Mids are what's needed. One of best available, SA mid. Seems pretty obvious.
4. Melb - Jack Viney. Father/son.
5. Melb - Brodie Grundy. Melb's needs are a ruck or KPD yeah? Grundy not likely to be available for their mid 1st round pick, so will pick him here (whereas KPD should be available).
6. Bris - Mason Shaw. Need to reload their KPF stock. This is annoying from a Dogs perspective, as I expect we would pick him at 7 had he been available.

7. WB - Nick Vlastuin. Best available.
8. WB - Again, just best available. Sam Mayes maybe?

Obviously these picks could change heaps, but looking at the fixtures, I think they will be around the mark in terms of finishing pos (other 12 teams are probably a tier above Bulldogs/Lions).

Big ticket item in here could be the u17 mini draft picks, which could change things a little...

You could not have done a better job is misunderstanding Melbourne's needs.
They have in 4 ruckmen as backup for Jamar, not including Clark or Sellar.

And KPD is probably our strongest area.

We need mids that win their own footy, and preferably fast and skilful ones.

Toumpas, Vlastuin, Wines, Atkins, Simpson, Stringer - whichever of those are there, we will choose from.
It would be a surprise, but we may also seriously look at Shaw, as he might be too good to pass up since Watts looks destined to not be the powerful KPF we envisaged.
I'd put Grundy in that same basket, but only if we see him as a KPF.

It might also be pessimistic of me, but I think Port have shown more this year and will finish above us.

You could not have done a better job is misunderstanding Melbourne's needs.
They have in 4 ruckmen as backup for Jamar, not including Clark or Sellar.

And KPD is probably our strongest area.

We need mids that win their own footy, and preferably fast and skilful ones.

Toumpas, Vlastuin, Wines, Atkins, Simpson, Stringer - whichever of those are there, we will choose from.
It would be a surprise, but we may also seriously look at Shaw, as he might be too good to pass up since Watts looks destined to not be the powerful KPF we envisaged.
I'd put Grundy in that same basket, but only if we see him as a KPF.

It might also be pessimistic of me, but I think Port have shown more this year and will finish above us.

Who are Melbourne's KPF other than Clark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back