Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2017 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont think there would be many AFL watchers that would take Rockliff ahead of Cotchin if they were forming an AFL team either, Just going by statts is not a good way to select best 22 players.

P.Cripps playing just 15 games compared to Cotchin's 25 games

If Statts are the benchmark for the top 20 then Surely Rory Laird & Sam Docherty are to be included easily over Cripps with the quantity of poss and the DE

With Rockliff it depends on expectations.

My comments were from memory a prediction of 2018 performance (assuming no injuries and full healthy to all).

With Rockliff, his form through the first eight rounds (before a shoulder issue) was in my view of a clear best 20 standard. That's the player I expect to see, as opposed to the second half of season, shell of himself version.

Laird had a terrific season and would be in the top 20 midfield conversation. I view him more as a back though given that's where he plays most of his footy, he's a clear top five general defender. Docherty is obviously out for next season. He has had a remarkable two seasons now. Outside types I find more difficult to credit to the same extent as those genuine ball winners, but due to a different role, I'd also categorise them differently, and separate them from onballers. Docherty provides meaningful drive and gets a ton of it. He just doesn't win much of it contested and he needs the lines of Cripps among other midfielders winning it in order to be effective. He was the premier outside mid in 2016. That's probably hard to dispute.

As a Richmond supporter that watches alot of games , I can honestly tell you that Cotchins 2017 is way better than his 2011 and just as good as his 2012 if not better , Stats not give you a full indication on a players value

You mention 600 disposals per game for a midfielder who averages less than a goal a game, Cripps (24.9)averages 1.3 poss a game more than cotch (23.6)
Cripps only av .2 goals a game compared to cotchins .6 and cotchin played 25 v 15 for Cripps
There is a bee's dick difference in just stats but visually in 2017 Cotchin is easily top 20 in performance and value on the ground.

Cripps I rate highly based on my expectations stemming from his 2016 form. Last year was a below expectation year (though he still featured higher on averages per game in each of these categories v Cotch), and it's a season he'll easily improve on most will assume in 2018. What places Cripps so high is the % of ball he wins in the contest and how many clearances he wins. 354 contested/215 uncontested in 2016 with 185 clearances. He's a monster and can improve on those numbers. Placing outright first for clearances per game (1.2 per game ahead of Josh Kennedy who placed second) and equal first for centre clearances per game with Dangerfield. Second overall for contested possessions, 0.1 behind Josh Kennedy and 0.6 ahead of the next best. He is already special.

If you're asking me round 1 2018. Do I want Cotchin or Cripps? Give me Cripps. He may come outright first in each of the three key categories in 2018 - contested possessions, clearances and centre clearances. Cotchin probably hovers somewhere around 20-25 in each in 2018 which is in line with his normal output. They're among the stats that matter and most impact on winning.

U clearly dont watch that much AFL. Obviously ur time on the under aged kids takes up 99% of ur time. I don't have to look at Kelly's stats and numbers to know this kid is already clearly in the top 5 players in the comp.

A lot of people hold Kelly in regard this high. And I know precisely why. Excellent ball user. Covers an insane amount of ground each game. Production is there - disposals, tackles. Clearances, i50s and contested possessions all strong, hits the scoreboard for a solid number of goals per game. He's a complete player. No dispute from me.

The only debate is whether he would rank amongst his peers. And a lot of it will come back to which elements of the game you consider most vital to winning.

If you prioritise endurance and skills. Kelly would be rated higher. If you consider contested possessions, clearances and centre clearances more vital to winning. You're rate Kelly relatively lower. I fit into the latter and as such rate Kelly outside of my top 5.

In just midfielders, it is fairly simple to rate Dangerfield, Martin (presumably consensus top 2 mids in the game at the moment), Fyfe (given sheer contested possessions/clearances/centre clearances - in addition to marking capabilities forward of centre), Ablett (complete game, production with better contested side to his game and much higher impact forward of centre) and Pendlebury also better ball winner/stoppage player with higher level skills/composure in traffic again by comparison to Kelly, all favourably to Kelly.

I love Fyfe. Absolute gun. But Kelly is special. He does things with his kicking Fyfe could only dream of doing.

Fyfe is a shocking kick, and Kelly is obviously a far better kick, Fyfe's argument is the way he impacts games in the contested and stoppage elements in addition to his dominant marking when he pushes forward of centre. He has claims to be the more influential and important to winning.

Gday mate thought Hayden McLean and Jordan Butts were unlucky to not be drafted both plenty upside for KP players at least rookie spots.I rate Mclean more tho and better upside.

Jordan Butts I felt was very stiff to get overlooked. Led all in marks in the TAC Cup, and was the youngest draft eligible player. He has the endurance and can play back or forward. I hope he comes back next season, as he is someone who could with continued improvement build a strong case for getting drafted in 2018. I'd like to see him work particularly on his ground level stuff and otherwise just come back a better, more dominant player.

Hayden McLean was another who was unlucky, though he's more one I saw as a VFL player anyway. I struggled with him seeing a best position. Only ok as a forward. Too short to ruck in the AFL. Could play back. Otherwise he's a relieving ruckman who probably doesn't stand out among AFL ranks. Others may disagree with me though, as he had his fans throughout the year.

Josh Kennedy, Bont, Pendles, R Gray also have the runs on the board. Kelly may end up being better but he has not had a better season than any of the above.

If Selwood, GAJ, Beams can get back to their best, he is behind them too. That rounds out the top 10. Comfortably in the next group with Sloane, Zorko, Mitchell, Hannebery etc.
Kelly>Beams. Quality over quantity.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kelly>Beams. Quality over quantity.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kelly (on 2017) performance has Beams clearly covered - both qualitative and quantitative. Disposals, inside 50s, tackles while having comparable contested possession, clearance and centre clearance stats. With the extra ground covered and better ball use of Kelly to target - a longtime weakness of Beams who while an ascetically pleasing kick is an ineffective kick to target who rarely lowers his eyes and finds the short target.

Only in 2012 and 2014 could a case be made that Beams had better seasons than Kelly did in 2017.

If we are to predict 2018 season output. Kelly should rate ahead of Beams with his numbers and overall play trending clearly upwards, with Beams' durability a major inhabiting factor with 2012 the last season he played 20 or more games.

I love Fyfe. Absolute gun. But Kelly is special. He does things with his kicking Fyfe could only dream of doing.

There's more than a few things Fyfe does that Kelly would dream about.

Health/injury is why Kelly would be 3. People are forgetting Fyfes brownlow year already.

Cotchin turned himself into a poor-middle class man's Michael Voss this season

His number of possessions is irrelevant

He's well ahead of Adams and Treloar based on 2017 form, to mention 2 names getting overhyped

All Adams and Treloar do is cop flack for anything they do. Two highly undervalued players outside of Magpieland, specifically Adams.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A bit rude. Take my hat off to the dude. He's grown a huge following and is progressing in to the field he is passionate about by sheer hard work rather than being in the AFL boys club. With the rise of the net and being able to project your own personal brand/content you couldn't have picked a better time in history.

Kudos to you Knightmare. You know your doing well when some posters are hating (not saying this quoted poster is but I've seen it on here).

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Rockliff it depends on expectations.

My comments were from memory a prediction of 2018 performance (assuming no injuries and full healthy to all).

With Rockliff, his form through the first eight rounds (before a shoulder issue) was in my view of a clear best 20 standard. That's the player I expect to see, as opposed to the second half of season, shell of himself version.

Laird had a terrific season and would be in the top 20 midfield conversation. I view him more as a back though given that's where he plays most of his footy, he's a clear top five general defender. Docherty is obviously out for next season. He has had a remarkable two seasons now. Outside types I find more difficult to credit to the same extent as those genuine ball winners, but due to a different role, I'd also categorise them differently, and separate them from onballers. Docherty provides meaningful drive and gets a ton of it. He just doesn't win much of it contested and he needs the lines of Cripps among other midfielders winning it in order to be effective. He was the premier outside mid in 2016. That's probably hard to dispute.

Cripps I rate highly based on my expectations stemming from his 2016 form. Last year was a below expectation year (though he still featured higher on averages per game in each of these categories v Cotch), and it's a season he'll easily improve on most will assume in 2018. What places Cripps so high is the % of ball he wins in the contest and how many clearances he wins. 354 contested/215 uncontested in 2016 with 185 clearances. He's a monster and can improve on those numbers. Placing outright first for clearances per game (1.2 per game ahead of Josh Kennedy who placed second) and equal first for centre clearances per game with Dangerfield. Second overall for contested possessions, 0.1 behind Josh Kennedy and 0.6 ahead of the next best. He is already special.

If you're asking me round 1 2018. Do I want Cotchin or Cripps? Give me Cripps. He may come outright first in each of the three key categories in 2018 - contested possessions, clearances and centre clearances. Cotchin probably hovers somewhere around 20-25 in each in 2018 which is in line with his normal output. They're among the stats that matter and most impact on winning.

A lot of people hold Kelly in regard this high. And I know precisely why. Excellent ball user. Covers an insane amount of ground each game. Production is there - disposals, tackles. Clearances, i50s and contested possessions all strong, hits the scoreboard for a solid number of goals per game. He's a complete player. No dispute from me.

The only debate is whether he would rank amongst his peers. And a lot of it will come back to which elements of the game you consider most vital to winning.

If you prioritise endurance and skills. Kelly would be rated higher. If you consider contested possessions, clearances and centre clearances more vital to winning. You're rate Kelly relatively lower. I fit into the latter and as such rate Kelly outside of my top 5.

In just midfielders, it is fairly simple to rate Dangerfield, Martin (presumably consensus top 2 mids in the game at the moment), Fyfe (given sheer contested possessions/clearances/centre clearances - in addition to marking capabilities forward of centre), Ablett (complete game, production with better contested side to his game and much higher impact forward of centre) and Pendlebury also better ball winner/stoppage player with higher level skills/composure in traffic again by comparison to Kelly, all favourably to Kelly.

Fyfe is a shocking kick, and Kelly is obviously a far better kick, Fyfe's argument is the way he impacts games in the contested and stoppage elements in addition to his dominant marking when he pushes forward of centre. He has claims to be the more influential and important to winning.
"The only debate is whether he would rank amongst his peers."

His peers rated him the 3rd best player in 2018. Agree a fit Fyfe would take his spot next year but I have Kelly in the top 5 with Buddy.

Adams with ball in hand is a really interesting player. Occasional skill errors, but by Collingwood standards, he's actually not one of the worse players to have it in the hands of. He looks for aggressive options by foot and also will provide run - which not enough at Collingwood do.

Like Cotchin, Adams is a 20-30 in the game mid for mine.
Occasional skill errors is an understatement. He's one of the worst players to have the ball because he takes so many aggressive options and shanks them frequently. Everything else is great but he needs to better understand his limitations.

Last edited:
prob would be a question best answered after the pre-season comp.

Agreed, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be an answer forthcoming. :p

Playing actual games doesn’t seem to have much impact on some people’s assessments of players.

Hey KM, first time, long time.
Just a quickie regarding keepers drafts.... who would your top 15 prospects be post draft? Interested to hear your thoughts from this year's pool

While it's a simple answer, follow my power rankings and take out the talls (kpps/rucks).

Gday mate our vfl team tigers signed Charlie Thompson from the chargers was very unlucky not to get drafted maybe a year or 2 may benefit him to crack it at afl.Has alot of good parts to his game.

Gday mate our vfl team tigers signed Charlie Thompson from the chargers was very unlucky not to get drafted maybe a year or 2 may benefit him to crack it at afl.Has alot of good parts to his game.

Charlie has the size, ball winning capabilities, endurance and work rate to star in the VFL. A great get for Richmond's VFL side and a future leader of the club.

He's not the type AFL clubs tend to seek as a slower type who is below average by foot. But he's someone who could play half-forward and get you 25 disposals and 2 goals or through the midfield and get you 35 and 1 (when established at the level) - while working hard both ways and playing the role of on-field coach.

He's not fashionable, but he's very effective and one of those sorts I'm rooting for to kick on and force a club to take a shot on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back