Luke Hodge - where is he at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
His torpedo out of defence was uncharacteristic of him, just seemed to bomb it and hope. Far from our worst today though

Copped a fairly decent knock on the jaw (accidental, I think from Mcintosh ) on the goal line and was checking his jaw or cheek for a while afterwards. Don't know if it affected him but he didn't look the best.

I have noted his tendency for the odd clanger since the 2008 round 17 match vs Geelong. His kicking has never been elite really, that is a fallacy.

However I thought his game today was not bad. He had a quiet start playing at half back (why is our captain playing at half back and not in the middle?) but worked into the game. His clearances at the start of the last quarter were the reason we hit the front.

Unreal some of the folk on here, we lose a game and all of a sudden we are rubbish, Clarkson cant coach, Hodegey is finished, Roughy should be sent to CHB etc etc. CALM DOWN! Hodge was taken out of the game yesterday but he is still a champion, our leader and still easily in our best 18, you same people will be singing his praises next week

Yep. The game was uncharacteristic for him, but it is a one off, and he has been good so far this year. Great against Freo and against Essendon until he went off. Absolutely nothing to worry about. He is capable of the odd clanger sure, but his kicking is still better than most in the afl.

Knee-jerk of the century

Ideally we'd be grooming someone to take over from him next season ...... but who?

The best leaders at the club would be Mitchell and Burgoyne ...... GREAT leaders !!!

I dont see any standout candidate to take over from Hodgey in the next year or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some short memories on here. For mine as good as he is down back he is wasted there at times, needs to be used on ball more often for short periods during the game, went in there early in the last and had real impact.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and yes for the record, Hodgey had a stinker, but so did 21, sorry 20 other blokes, Mitchy Hallihan cant be blamed for that effort.

But seriously our Box Hill Squad would have done better than what we served up last night.

But as my 8 year old said to me last night, "If Spangher was in the team we would have won" Enough said...;)

But as my 8 year old said to me last night, "If Spangher was in the team we would have won" Enough said...;)
Said the same thing to my daughter. We just needed someone who was a better match up on Hawkins than Cheney. The Cats forwards really exploited that mismatch well. They lead the other back men away and allowed Hawkins to be isolated one on one with Cheney time after time, especially in the last quarter.

Where is he at? let's see:
V Bris - Was really important, playing tall in a short defence.
V Ess - Playing a very good game until injured.
V GC - 32 disp, 6 I50's
V Geel - Average

So, out of the 4 games he's played he's been really good in 2, excellent before injured in 1, and average in 1.

Some people on here are.............well, you'd hope they are kids.

Where is he at? let's see:
V Bris - Was really important, playing tall in a short defence.
V Ess - Playing a very good game until injured.
V GC - 32 disp, 6 I50's
V Geel - Average

So, out of the 4 games he's played he's been really good in 2, excellent before injured in 1, and average in 1.

Some people on here are.............well, you'd hope they are kids.

Gee on that form he must be thinking about hanging up the boots, he is clearly finished our Hodgey *rolls eyes*

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Ideally we'd be grooming someone to take over from him next season ...... but who?

The best leaders at the club would be Mitchell and Burgoyne ...... GREAT leaders !!!

I dont see any standout candidate to take over from Hodgey in the next year or two.

Lewis - Has done ok when in the role.
Langford - Has leadership written all over him.
Anderson - Has leadership potential.
Hallahan - ?
McEvoy - Has leadership qualities.

Leaders the quality of Hodge don't come along often, but we have a good program at Boxhill with players being groomed to come in.

Wasn't great yesterday but I wrote him off after 12' so I ain't gunna do it again. He was good against GC the week before as well

I did this too, and was happy to be proved wrong last year, has had a reasonable start to the year, Geelong always put a lot of work into him, they never allow him to lay off his man down back and don't allow to go 3rd up, would have been nice for the coaches to recognise this and do something different with him ( tag SJ/ defensive forward etc..) He has never been a great kick or decision maker with ball in hand ala Burgers , so nothing new there.

Clarko is a great coach and we are lucky to have him but he had an ordinary game in the box yesterday, clearly outcoached. Reserve judgement on Hodgey.

One point in the game that worried me about Luke was when he was running with the flight of the ball at Guthrie who was set to take a chest mark. Hodge looked at the ball and decided not to go for the spoil.

Now, he may have thought he would infringe if he continued, or he may have been short on petrol tickets, I don't know. However, the Hodge I know (and love) would have attacked that ball ferociously and made Guthrie, at least earn it. A goal resulted.

Last edited:
I think he was off -balance and there was another cats player who could have applied body pressure.

I hate to say this but I think 2014 will be a swansong season for Hodgey. If you recall the great warrior Glen Archer's career ended in a similar way. The mind is willing but the body is not able.[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back