NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hearing Reservoir have taken a big gamble on the $$ they can raise to pay these new recruits.

A real, get them in and find the money later situation.

It may work out if they start winning who knows
I hope this is not true as last time they did this they won a premiership then went into recess

From HS

Fitzroy Stars looking to bounce back into finals after difficult NFNL Division 3 debut​

31 for 31: After a difficult NFNL Division 3 debut, Fitzroy Stars has loaded up on experienced talent as it looks to end a seven-year finals drought.

Fitzroy Stars have loaded up as they look to jump back into finals.
After relegation from NFNL Division 2 in 2022, the Stars continued to fall down the ladder last season, finishing seventh in Division 3 with just five wins.

However, a busy off-season has the club primed to challenge for a premiership in 2024.

Former Melbourne AFL and Collingwood VFL gun Neville Jetta has jumped on board from Bundoora, while Patrick Farrant arrives after a 100-goal season for Bridgetown in WA’s Lower South West league.

Kain Proctor returns to Sir Doug Nicholls Reserve from Bundoora, while Alex Williamson (Heidelberg West), Ryan Lovegrove-Hudson (Mernda) and Desmond Tipuamantumirri (Rumbalara) are also on board.

Farrant (Collingwood) and Tyson Pickett (Bullants) have earnt VFL contracts for 2024.

Stars coach Lionel Proctor said the club had identified a major need over summer.

“Obviously after our first year in divvy three, we knew what we needed to get and that was a lot of leadership and experience,” Proctor said.

“My son, Kain, comes back from Bundoora to help (Jai) Burnsy out, Patty Farrant has been playing senior footy since he was a little fella.

“We definitely needed to fill that leadership void and we’ve done that with Nev (Jetta) obviously and Alex Williamson too.”

Fitzroy hasn’t played finals 2017, ending the drought is top of the priority list.

“We don’t want to put a ceiling on it, but we’re aiming for finals,” Proctor said.

“We were able to match it with teams last year but getting the quality of fellas in we have this year will only add to that.

“Then guys we’ve had, with another year of senior football, are really standing up over the pre-season.

“Kyle Thomas is getting better and better each year and Keadin Ronnan played a few games last year but has had a massive pre-season so I’m looking forward to seeing what he can produce.

“Then we’ve got the twins, James and Connor Trajkovski, they’re really good, they just want to learn and been listening to a lot of what Nev says and had a really good pre-season.”

The Stars have played two practice matches, against Essendon District club Keilor Park and Army, and will wrap up preparations with a final hitout against VAFA Division 2 premier Parkside.

The club will travel to Kinglake for a blockbuster Round 1 clash with Kinglake, who will have Brownlow Medallist Dane Swan making a guest appearance.

Jetta is expected to be available, adding further star quality.

Proctor has been pleased with what’s he’s seen in the pre-season.

“Our numbers have been really good, we’ve had around 80 attend since the start of pre-season,” he said.

“The battle is to keep the guys coming along but it’s a really good sign, the majority of the list has attended most sessions.

“We’re learning a new game plan and some new structures, we’ve played two praccies now, which has been really good.

“We played Army on the weekend and against Keilor Park were scrappy early but got going after half-time and run over the top of them, four goals down at three-quarter-time and got up by three goals.”

You would assume they've had to offer over's to some of these blokes to come to a team that has mostly been flogged in recent years, so lets hope have they have someone bank rolling this, or it will end up messy.
Realistically they should be able to do it easily. They should be not even close to the salary cap. Half there team should be on $50 or less.

And is Marshalls injury worse then first thought? Hearing back end of the year and still may not be 100% right.

Interesting to see how the Bloods go tomorrow against North Sunshine seeing Reservoir played them and beat them. I know its a only a practice match but you still want to be winning coming into Round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Division 3 practice matches

Kinglake Vs Skye @Kinglake
Mernda vs Oak Park @Therrys Oval
Heidelberg West vs Kew @Heid West
Fitzroy stars vs Army 4th Brigade Fitzroy Stars
Ivanhoe vs Salesian College
Epping Vs Templestowe @Epping
Kilmore vs Coburg Districts @Coburg Districts

Unable to find any information for:
Old Eltham
Reservoir
Lalor
Old Paradians
Lalor v Nth Sunshine 23/3

Wandered up to Eltham College to watch the turtles first praccy today. From what I saw, they will be very hard to beat. Malone, McCaffer, Kavanagh all massive ins. Beat Kew (Div 1 Ammo’s) by 9 goals (I’m told there was 8-9 changes to Kews team that beat West Heidelberg comprehensively last week - so not too sure what to take from the team they fielded today).

Wandered up to Eltham College to watch the turtles first praccy today. From what I saw, they will be very hard to beat. Malone, McCaffer, Kavanagh all massive ins. Beat Kew (Div 1 Ammo’s) by 9 goals (I’m told there was 8-9 changes to Kews team that beat West Heidelberg comprehensively last week - so not too sure what to take from the team they fielded today).
Heard WH obliterated against Kew last week there might be a big gap with the top end for them. How’d all other teams go this weekend?

Heard WH obliterated against Kew last week there might be a big gap with the top end for them. How’d all other teams go this weekend?
I heard west h had 12 out last week and were very undermanned with a handful of guys doubling up from the reserves.

So effectively they beat a div 4 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back