NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Scully will play round 1 - Reservoir no doubt has a bag of tricks up their sleeves. will be a interesting contest on round 1. Round 3 will also be one to watch, reservoir plays Mernda, reservoir new coach has an historic connection with mernda - expecting to pull some decent crowds and have some rivalry. It will be interesting to see the seeson play out
Looking forward to the Rd 1 clash to see how we fair against a resurgent Reservoir - especially if Tom plays. With a very different looking list, new coach and some confidence about their rebuild it will be a great first up test for us in game 1 competing within the NFNL.

Chump

Last edited:

Epping
Old eltham
Ivanhoe
Stars
Mernda
Heidelberg West
Parade
Reservoir
Kinglake
Kilmore
Lalor
Wow reservoir above kinglake and Kilmore. They have picked up some very good quality, but there bottom 10 players are still going to be very ordinary.

I hope your right, it will be good to see

I’m still skeptical on a lot of these reservoir recruits. Maybe my research is incorrect but..

Trajonovski played 1 reserves game at Macedon since 2022

Ayce Taylor from what I see signed at Crib Point and didn’t play a game?

Dean Johnson didn’t play a game for Doutta stars after signing to play in 2020

Steven Smith has played 7 reserves football games since 2019

James El Mousalli played 4 games for Doutta in 2021 but transferred to hawthorn afc where I’m not sure even played a game in that time?

Jack Craig Smith 3 reserves games in 2022, zero games in 2023.

Some big question marks here if my research is correct. Don’t get me wrong if they commit and play they’ll far exceed what they have had previously but who knows how keen these blokes are.

1.Epping
2. Old Eltham
3. Mernda
4. Fitzroy Stars
5. Kinglake
6. Heidelberg west
7. Ivanhoe
8. Parade
9. Kilmore
10. Reservoir
11. The Bye
12. Lalor
Two weeks out ....... 🤷

1. Old Eltham
3. Mernda
3. Epping
4. Fitzroy Stars
5. Ivanhoe
6. Parade
7. Kinglake
8. Kilmore
9. Heidelberg west
10. Reservoir
11. Lalor

Chump

1. Old Eltham
2. Mernda
3. Epping
4. Fitzroy
5. Ivanhoe
6. Heidelberg West
7. Kinglake
8. Parade
9. Kilmore
10. Reservoir
11. Lalor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any update on Kinglake, read on here that there numbers at training were worrying Pre Christmas, picked up since then?

Any update on Kinglake, read on here that there numbers at training were worrying Pre Christmas, picked up since then?
They had a 10 goal win on the weekend apparently - over Alexandra from outer east league (Not sure where that would sit, and it's only a praccy)

Johnno1089 have played 2 practice matches both reserves and seniors so would think numbers are now ok
If numbers weren’t great Big footy will be all over it

From HS

Mix of youth and experience to lift Kilmore back up NFNL Division 3 ladder​

31 for 31: After falling out of finals contention last season, Kilmore is confident its young talent mixed with experience can lift the club back up the ladder.

Kilmore will hand the reins to the club’s young talent this season.
The Blues were forced to blood the kids last season, dropping out of NFNL Division 3 finals contention with just six games – four against Reservoir and Lalor.

The club hopes that foundation will see it bounce back up the ladder in 2024.

Young players natural improvement combined with existing talents such as Chris Barton and Mick Marrett and the addition of key recruits such as Ben Barton, Kye Maher and Joe Coe has Kilmore coach Paul Derrick bullish about its direction.

“The beginning of last season we lost about 800 games of senior experience, which was a bit much in one hit,” Derrick said.

“We pumped games into the young kids and you can already see with the three practice games, with a different game style and as they mature we’ll change that up, they’re playing some good footy.

“Last year we had to rely on whatever we had left, five or six senior guys, to do the grunt work and play through them a lot.

“This year we’re putting more faith in the young guys in one-on-one contests and giving them more specific roles, so they’ll be more important than ever.

“Being an old Mernda head, I’ve looked at what South Morang did – built from within and trusted the young guys.

“They had some hard years, we don’t want to go back that far and I don’t think we did last year, so now it’s a matter of building it up and keeping the locals on board and improving.”

Barton arrives after earning Team of the Year honours in the Heathcote District league with Colbinabbin, while Coe (Mernda), Maher (North Heidelberg), Luke Chapman (Longwood), Brad Deed (Laurimar) and Ryan Bailey (Macleod) add experience and leadership.

Longwood best-and-fairest winner Mitch van de Duim and Wallan under-19s captain Brian Lawrence have also jumped on board.

Captain Marrett and Barton finished joint eighth in the Division 3 league best-and-fairest, while Barton earned Team of the Year honours.

Derrick knows his leaders will produce on a weekly basis and is backing the next generation to step up to more senior roles.

“My boy Ethan, he kicked 27 (goals) last season but we want him to get up near the 40 or 50 mark,” Derrick said.

“Our onball list is headed by Chris Barrett and Mick Marrett but after that I think everyone else is under 21, all those guys will be asked to step up to another level.

“Marcus Lacorcia has had a fantastic pre-season, he’s a great size and athletic.

There’s a host of young blokes, even Ben Doyle who’s still 17s eligible played a lot last year and I’d say he’d be a permanent fixture in our senior side this year.”

Kilmore wrapped up pre-season preparations with a practice match win over Essendon District club Sunbury Kangaroos.

The Blues also matched up against Roxburgh Park and Coburg Districts.

However, the club will have to wait an extra week after drawing the bye in Round 1.

A home match against Reservoir at Clancy Reserve will kick off the season on April 13.

Derrick is looking forward to seeing some of new faces take to the field.

“Ben’s going to be fantastic but he got injured in one of the practice games so we might not see him until Round 3 or 4,” he said.

“The first half of the practice game he did play he was BOG by a mile, so he’s going to be great for us.

“Brad Deed has come across from Laurimar and you can already see the influence he has on the group, he’s got VFL experience, and he’s a natural leader.

“Ryan Bailey has come across from Macleod and just lifts the level of training straight away and Kye Maher from North Heidelberg.

“Josh Coe is a massive pick-up for us, he’s been fantastic already and I’d put him in the top list of ruckmen in the comp if he continues to improve.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back