Non-Lions Footy Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The very essence of the game is improved"? Non comprehende.
The situation changes, it gives the event a greater mainstream feeling which socially resonates with not only the fans and public, but the individuals involved in the game itself. Hence the increased spectacle.

How's that? Look everything goes up a few notches essentially for everyone.

Unbelievable grand final, and I am not a league fan. That was just incredible.

Broncos fans deserved a grand final loss. Will toughen their spoiled fanbase up.

Yeah I have not watched a RL game for years.. don't even bother with SOO anymore, but caught the second half of the GF. After yesterdays game being effectively over at quarter time it was good to see a tight contest, and that ending was exhilarating.

On a side note it is kind of interesting that many Broncos fans seem disappointed but ok with the Cowboys winning. Maybe it is the Qlder link with JT. If (and it is a very big if) there was ever an AFL GF - Lions vs Suns do you think many of us would feel the same? Personally there would be no chance that I would have similar feelings.

Agree that AFL does appear to have a very big problem with the evenness of the competition. It is very likely that the top 4 could be very close to the same teams again next year. Building a competitive side is just so difficult and takes too long. Equalisation is a fantasy.

On a side note it is kind of interesting that many Broncos fans seem disappointed but ok with the Cowboys winning. Maybe it is the Qlder link with JT. If (and it is a very big if) there was ever an AFL GF - Lions vs Suns do you think many of us would feel the same? Personally there would be no chance that I would have similar feelings.

It would be like the Suns (without their concessions) going without a premiership for 23 years despite having a loyal fanbase and only reaching the finals a handful of times while the Lions had quite a few successful eras in between. Imagine you supporting Hawthorn in a few years and losing to the Bulldogs or Saint Kilda maybe.

Agree that AFL does appear to have a very big problem with the evenness of the competition. It is very likely that the top 4 could be very close to the same teams again next year. Building a competitive side is just so difficult and takes too long. Equalisation is a fantasy.
Lol, no.

I think for leaguies, State of Origin is so big that all Qld league fans love JT (and Scott and Morgan). SOO makes you love players from other clubs.
We have no connection to the Suns other than Rischa. Maybe if they were coached by Voss and had 3 or 4 admired former Lions we had let go, we might be happy for them to have done well.

It would be like the Suns (without their concessions) going without a premiership for 23 years despite having a loyal fanbase and only reaching the finals a handful of times while the Lions had quite a few successful eras in between. Imagine you supporting Hawthorn in a few years and losing to the Bulldogs or Saint Kilda maybe.

I will be happy if 23 years have passed and they are yet to win. Doubly so if we have had nothing resembling success in the same period.

Imagine you supporting Hawthorn in a few years and losing to the Bulldogs or Saint Kilda maybe.

Is this a dream state or alternate reality? Only explanation for Hawthorn losing to the leagues biggest chokers;).

I get your point but putting the Broncos who haven't won since 06 with the Hawks who have won 4 in the same time is probably not right. More suitable would be changing to Collingwood, biggest club, won 1 recently, up against Saints/Dogs. I think there would be no chance of their supporter base being happy with losing a GF to them.

Casual watchers of our game from Qld would probably have the Lions and Suns as their first and second sides (in whatever order). We've had this discussion before and there's a fair proportion of diehard Lions fans here that like the Suns and want them to do well.

I'd love a Lions v Suns grand final!

Casual watchers of our game from Qld would probably have the Lions and Suns as their first and second sides (in whatever order). We've had this discussion before and there's a fair proportion of diehard Lions fans here that like the Suns and want them to do well.

I'd love a Lions v Suns grand final!
Booo.

If it wasn't for AFL House's ability to somehow siphon billions out of media organisations, you'd chuck 'em out for screwing up on almost every level.
FIFA demonstrates just how many cracks money can paper over.

Leagues a bit weird because of state of origin, most people wanted JT to finally get a premiership for his Cowboys, so even if one was a Broncs supporter I could see how it wouldnt be soul crushing

I'd never be happy that another team beat us in the grand final, but if a team beat the Titans in a grand final I wouldn't care

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The NRL Granny was incredible, I don't like the game, but I watched the whole thing. I was pacing the lounge, with my heart pounding as he took that kick, hard not to love that JT bloke, he just oozes class and you want him to succeed. One of the most enjoying spectacles I've watched in a while and highlighted just how boring out last 3 GF's have been with Hath-yawn dominating the league.

On a septate note, I can understand the Woosha appointment at the Bombers, they need a safe, reliable face at the helm, but TBH, I don't like it. Roos, Eade and Malthouse all have struggled after being lured out of retirement. I just don't know if he has the drive, it take a lot of passion to be at the forefront of the modern game.. just not sure it's a great appointment. Will be interesting to see how he goes anyway.

Woosha is the right person. Seems to love footy and being involved. He had a break and has his passion back. Getting into a big name club that will be well resourced and has an ok list. Bombers list needs some work, but if they make the right moves they can bounce back quickly.

Woosha is the right person. Seems to love footy and being involved. He had a break and has his passion back. Getting into a big name club that will be well resourced and has an ok list. Bombers list needs some work, but if they make the right moves they can bounce back quickly.

Assuming the pending WADA decision is kind to them...

I'm not sure about the Essendon list. The midfield is very shallow, particularly if Watson's body is shot. They don't have great youth although they could build a future around Daniher if he comes on. I just think they don't have a core to build upon.

I'm not sure about the Essendon list. The midfield is very shallow, particularly if Watson's body is shot. They don't have great youth although they could build a future around Daniher if he comes on. I just think they don't have a core to build upon.
They have a spine - I'd happily take Daniher, Hurley & Co as a starting point.

Hooker should play down back and they need more firepower up forward. Just have no depth at all and a severe lack of young talent after Heppell, Daniher and Zac Merrett.

They need to be able to ID the ones that will be there and contribute towards the next finals push, make tough calls on the rest and start rejuvenating the list. Dont think they need a full bottom out and draft rebuild, they could do well in trading some surplus draft picks from players leaving to bring some in.

I do agree that they need some midfield depth. Have dome handy players but it doest bat deep, and some of their better players in Stanton, Goddard and Watson arent exactly spring chickens. Need some midfield quality, and some talls, especially after Ryder and now Carslile are gone.

He also went to Adelaide to help out after the tragedy of Phil Walsh, so has been and seen modern footy close up in recent times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back