Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is also interesting that an independent MP from Tasmania raised the documents following the state election that resulted in a hung parliament and the sitting government (pro-stadium) having to negotiate with independents (anti-stadium).

He is also the member for Clark, which is Hobart and his electorate would likely directly benefit from the stadium.

Wilkie is a Federal MP.

And to be fair Wilkie is one of the more principled MPs in Federal Parliament. Quitting his job as an intelligence analyst and going public over WMD lies that led Australia into the Iraq war - his claims proven to be absolutely correct when Cabinet documents were released. It’s that integrity that has seen him re elected as an independent at successive Federal elections.

Cannot see him playing political games on this at all. He just wants the claims made public and properly scrutinised.

Tom Browne talking smack.

I would suggest the AFL as a whole would be in significant issues if Wilkies’ claims are correct.

If they have covered up drug tests, what else has the AFL done? Is it a fair competition?
I'm disappointed you even need to ask that question.

The AFL has never been a fair competition. I've posted before that there would be plenty of execs at AFL House with KPIs around maximising revenue but I doubt there's a single exec with a KPI of ensuring the competition is fair and equitable.

So ‘this has always been the AFLs medical model’ as if that explains it.

The fact that no one outside the AFL knew about it IS the issue. Why the secrecy?

More boys club BS.
They’ve basically said, yeah it’s all true.
Whatcha going to do about it?

The whole AFL illicit drugs policy is just a PR exercise. All of the stories about AFL players doing drugs need to be met with some 'action' by the league. The actual truth is that the league fully endorses illicit drugs and one of the reasons for this is because the majority of AFL and club executives would be using the stuff too.

the original tweet from Tom Morris was that he is owed $3m and the MFC can apply to the AFL to have some or all of it sit out of the cap.

It isn’t unusual for players to be medically retired in the NRL, but it’s the NRL who decides if it’s a medical retirement or not. Point about the loop hole is the smoke and mirrors in the AFL, that a club has to “apply” for dispensation for something that should just happen. Means the AFL has an ability to manipulate the outcome. Where have we seen that before?

Should Brayshaw be paid out. Morally, yes, but legally, that depends on the terms of the contract. I’m sure the collective bargaining agreement would mean he is covered - if that be from MFC, directly from AFL or the players union health fund, it’s doesn’t really matter.
Anytime the Afl has a choice it will show its biassed hand. Always has, always will.

The whole AFL illicit drugs policy is just a PR exercise. All of the stories about AFL players doing drugs need to be met with some 'action' by the league. The actual truth is that the league fully endorses illicit drugs and one of the reasons for this is because the majority of AFL and club executives would be using the stuff too.
That’s exactly what wilki inferred if you flick thru his address. He is suggesting that Bartletts dismissal is a direct result of asking for mandatory drug testing industry wide, from executives to players. 8 weeks after raising it to AFL House he was sacked(this is just after being handed a new 3 year contract too).

A practice that appears to be sanctioned by the AFL.

Melbourne aren't in trouble.

Yep.

And it’s a policy that is defensible on many levels imho. Illicit drugs are endemic across society and blanket bans simply do not work.

The AFLs responsibility is to the integrity of the game and the safety of its players so testing for performance enhancing drugs and anonymous counselling for players caught with other substances would seem to be a responsible way of managing this issue.

But FFS be transparent and honest about it rather than keeping the policy hidden until exposed.

I wonder how many of the AFLs media partners knew about it but kept the secret because of their reliance on AFL income?

This cover up stuff is the bigger issue and just adds to the mistrust of AFL House.

Oh and let’s not forget that AFL players are promoted as role models by the AFL, regularly visiting schools and other community places outside of game day duties. Where is the responsibility there? Our own clubs Indigenous and community programs across SA and the NT for example.

Last edited:
Wilkie is a Federal MP.

And to be fair Wilkie is one of the more principled MPs in Federal Parliament. Quitting his job as an intelligence analyst and going public over WMD lies that led Australia into the Iraq war - his claims proven to be absolutely correct when Cabinet documents were released. It’s that integrity that has seen him re elected as an independent at successive Federal elections.

Cannot see him playing political games on this at all. He just wants the claims made public and properly scrutinised.

I agree with you regarding Wilkie and being very principled. He is one member of the House I have some respect for.

Although, I was being slightly “conspiracy theorist” in my comment, one advantage of being an independent is that you can actually represent your electorate and not be dictated to by party policies.

The stadium is a big deal in Tasmania because of its cost. If enough people raise it to him, why wouldn’t he comment? All politicians are populist in some way.

And for the record, other federal politicians have inserted themselves into the stadium debate and the recent state election. Jackie Lambe, for one didn’t even hide her thoughts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL has never been a fair competition. I've posted before that there would be plenty of execs at AFL House with KPIs around maximising revenue but I doubt there's a single exec with a KPI of ensuring the competition is fair and equitable.
For us, general disgruntled Football supporter, that was a rhetorical question.

I really like football, can’t stand AFL.

A practice that appears to be sanctioned by the AFL.

Melbourne aren't in trouble.

I would much prefer to be playing Essendon this week, and Melbourne next week as the gather round game after they have spent a full week in Adelaide 'enjoying life'.

Here comes the spin...

Was Willie Rioli aware of this before he got busted doing his fake piss test and got done for a year for weed?
Are all players/teams aware of this option and have this available for them?
By having them sit out games do they avoid post match testing by relevant authorities and avoid a strike/punishment?

The AFL should just forgo the government money and just run its own program. At least then it is honest and fair for all players.

It's worse than just turning a blind eye to "recreational" drugs and sidestepping WADA codes and ignoring potential corrupting interactions with betting markets: if Bolivian marching powder for one example is formally seen as performance enhancing on match day, surely having performance enhancing (or reducing!) substances in your system at training - for a bloody contact sport FFS - is at the very least a core workplace safety and professionalism issue?

It's not at all up to the league to change this in society but there is a duty of care in managing an atypically dangerous workplace.

The crows have been absolutely kissed on the dick by free agency.

How many times have they gotten overs for a finished downward trending player?

Bock , crouch , that player so forgettable that I can’t remember his name and even gcs forget he was on their list , now doedee.
Phil Davis?

I don’t think GWS forgot about him. Played 150 odd games for GWS and was the mainstay of their backline. He was a good defender, but had some weird injuries which finished him in the end.

They have lost a few defenders recently. Doodee, Lever, McGoven, Davis, Bock… just from the top of my head. Does losing players to FA talk to culture?

The crows have been absolutely kissed on the dick by free agency.

How many times have they gotten overs for a finished downward trending player?

Bock , crouch , that player so forgettable that I can’t remember his name and even gcs forget he was on their list , now doedee.
The rat looking guy? Hand to the ear. What the freck was his name?
Pretty sure they gave him five years

Micheal Warner confirms this in his book the boys club

Was Willie Rioli aware of this before he got busted doing his fake piss test and got done for a year for weed?
Are all players/teams aware of this option and have this available for them?
By having them sit out games do they avoid post match testing by relevant authorities and avoid a strike/punishment?

The AFL should just forgo the government money and just run its own program. At least then it is honest and fair for all players.
Doesn't it then lose its tax free status too (what's questionable it should even have)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back