Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 27

Remove this Banner Ad

Take that King:

Meanwhile, Christian saw Butters’ incident “a little differently”.

He said the key difference was that the Port Adelaide vice-captain contested the footy, while Crouch did not.

Zak Butters came in to contest the ball, he had both hands down, had his eyes on the ball and in fact touched the ball with his left hand. In our judgement, he was contesting the ball in a genuine manner,” Christian added.

“I think we’ve got to be very careful that we allow players the opportunity to contest the ball, it’s an integral part of the way the game is played and we felt Zak Butters did that.”

It’s not 100 per cent clear if the bump was high, says Christian. But since he didn’t deem it careless conduct, impact wasn’t considered.

Both Crouch and Butters should have been cleared. Period.
Next time should they slide into the contest and break legs?
There's absolutely no other way they could have challenged the ball in those situations and their opponents were NOT injured.

Once again the blokes second to the ball dont have a duty to protect themselves, they're literally leading with their heads to win frees? There's no discussion about this whatsoever which is an absolute joke in a 360 degree contact sport. Why are we punishing the ball winner, theres a difference between a "bump" and clipping someone high whilst their body and their eyes are on/over the ball ? There's dickheads in the media stating Butters was challenging the contest to aggressively and "too fast"
What's his alternative option ? Sit and wait and let Freo walk the ball out of the contest and win the game? Kings a laughing stock truly.

Last edited:
There's absolutely no other way they could have challenged the ball in those situations and their opponents were NOT injured.

Once again the blokes second to the ball doesn't have a duty to protect themselves? There's no discussion about this whatsoever which is an absolute joke in a 360 degree contact sport. Why are we punishing the ball winner, theres a difference between a "bump" and clipping someone high whilst their body and their eyes are on/over the ball ? There's dickheads in the media stating Butters was challenging the contest to aggressively and "too fast"
What's his alternative option ? Sit and wait and let Freo walk the ball out of the contest and win the game? Kings a laughing stock truly.
We need to put speed limits on players and fine them if they go too fast. Is that what they are saying?

Weird the AFL promoted Dunstall to legend status when he still alive

Rather than bottling it and doing it shortly after his death

I think it's pretty clear West Coast don't need a priority pick. It's amazing the results you can get when you try and be good and get to work. The hysteria in the media after a few losses this year was ridiculous (most of it from WA)
Would not be surprised to see them winning 6-7 games. Their list when fit is fine.

Crouch chooses to bump and at that point he stops contesting the ball. You can see he tucks his arms up. Thats why he got a suspension.

Anyone thinking Crouch should get off should've also been thinking Hunter should've gotten off when he laid out Rozee last year.

Take that King:

Meanwhile, Christian saw Butters’ incident “a little differently”.

He said the key difference was that the Port Adelaide vice-captain contested the footy, while Crouch did not.

“Zak Butters came in to contest the ball, he had both hands down, had his eyes on the ball and in fact touched the ball with his left hand. In our judgement, he was contesting the ball in a genuine manner,” Christian added.

“I think we’ve got to be very careful that we allow players the opportunity to contest the ball, it’s an integral part of the way the game is played and we felt Zak Butters did that.”

It’s not 100 per cent clear if the bump was high, says Christian. But since he didn’t deem it careless conduct, impact wasn’t considered.

Is this the first time Christian has ever made sense??

I think it's pretty clear West Coast don't need a priority pick. It's amazing the results you can get when you try and be good and get to work. The hysteria in the media after a few losses this year was ridiculous (most of it from WA)
Would not be surprised to see them winning 6-7 games. Their list when fit is fine.
Nobody should ever get a priority pick.

That said, if Norf can get multiple priority picks after not even finishing bottom, Wet Toast should absolute get one.

Just watched the Butters "incident" lol what the * how is that even highlighted. That happens a hundred times a game.

When it happened in the replay I actually assumed that the ball must have somehow come back to him because it must surely be about a different incident

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess King's feelings on contact to the head are based on what school you attended:

Its more obvious than that. North, with their warchest were the leading team to sign Gaff at the end of the year.

They were going to have Gaff on one wing and Polec on the other.

So this was a big sook that Gaff was going to potentially miss his first few games for the Roos.

It was actually quite a shock to the Melbourne AFL media when Gaff chose to extend with West Coast after the Grand Final.

I seldom go onto other club's sites, but given Crouch was suspended and Butters not, which were the correct decisions for the two situations I decided to have a look at the reactions from tingle barrackers.

It may change when the majority get home from work, but as of a few minutes ago surprisingly there wasn't a huge gap between those in agreement with both decisions, and those against it!

Any team with a Premiership in the past 10 or so years should definitely not get one. Suck it up Wet Toast.
Nobody should get one.

There is a draft that provides first access to players to teams that finished lower. If that isn't enough then you're a poorly run club and should be punished for that.

Any other arbitrary rules are just another grey area that can be exploited by AFL house to promote teams they like.

The AFL only provides priority picks for their own selfish reason, ie wanting clubs to stay competitive enough to maintain tv viewers, hope for fans and crowds attending games.

Hopefully based on this, the AFL won't give WCE a priority pick because their fans would continue to attend games and support the club, given the size of their membership.

Weird the AFL promoted Dunstall to legend status when he still alive

Rather than bottling it and doing it shortly after his death
Took marks and kicked goals in an era when full forwards started from the goal square. Deserves it based on the number of goals but have to wonder how he would've gone playing for Fitzroy or Sydney in those days.

Arrived at Hawthorn after playing for Queensland in round 1 of the 1985 night series, knocked out by St Kilda. Round 2 he suited up for the Hawks against Port Power est 1997 in stolen magpies guernsies at Footy Park, score H 111 d PA 92. They went on to win the Foster's Cup.

So, I went back and counted the number of facebook posts between FOX Sports Australia and FOX Footy on the Butters bump.

I got to eight different Facebook posts since Saturday night but 1 on Yeo. Come on…. Move on.

we are one of the meekest non-confrontational clubs and have been for over 10 years but they still go overboard pretending we have this nasty thug streak, but nobody's ever bought it. that butters incident, i didn't even bother searching it up or anything because as soon as it happened i knew it was nothing, but i couldn't predict media going on and on about it, that's just absurd

Took marks and kicked goals in an era when full forwards started from the goal square. Deserves it based on the number of goals but have to wonder how he would've gone playing for Fitzroy or Sydney in those days.

Arrived at Hawthorn after playing for Queensland in round 1 of the 1985 night series, knocked out by St Kilda. Round 2 he suited up for the Hawks against Port Power est 1997 in stolen magpies guernsies at Footy Park, score H 111 d PA 92. They went on to win the Foster's Cup.
Dunstall was a smart player similar to Lockett in ways.
Mostly lead from the goal square and normally straight up the ground.
Most of his goals from 35-40 out dead in front.
That’s the problem with a lot of modern day players, they tend to lead to pockets making the shot more difficult.
In saying all this he was a lovely kicker of the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back