Autopsy Post game. Close but not quite. Pies down by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone who booed Mitchell tonight tell me why?

Someone on our board suggested it was because of his sledge of the drug pigs last week, but that can't be right, can it?

At the start of the game, I suspect Pies supporters were feeling pretty hard done by with a few holding the ball decisions that didn't go our way. Fired up the crowd good and proper and Mitchell, being in the 'bad books' this last week, probably became the scapegoat for the game.

At the start of the game, I suspect Pies supporters were feeling pretty hard done by with a few holding the ball decisions that didn't go our way. Fired up the crowd good and proper and Mitchell, being in the 'bad books' this last week, probably became the scapegoat for the game.

What about the Non-Paid Mark with Cloke early in the Game?

To pick up the ball, one must bend over. The free kick was there.
Rules have changed where you cannot do what Rioli did. Maybe tv footage shows different angle but for right in front of us Rioli led with his head and made no attempt to stand or avoid head high cannonball contact. So maybe you're right but its such a grey area this interpretation. I've seen this paid as a free kick against the ball carrier most of the year. Not here to argue just calling it as I saw it from our angle ten metres away.

Why the f**k is Hale allowed to put both hands on our ruckman (whilst not even looking at the ball) push him out of the way and go for the ball? He does it time and time again!

Top effort and really liking the way we are playing. Reid cannot come back quick enough to play the 3rd tall forward.

We are on the same page at last!!!

Regardless of tonight's results you should all be very proud. Many including myself wrote you off preseason, yet again you showed us all what a tough hard football side you really are. Goal kicking cost you big time. It's a shame we might not see you till September, but be proud. A great game of football was played tonight.

The one thing that really stands out with debutantes who've come through the VFL - there needs to be more than two or three efforts at the ball. Used to be the old mantra, 2nd and 3rd efforts, go back in again, so on and so forth. But that is sufficient for the VFL, at AFL level 4 or 5 efforts are needed. Moore and Maynard learned that lesson tonight and now have something quite significant to work on back in the VFL. Same happened with De Goey and we're seeing him develop with every game.

Frustrating game. Must win next week.

P.S. I feel tonight was the first time since 2012 that we've made Hawthorn take note. I believe we have genuinely gained their respect with this game.

Can anyone who booed Mitchell tonight tell me why?

Someone on our board suggested it was because of his sledge of the drug pigs last week, but that can't be right, can it?
Might have been his acting when Elliot bumped into him, went down like a sack of potatoes.

IF we Kicked Straight we win by about 5 Goals
You may be right TD but a lead of a few goals may have forced a change in the way the Hawks played. Clarkson could have made a few moves to wrestle back the initiative and we all know what those bastards are like when they get on a roll.
They mongreled out a win as experienced sides do.
As for others who thought Buckley was satisfied with the narrow loss. You don't know him. He is very analytical and would be looking at all the little bits in the game that contribute to us being so close and us losing the game. When it comes down to it, a lack of polish will eat away at him.

Might have been his acting when Elliot bumped into him, went down like a sack of potatoes.
Was that in the first 5 minutes? Because he was booed for the entire game.

The one thing that really stands out with debutantes who've come through the VFL - there needs to be more than two or three efforts at the ball. Used to be the old mantra, 2nd and 3rd efforts, go back in again, so on and so forth. But that is sufficient for the VFL, at AFL level 4 or 5 efforts are needed. Moore and Maynard learned that lesson tonight and now have something quite significant to work on back in the VFL. Same happened with De Goey and we're seeing him develop with every game.

I think it not Great Playing Kids 1 game then sending them Straight Back to the VFL.

Maynard and Moore would of Learnt a Ton Tonight. Still think I give Moore at least 1 more game vs Port

If you'd been told before the match Toovey would keep Rioli to 7 kicks you'd have taken that :cry:

Was wondering what the rule is when players with the ball after a free kick or mark and the ump calls play on, how close an opposition player can bee.
Harry used to stand slightly behind the player but it seemed that the Hawks player was very close.

Was wondering what the rule is when players with the ball after a free kick or mark and the ump calls play on, how close an opposition player can bee.
Harry used to stand slightly behind the player but it seemed that the Hawks player was very close.

Don’t Know and Probably be Different for different Scumps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something I noticed too. A couple of times Darcy made a contest, the ball hits the deck and he was caught flat footed. Still, good to give 'em a taste and make them even moore hungry.

I think Mitchell was booed because he had been put under the microscope during the week and a parochial crowd zeroed in on him to put him off his game and release some frustration. More theatre and gamesmanship than genuine angst.

Something I noticed too. A couple of times Darcy made a contest, the ball hits the deck and he was caught flat footed. Still, good to give 'em a taste and make them even moore hungry.

I think he sometime was in 2 Minds and was not a 100% sure what he had to do but have to play AFL to find out how to play well there. Can’t do that at VFL Level.

I think he did also follow up well on others contests as well

Another week, another "honorable loss" that we really could of won if we took out chances. Sick of it. Glad to see the improvement but theres every chance we could go 0-4 in our month thats testing us out. If we don't win the next 2 games ill be seriously disappointed. Only thing that will sit right with me after we should of won the last two weeks.

Was that in the first 5 minutes? Because he was booed for the entire game.

I didn't hear Mitchell being booed at all. Was in AFL members. Who cares if he did anyway? The best players used to get booed every week, Bucks definitely did.

Another week, another "honorable loss" that we really could of won if we took out chances. Sick of it. Glad to see the improvement but theres every chance we could go 0-4 in our month thats testing us out. If we don't win the next 2 games ill be seriously disappointed. Only thing that will sit right with me after we should of won the last two weeks.

We should Beat Port but Dogs be very tough at Docklands as they play very well there and we struggle there. Eagles are also at Docklands and they are playing very well.

We could go 1-2 in our next 3 Games

I think he sometime was in 2 Minds and was not a 100% sure what he had to do but have to play AFL to find out how to play well there. Can’t do that at VFL Level.

I think he did also follow up well on others contests as well

Yeah, not rubbishing his debut. I thought he was serviceable.

Did he and Spangher play on each other last week in the VFL? I found that mildly amusing.

We should Beat Port but Dogs be very tough at Docklands as they play very well there and we struggle there. Eagles are also at Docklands and they are playing very well.

We could go 1-2 in our next 3 Games
That's simply not good enough tbh. We've seen what this group can do, and it's progressed quicker than we all imagine. Port and West Coast at Etihad are games we should really be beating if we're a serious side. The dogs, I would say we should be beating, but the dogs at Etihad are 5x better than the dogs at the G so I'd give that a 50/50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back