Autopsy Post game. Close but not quite. Pies down by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, not rubbishing his debut. I thought he was serviceable.

Did he and Spangher play on each other last week in the VFL? I found that mildly amusing.

Yeah They Did and I found Moore got out in front more of Spangher.

Though he had him Dead in the 3rd Qtr where he had about 20 Meters to himself but White Kicked it him was a Bloody Helicopter and was no where near him

Angriest I've been at the footy for a while. Man we should have won that game.

How good was Pendles?

Agree - I was also in a very Foul Mood at the Footy tonight. Did not help I broke my Mobile Hoping in a bus at Frankston to go to Mordiallic to catch Train to City. Then that took 2 bloody Hours. Bad Goal Kicking and Dawks Fans did not help either

Agree - I was also in a very Foul Mood at the Footy tonight. Did not help I broke my Mobile Hoping in a bus at Frankston to go to Mordiallic to catch Train to City. Then that took 2 bloody Hours. Bad Goal Kicking and Dawks Fans did not help either

Gotta say the Hawks fans I was around in the AFL members tonight were the worst set of fans I have seen in the last 5 years. Arrogant, offensive, etc. I am not normally one to criticise but they were a disgrace.

Gotta say the Hawks fans I was around in the AFL members tonight were the worst set of fans I have seen in the last 5 years. Arrogant, offensive, etc. I am not normally one to criticise but they were a disgrace.

Yeah - Had 2 Directly behind me and I was very Tempted to turn around and Hook Him. They make you stay at home then put up with them

Toliet Lid Copped it instead after the game

Yeah - Had 2 Directly behind me and I was very Tempted to turn around and Hook Him. They make you stay at home then put up with them

Toliet Lid Copped it instead after the game

A bloke got in my face and screamed "CYRRIIIILLL"... did my best to ignore him and walk down to the bar

Ok....the things that really stood out 4 me;

1. We lack polish across all areas of the ground which at crucial times costs us dearly.....that's why I reckon if Shazza plays another good game in the 2's this week then he needs 2 come into the side, we desperately need his skills and decision making down back.....the same goes 4 Reid but that's another story.

2. Grundy needs 2 come back in next week....the Witts and White combo is working well but it's that other 3rd tall spot that we need 2 get more out of....I, like everyone else want to see us get more games into the likes of Moore but at this stage I reckon we can get more output out of Grundy and Witts along with White as apposed 2 Moore replacing one of those 3.

3. We desperately need another KPF but unfortunately they don't grow on trees....2 costly misses from White in the past 2 weeks doesn't look good but as I've said before, he isn't a 2nd KPF....he's act been alright 4 us this season, 4 me if he kicks 25+ goals this year then that's a tick 4 me....get another key tall and he can play the role he is best suited 2, 3rd tall pinch hitting in the tuck.

4. I now no why Bucks wanted Varcoe so badly, was great again 2night and is so important 2 us with his run, tackling and 1 percenters.

5. I'm as big a critic as everyone is but Fasolo is crucial 2 our 4ward set up....another good game 2night but suprise suprise just needs 2 finish it off.....not sure he'll be on the trade table at seasons end if he continues with this form 4 the rest of the season.

6. Broomy and De Goey are our future and are developing very well.

1. We lack polish across all areas of the ground which at crucial times costs us dearly.....that's why I reckon if Shazza plays another good game in the 2's this week then he needs 2 come into the side, we desperately need his skills and decision making down back.....the same goes 4 Reid but that's another story.

Agree - At Times we paniced when we had the Ball and got rid of the Ball to Quickly and Turned it over because of that

4. I now no why Bucks wanted Varcoe so badly, was great again 2night and is so important 2 us with his run, tackling and 1 percenters.

Varcoe has been Fantastic and Getting away from the Cats might he re-kicked he career off

To many on here still talking finals. 2015 was never about that. It's about developing the young players for 2016-2020.

Have we improved - yes for sure, so we are ahead of schedule, but don't focus on the short term stuff. It's the long game that's important.

The Hawks window is still open but it's closing. Pies p'ship window has just started to open. Come 2016-2020 the sun will be streaming through that window.

Very happy with the improvement over the season so far. Still a little rough around the edges and need a little more polish around the forward line, but that will come.

Towards the end of the season teams won't be looking forward to be playing us...

It's 2009-2011 over all again.

Exciting times ahead.

#GoPies

To many on here still talking finals. 2015 was never about that. It's about developing the young players for 2016-2020.

Have we improved - yes for sure, so we are ahead of schedule, but don't focus on the short term stuff. It's the long game that's important.

The Hawks window is still open but it's closing. Pies p'ship window has just started to open. Come 2016-2020 the sun will be streaming through that window.

Very happy with the improvement over the season so far. Still a little rough around the edges and need a little more polish around the forward line, but that will come.

Towards the end of the season teams won't be looking forward to be playing us...

It's 2009-2011 over all again.

Exciting times ahead.

#GoPies

That is why I think we will see lot of the Kids in the 2nd half of the Year.

Bucks has played the Kids and Hine saying that we still have a Very Young List(That he wants to add Experince Too). They think this still mostly a Development Year.

Though lot more Exciting Season then last year

I watched the game in a 'sports bar' in Kampot in southern Cambodia. Australia+ TV does not extend this far so the British owner had been persuaded to pay the $150 a year for AFL coverage.

The game started at 4.50pm local time. Three of us sat together watching the smaller TV in the open air bar. There was a Hawks supporter, an Adelaide supporter and me. Copious amounts of local beer were consumed, particularly as I had arrived 50 mins early and got a head start.

By the last quarter, with a faint hope of victory fueling my enthusiasm, I was becoming rather animated as we got ahead. With 2 and a half minutes to play and Collingwood 4 points down and heading into their forward line, the feed dropped out and we lost the picture. After several failed attempts to restart it, I got the final score off bigfooty. Talk about an anti-climax!

The boys played well but what a shame to lose through poor goal kicking. Cloke smashed Lake then threw any advantage gained away with poor kicking. Elliott was really disappointing. Our defence held up well but the Hawks goals came too easily given the difficulty we experienced around goals.

With Roughead out for the Hawks we had our best chance in a while to knock them off. Crisp, Varcoe, Pendlebury and Sidebottom gave us drive through the middle, but our forwards let us down badly with their inaccuracy.

Last edited:
The boys played well but what a shame to lose through poor goal kicking. Cloke smashed Lake then threw any advantage gained away with poor kicking. Elliott was really disappointing. Our defence held up well but the Hawks goals came too easily given the difficulty we experienced around goals.

With Roughead out for the Hawks we had our best chance in a while to knock them off. Crisp, Varcoe, Pendlebury and Sidebottom gave us drive through the middle, but our forwards let us down badly with their inaccuracy.

That Sums it up pretty well and you can add Adams playing another Fantastic Game in the Midfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in the USA currently... Couldn't watch the game.

I want you all to remember that we are Collingwood (who so far have only beaten GWS in the top 8) and they are Hawthorn (the dominant team of the last 5 years who were almost at full strength.

Every time we play Hawks we get completely outclassed. Even if we only lose by 30 or so, the game is usually out of our control by half or even quarter time.
Even with Shaw, Thomas, et al all still playing for us we struggled to beat these guys.

We has 2 debutantes playing. Last time we had multiple debutantes against the Hawks it included Jackson Paine and Yagmoor I believe... And we were smashed.

Look at the talent we have coming through now! The guys who played tonight will likely be 200 gamers! And they'll only get better the longer they get in the 1's, just like degoey.

In consecutive weeks we have played the 2 premiership favs and only really lost due to inaccuracy/class! That is stuff that can and will change.
Also, unfortunately when Elliot doesn't kick a goal we generally don't win. Elliot is allowed to have a minor form slump, and the team will grow because they'll need to get goals from elsewhere (ala when cloke had major slumps last year).

Don't get into this "I'm going to be so annoyed if we lose next week and the week after blah blah". That's unfair. Our club is building and challenging! I love it!
Am I happy with losing? No! But I am happy with effort! And I'm not going to chuck my membership away if we don't win the next few games. We need to just play our hearts out. And if we do that, we (the supporters) should be happy! Remember this is a team which, on paper, should be a 7th-12th side. We're on a rebuild, we were written off pre season and half the ppl on this board think Bucks can't coach... Yet we've just matched it, 95% of the game time, with the two best teams in the comp in consecutive weeks.

That last 5% will come.

2. Grundy needs 2 come back in next week....the Witts and White combo is working well but it's that other 3rd tall spot that we need 2 get more out of....I, like everyone else want to see us get more games into the likes of Moore but at this stage I reckon we can get more output out of Grundy and Witts along with White as apposed 2 Moore replacing one of those 3.

3. We desperately need another KPF but unfortunately they don't grow on trees....2 costly misses from White in the past 2 weeks doesn't look good but as I've said before, he isn't a 2nd KPF....he's act been alright 4 us this season, 4 me if he kicks 25+ goals this year then that's a tick 4 me....get another key tall and he can play the role he is best suited 2, 3rd tall pinch hitting in the tuck.

5. I'm as big a critic as everyone is but Fasolo is crucial 2 our 4ward set up....another good game 2night but suprise suprise just needs 2 finish it off.....not sure he'll be on the trade table at seasons end if he continues with this form 4 the rest of the season.

6. Broomy and De Goey are our future and are developing very well.

I see you like the number 2 a lot...

It's interesting you say this, because goal kicking aside, I thought that was some of the best skill and polish we've displayed under real pressure since 2011. It was so badly let down by our goal kicking. But our hands in close, our over-lap run and carry and even our foot skills were pretty good...except in front of goal.

Cloke could be in trouble if these blokes have their way with that kick to the face.
G'Day Adam H how's the new troll account going back to your old tricks I see.

How many new "Collingwood" posters would make every post a negative about Collingwood (and Boyd of The Bulldogs) while signing the praises of McMartin. While also posting in the Yarra Vally football league?

Last edited:
I dunno if anyone else has noticed a trend but against the hawks in our past few games we have been very inaccurate in general. I specifically recall us getting good momentum against them in patches and never capitalising. Today it ultimately caught up with us cause we were in it til the end. All we needed was a little composure in front of goal and its disappointing that our senior players were the main culprits. I know its a good thing that we pushed 2 of the top teams but in reality we could have beaten them too. Same with richmond. Take our chances properly and we are entrenched in the top 4 with a genuine shot. I know we have a future ahead but all it takes is an injury or 2 to derail a team and ruin a season. We need to take our opportunities IMO and I hope the boys learn from these losses.

Last edited:
I thnk there's a case for giving Gault another try. Even in his low stats games I thought he played an effective role. he's very mobile for his size. good chance that he'll do better next time around.

Fits my theory that goal kicking is the biggest indicator of belief. WE;ve been Dawk's bunnies for so long that the subconcsious belief against them is still a bit crippled. Next time the belief will be a bit better so hopeuflly accuracy will be too.

I thnk there's a case for giving Gault another try. Even in his low stats games I thought he played an effective role. he's very mobile for his size. good chance that he'll do better next time around.

Just a shame he can't kicks goals at AFL level.. or VFL level.. and he has no game sense or ability on the ground and is a mediocre athlete.

Amazing photo. Well done Hawks and sorry for calling you arrogant. I was wrong.

Yep ... it was a brilliant moment ... you can tell Bucks & Clarko drove that, one of the best things I've ever seen on a footy field

Boys, mark my words ... that's easily the best Pies side we've played in the last 3-4 years.
.. considering the young age of your list ... I'd be very excited about the future .. what Bucks has done in 12 months is outstanding .. much respect

It's been a slow rebuild ... but it's starting to show dividends .. pies will seriously challenge in the next few years

To pick up the ball, one must bend over. The free kick was there.

The free was there only because Varcoe turned his body into him, Rioli did lead with his head and really over duck into him. Still Varcoe should of tried to avoid his head or at least not turn his body into it.

For mine one that is being over looked was the free vs Elliott for sliding in when he dived and won possession. Disgraceful umpiring all night the frees missed were as bad as the frees given if not worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back