Autopsy Post game. Close but not quite. Pies down by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone who booed Mitchell tonight tell me why?

Someone on our board suggested it was because of his sledge of the drug pigs last week, but that can't be right, can it?

It's because we are sick of him bringing "his" own ball to the game against us ALL the time :p

P.S I could never boo him he is a true champion.

Huge statement last night by the Pies, in recent times Hawks have always carved them up, kicking 20+ goals each time... I kept expecting your players to tire out but they kept coming til the final siren...

Goal conversion is a an obvious thing that would have changed the result, but the recent trend is that the backline are getting opened up a little too often, and it has happened in a lot of games in the last 2 months. Still couldn't stop Hawks from kicking about 12 really loose goals which is the problem. Cyril kicked 4 goals from just happening to be the guy out by himself after some poor play around the middle, and his fifth was a head high dive that was a poor decision.
We were a 20% better side around the ground just didn't convert and our backs sagged off too far when they were transitioning.

Well I'm not happy we lost I'm certainly not upset with an honourable loss. Fremantle & Hawthorn two teams that have had our number recently. Could we have won them both? Yes, did we? No.

The important thing to remember is that we've been competitive in most if not all of our games this year. That's a big step forward for me. There's a lot to work with and kicking for goal is #1 as it has been for a while. If we fix that I have no doubt the second half to the season will be great.

You poor bugger.

S'OK this morning. I have exorcised the anger.

I was concentrating only on the game itself. I'm only too fully aware of the emotional impact yesterday had on everyone - immediate family, friends, players, fans.

From the perspective only of a Collingwood fan I'm gutted we lost one we had in our grasp. From the perspective of a human being I thought the whole way yesterday was handled was extremely dignified and becoming of everyone involved.

I hope the rest of the round can continue with the removing of banners, songs, etc. Makes it more poignant in a way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still not happy about the loss last night.

"That" player that didn't have the fortitude to take that shot in the
last quarter has me still shaking my head.

Must beat Port next week.

Certainly low impact. Not sure what his record is like.
in all honesty when two players get low for a ball if both aren't side on someone is gonna get hit in the head. Don't know what you are supposed to do about that - in fact I think it is more on the front on player to get side on it is their head that is gonna get whacked after all.

I was at the game last night and I was really pleased we played you guys. Two Victorian power teams showing respect for each other and playing the game the way it should be played. A hard fought, fast, skillful, close game all night. No pre-game hype (what a lovely change) and no cringe-worthy team songs after the match.

Collingwood is building and I suspect next year they will be strong premiership contenders. Kudos to Bucks and the coaching team.

That's the loss that stings. Still feeling it the morning after.

2-9 in the third quarter, f**k me!

Hawthorn, like Freo, are the sides that if you don't take your chances, and if you make a slight error (i.e. Cloke's shocking handball to De Goey in the last, and Maynard's two errors that cost us two goals in the third), they'll make you pay.

I can forgive Maynard's errors, he's debuting. But for a senior player who has played 10 years, in three grand finals, knows exactly what pressure football is all about, and should be setting the example for the younger players, to continually make the most basic of errors at the most important time of the game - absolutely unforgivable.

I just hope two losses like that doesn't deflate the team and we go missing next week. No excuses, we should beat Port and we should go in favourites.

in all honesty when two players get low for a ball if both aren't side on someone is gonna get hit in the head. Don't know what you are supposed to do about that - in fact I think it is more on the front on player to get side on it is their head that is gonna get whacked after all.
Good post, there was a piece of play in our game against freo where Pendlebury done just that, he turned his body and ended up coming away from the contest with the footy. Remember the commentators saying that's how it should be done.

For positive views, see that thread. For negatives, think Jesse White. He got the ball enough to be judged as playing well, and up the ground, he certainly did so. The mental weakness that saw him decline to take the shot late in Q4, and try an unsuccessful pass to a badly placed Swan says all too much about why Sydney didn't want to keep him. Cloke misses frequently, but he never declines a chance to shoot for goal.
Jamie Elliott had a poor one. He was closely watched, and didn't handle it. With Moore in the team, he should not have been flying either. The forward structure was different this week, and Elliott was rarely a target. He didn't crumb well.
We got a tough trot from the umpires, with several marks disallowed, and several dodgy frees to Hawthorn got them goals. We only had one such.
It was frustrating throughout the game to see players get the ball, clutch it to their chests and try to barge though. They were given huge amounts of time to break tackles, and were not penalized if they failed to. Hawthorn got more benefit from this, but our players did it too. Early in the year, these events were rightly judged as holding the ball. Now they are not. The interpretation should be simple. If they get through, then it's good work. If they don't, it's holding the ball.
Biting back the disappointment of a second narrow loss, I have to say it all looks pretty good, and these two games went far better than anybody predicted even 3 weeks ago. It is a measure of the team's improvement, and our inconstancy and now burgeoning expectations, that we are in a position to feel disappointed by these results. The behaviour of our players under the greatest pressure available in the game at present has been outstanding. We look at the might have beens, when we should be very happy with what was. We aren't of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back