Postive And Negatives in GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Kicked a clutch goal though, unlike the majority of others who had shots. Regardless of possessions, and he spent time in defence, the fact he converted his opportunity had him amongst our best in my book.

You can't be serious having him in our best. He hsd no impact at all wherever he played. Terrible game from someone who has so much ability.

You can't be serious having him in our best. He hsd no impact at all wherever he played. Terrible game from someone who has so much ability.

He wasn't alone in having no impact. But no matter how badly we played we were in it for 3 quarters. If everyone had the exact game they had with the one difference being players who have build reputations for being good players kicked strait then we'd of been even going into 3 quarter time and had the legs to steamroll them from there. Hawthorn spent 90% of their energy in the first half. Hodge said after the game they were pretty much cooked. Even with the shocker we had in the first half we still could of taken the game back in the third but just keep continued to blow chances. When the Hawks hit back once our momentum was spent for no result it was game over, players gave it up.

Yeo had a low output game to be sure, but was switched into defence where possessions don't matter and when his opportunity to put a score on the board came up he kicked truly. He's no grand final villain in my book.

This was the only bit of play where an Eagle looked like there was a premiership on the line.
Massive kudos to Wellers. Him, Sheed and Shep easily the most improved this year.

Won 2 contests then.

One of the best pieces of play for us in the GF

Won 2 contests then.

One of the best pieces of play for us in the GF
This is what ever player did all game 3 weeks a go.
Our highlights package is full of dropped marks, missed tackles, turnovers, poor goal kicking.
Wasn't a lot to cheer about. Gov probally had the single best highlights package and he's only played 35 games.

This should be posted in the change rooms, on every locker, on every piece of gym equipment, imprinted on the peak of their hats during the preseason

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444048801.848523.jpg

As much as I love Jack Darling I'm still extremely frustrated at some of the mistakes he made. I shouldn't single out players but he's way better than that.

Anyway good season. We achieved way more than I ever expected. I hope this gives them a burning desire to be completely ruthless next year.

Have read quite a few reviews into the game and one (cannot remember which one) highlighted the swirling, gusty wind and then went onto to suggest this may have been a contributory factor in our miskicks, dropped marks etc.

I noticed on a few occasions we didn't drill the pill as we have been for most of the season but rather reverted to our the up and under too often.

Having said that our 'A' game was late getting to the game and left very shortly after arriving. That and the fact Hawthorn were very impressive throughout.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeo was horrible and any other analysis of his performance is dead set wrong.

I'd rather judge players for what they did do rather than go wishing anyone had done more. This game was in the end the shootout everyone predicted. A low scoring shootout but still a shootout, we were never starved of opportunity. Hawks took damn near every opportunity they had, we blew a sheerly embarrassing amount. I don't buy into any of this "they were too good for us on the day" stuff Simmo and the players have been saying to make themselves feel better. Yeo gets a pass from me because:

Elliot Yeo: 1.0
Matt Priddis: 0.1
Sam Butler: 0.1
Mark Lecras: 0.2 until a gift from Kennedy 3 minutes from full time.
Jamie Cripps: 0.1
Nic Natanui: 0.1 although a sheppard on the goal line would of meant 1.0
Shannon Hurn: 0.1
Matt Rosa: 0.1

Jack Darling: 1.1
Josh Hill: 1.1
Luke Shuey: 1.1

Jeremy McGovern: 2.0 *Top goalscorer, played 80% of the day in defence.
Mark Hutchings: 1.0

I count 11 missed shots there, 66 points. Hawks would of nailed 90% of those chances. If we'd of kicked even half of them 3 things would of happened. Negative scoreboard pressure wouldn't of crushed our spirit and we'd of run harder. Hawks would of had to run harder, and they were cooked. We'd probably of won.

Result had nothing do do with people having low output in terms of possession and everything to do with efficiency.

Last edited:
13 players hit the scoreboard. 19 shots on goal. Grand Finals are about taking your opportunities, only 3 players didn't miss their shots and Yeo was one of them. 4 had mixed bags. The rest [6] blew their chances. Jack Darling gifted the Hawks 2 first quarter goals and another in the 3rd with errors you wouldn't expect from a 1st gamer. Forget the "where was Priddis, Yeo, Kennedy" talk and line up the blokes who actually had chances in the game and just didn't take them.

I can't see how you can possibly defend Yeo's game. He was putrid. More putrid because we know what he is capable of.

I'm not specifically having a go at him, as he's young and wasn't alone in his level of play. It's more you saying that you give him a pass mark. That's crazy. You do realize this is football and you create your own chances. Oh yay, he kicked a goal.

Yeo is a gun.

Loved him in 2015. Really rated his season.

But he was non existent bar the goal before half time, a ghost. Gave away some telling frees IIRC also.

Horrible horrible game, on the biggest stage of them all.

Can't wait to see him use that as fuel to excel in 2016.

I can't see how you can possibly defend Yeo's game. He was putrid. More putrid because we know what he is capable of.

I'm not saying I think he had a good game. Of course ideally he could of had 20 plus possessions. My point is only that to win the game we didn't need more possessions or more shots on goal we needed better conversion. He converted. In a winning side Yeo 25 possess 1 goal isn't really that different to Yeo 4 possessions 1 goal.

I do realise that in football you create your chances. Sure the more chances you create the better but we had 19 shots of goal and 13 players hit the scoreboard. Hawks had 25 shots from 14 players. Pretty close. The major difference being 6 Hawks shot 1.0 and 6 eagles shot 0.1

In analysing the game I just don't think its necessary to say hypothetically we needed more possessions out of xzy when the possessions we had were enough to get an outcome had we of been good enough to rise to the occasion and convert gettable goals.

I'm not saying I think he had a good game. Of course ideally he could of had 20 plus possessions. My point is only that to win the game we didn't need more possessions or more shots on goal we needed better conversion. He converted. In a winning side Yeo 25 possess 1 goal isn't really that different to Yeo 4 possessions 1 goal.

I do realise that in football you create your chances. Sure the more chances you create the better but we had 19 shots of goal and 13 players hit the scoreboard. Hawks had 25 shots from 14 players. Pretty close. The major difference being 6 Hawks shot 1.0 and 6 eagles shot 0.1

In analysing the game I just don't think its necessary to say hypothetically we needed more possessions out of xzy when the possessions we had were enough to get an outcome had we of been good enough to rise to the occasion and convert gettable goals.

Your analysis is really poor. To say there isn't much of a difference between having a 25/1 game to a 4/1 game is horrible. A 25/0.3 game is better than a 4/1 game. I am of course assuming the 25 possessions are quality possessions.

If you honestly think the only difference in the game was they converted better, we must have watched different games. Of course conversion was an issue, but that's a massive cop out to think everything else was okay.

If you honestly think the only difference in the game was they converted better, we must have watched different games. Of course conversion was an issue, but that's a massive cop out to think everything else was okay.

Agree to disagree I guess. We weren't as sharp as during the season but nor should we of expected to be. We played badly. To say Hawthorn were just too good on the day is the real cop out. They had a lot more possession than we did, which is their game, but when we had possession we scored freely.

Freely enough that kicking strait would of entirely changed the nature of the game. We had them beaten on run. We had almost as many scoring opportunities. We kicked ourselves out of the game for 3 quarters which made our greatest advantage- more run- irrelevant by Q4 where it would of mattered most. Hawks knew it, they had massive fatigue issues and rolled the dice to throw everything at us and score heavily early. It worked. Credit to them because their finishing was unbelievable. If we hadn't of kicked ourselves out of the game it wouldn't of been enough.

I really think it is just that simple. 25 scoring shots to 19. Take off 3 from Darlings unforced errors and its 22 v 20/21. How much possession and scoring shots did they generate from kick ins that should of been centre bounces? We kick 13 goals 6 instead of 8:11 and there's no way they kick 16:11 and it comes down to who can run it out. You could argue Hawthorn played a perfect game. But they are not the dominant side they were say 2 years ago. They are very beatable these days. If we had a less imperfect game ourselves it would of been very interesting. Credit to them, 100% confidence and self belief won out over our poor finishing and decision making.

Last edited:
Agree to disagree I guess. We weren't as sharp as during the season but nor should we of expected to be. We played badly. To say Hawthorn were just too good on the day is the real cop out. They had a lot more possession than we did, which is their game, but when we had possession we scored freely.

Freely enough that kicking strait would of entirely changed the nature of the game. We had them beaten on run. We had almost as many scoring opportunities. We kicked ourselves out of the game for 3 quarters which made our greatest advantage- more run- irrelevant by Q4 where it would of mattered most. Hawks knew it, they had massive fatigue issues and rolled the dice to throw everything at us and score heavily early. It worked. Credit to them because their finishing was unbelievable. If we hadn't of kicked ourselves out of the game it wouldn't of been enough.

I really think it is just that simple. 25 scoring shots to 19. Take off 3 from Darlings unforced errors and its 22 v 20/21. How much possession and scoring shots did they generate from kick ins that should of been centre bounces? We kick 13 goals 6 instead of 8:11 and there's no way they kick 16:11 and it comes down to who can run it out. You could argue Hawthorn played a perfect game. But they are not the dominant side they were say 2 years ago. They are very beatable these days. If we had a less imperfect game ourselves it would of been very interesting. Credit to them, 100% confidence and self belief won out over our poor finishing and decision making.

Of course they are beatable. But the way they played vs the way we played was the difference and our conversion didn't help. On the day they were substantially better in basically every aspect of the game. To beat them we would have had to bring our A game. We bought our F game.

Moose1414 I hear what you are trying to say.

Our guys have to get better at turning opportunity into scoreboard result. We had opportunity enough to at least bring the heat and fatigue into play in the second half but squandered the chance in front of goal. Hawthorn kicking 9.1 just slammed the gate on us.

Absolutely nothing to get excited about all game except the first goal.

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed the loose ball always bouncing straight to a hawks player..frustrating

Yeo, NicNat, Darling, LeCras, Cripps, Kennedy, Hurn, Sheed...I've lost mental count but there were heaps more....all had massive stinkers.

How we only ended up 47 points adrift at the final siren is a complete and utter mystery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back