Priority Pick And Other Assistance

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends how forward thinking the AFL are. Honestly, if we didnt lose so much first round talent over the past 5 years, we probably wouldnt be in the position we are in now. 1 PP pick wont make a lot of difference, but it will help replace lost talent.

Do we need to wait another 2 years until the horse has bolted for them to give us a PP? And by PP im only talking end of first round.

At the end of 2014 Brisbane finished 15th and were purportedly the big winners of the trade period. Almost everyone had them moving up the ladder in 2015, some even predicting they would finish in the 8. The disastrous 2015 campaign is more easily explained by poor coaching and an ordinary run with injuries than having the least talented list in the competition. A PP pick doesn't fix the fact they are poorly coached and have had injuries.

As for precedent, my understanding is that they haven't awarded a PP under the new rules. I think it's very unlikely they award a PP to Brisbane when the reason they got rid of the old system was because of tanking concerns by clubs like Melbourne and Carltank. The PP is for complete basket case teams, not teams that are under performing. Giving a PP to Brisbane sets a precedent to other non-basket case clubs to demand a PP just for finishing on the bottom of the ladder (isn't that what the no 1 pick is for, duh). Not to mention the fact that Melbourne (which is a legit basket case team) would got apeshit seeing as their request was rejected.

It is overstated by everybody. Brisbane posters are exaggerating how bad they are (in terms of list ability, not off field stuff) imo and opposition posters are kicking up because of a perception that inter-state teams are given an unfair advantage because the AFL is more preoccupied with pandering to expansion areas than conducting a fair competition (Sydney and the expo teams are mostly to blame for this, Brisbane is collateral damage).

The effect of awarding a PP pick (likely a late first rounder in a weak draft) will be so insignificant to Brisbane's future fortunes that to see a 13 page thread on it (and 7 pages on the Collingwood board lol) is absurd.
Using some successful teams as an example
Pies built their premiership around players they got from Father Son and Priority pick assistance from the AFL

Hawthorn got the cornerstones for their premiership through PPs

Geelong got a couple of star father and sons for next to nothing

Richmond, Carltank and Demons got handouts for years not that they did much with them

We have recieved none of these priority picks or Father and sons (the one time we started seeing benefits via the use of the Academy the AFL jumped in and took this advantage away from us, one that you guys and the other Victorian teams have built your success around), rebuilt during compromised drafts, and had bunch of talent we recognized and drafted very well leave us because they are pricks....whats your case?

Last edited:

I am slightly annoyed about how much I agree with Schraderbrau.

The one caveat I'd make is that it's a bit simplistic to say the club is 'poorly coached', even though I'd tend to agree. I think the club is suffering from lingering after-effects of more than a decade of poor management at every level.

An end of first rounder would be perfect really. It would mean we are able to nab both Hipwood and Keays. I'd hate to have to choose between the 2 of them.
You've identified the very assistance we should be getting - more generous Academy selection criteria. But in their wisdom and under pressure they took it away. The case for a priority pick just isn't compelling enough in my view.

An end of first rounder would be perfect really. It would mean we are able to nab both Hipwood and Keays. I'd hate to have to choose between the 2 of them.
No way, would be wanting pick 2. That way we can keep Leuy, trade Aish for 2 second round picks to get Hipwood and Keayes. Then trade our second round pick for Dixon and also get Suckling via free agency. That's the advantage of a priority pick, we don't have to rely on letting Leuenberger go via FA, inorder to get a higher compensation pick.

No way, would be wanting pick 2. That way we can keep Leuy, trade Aish for 2 second round picks to get Hipwood and Keayes. Then trade our second round pick for Dixon and also get Suckling via free agency. That's the advantage of a priority pick, we don't have to rely on letting Leuenberger go via FA, inorder to get a higher compensation pick.

I think we will be dreaming if we think Dixon is coming to us for a 2nd round pick.

I think we'll have pick 2 but it won't be a priority pick.

I think we will be dreaming if we think Dixon is coming to us for a 2nd round pick.
Why not? Port got Polec for pick 21. Dixon is out of contract and we should have pick 1 in the pre-season draft. If Dixon nominates us as his preferred club then their is nothing that the Gold Coast can do about that. Plus they will be our direct competition when trying to recruit other players to come to Queensland.

Why not? Port got Polec for pick 21. Dixon is out of contract and we should have pick 1 in the pre-season draft. If Dixon nominates us as his preferred club then their is nothing that Gold Coast can do. This club has to be ruthless in trades like Essendon.

We were screaming about that. More likely he goes into the PSD if that is all we offer the GC.

We were screaming about that. More likely he goes into the PSD if that is all we offer the GC.
Our second round pick at this stage is pick 19. That's more than fair considering he's injury history, age and the reluctance of the Suns not wanting to pay him anything over $600,000.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hallucinating would be more like it...similar to the idea of getting a first rounder for Aish
2 years development in to Aish,unproductive years are pretty much over.We saw what happened with most of GH5,they were ready to show their wares.Getting a quality player at 20 in to your club is gold,you have maximum output for 8-10 years when he lands.

I give us a real good chance of beating both Carlton and the Suns at the Gabba if we keep Beams and Hanley on deck which would likely see Weitering and Schache gone when we call out our first name in the ND and a weakened position in the PSD.

Some very interesting scenarios could emerge between now and the National Draft.

Last edited:
2 years development in to Aish,unproductive years are pretty much over.We saw what happened with most of GH5,they were ready to show their wares.Getting a quality player at 20 in to your club is gold,you have maximum output for 8-10 years when he lands.

I agree but will simply say Yeo 28 and Docherty 33.

If we lose Schache and Weitering because we didn't rest Hanley and Beams especially after such a s**t year, then that will be bloody ridiculous by the Lions. 1st time in how many years that we could get Schache that could potentially set up our forward line for the next 10 years. Just have to endure another 5 bad weeks.

Using some successful teams as an example
Pies built their premiership around players they got from Father Son and Priority pick assistance from the AFL

Hawthorn got the cornerstones for their premiership through PPs

Geelong got a couple of star father and sons for next to nothing

Richmond, Carltank and Demons got handouts for years not that they did much with them

We have recieved none of these priority picks or Father and sons (the one time we started seeing benefits via the use of the Academy the AFL jumped in and took this advantage away from us, one that you guys and the other Victorian teams have built your success around), rebuilt during compromised drafts, and had bunch of talent we recognized and drafted very well leave us because they are pricks....whats your case?

Yes, the Vics got their best and then took the ball away. Isaac Heeney went to a successful club and the Vics cried foul. But where are the Swannies now and are the Vics worried about everyone wanting to go to Hawthorn after they've finished their apprenticeship with another club? Now when the newer clubs qualify for F/S they wil be paying through the nose and in your case often may find it difficult to hang onto players. I never understood that one, Brisbane never seemed the worst place in the world to me and it's easy to visit your parents occasionally. I know when I was 19 you couldn't get me out of my parents house quickly enough.

Our second round pick at this stage is pick 19. That's more than fair considering he's injury history, age and the reluctance of the Suns not wanting to pay him anything over $600,000.
Our second round is currently pick 20 FYI as the suns have a final end of first round compensation pick activated from memory. Will slide further as well after fa compensation is done for danger

Hallucinating would be more like it...similar to the idea of getting a first rounder for Aish

Yep more likely a package deal add on with a fringe player...I'm thinking what ever we get for Aish will be used on Dixon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back