Universal Love RIP Russell Ebert. The greatest man!

Remove this Banner Ad

Just noticed this great photo by club ambassador and photographer of Presidents, celebrities, movie stars and the average person, Ben Baker.

It was his little tribute for Sarurday night.

Dont think its Russell, but someone doing one of the variations of a Russell Ebert handballl. The hands look too young for a man in his late 60's.

But he does say the hands of god, so probably it is the great man.

The football colour looks like the one used when Ben photographer the club's Since........... 2017 membership campaign.

Think Ben is in town at the moment or was recently. He has a few of his photos of Peter Malinauskas up and one or two others that suggests he is back.

Last edited:
Just noticed this great photo by club ambassador and photographer of Presidents, celebrities, movie stars and the average person, Ben Baker.

It was his little tribute for Sarurday night.

Dont think its Russell, but someone doing one of the variations of a Russell Ebert handballl. The hands look too young for a man in his late 60's.

But he does say the hands of god, so probably it is the great man.

The football colour looks like the one used when Ben photographer the club's Since........... 2017 membership campaign.

Think Ben is in town at the moment or was recently. He has a few of his photos of Peter Malinauskas up and one or two others that suggests he is back.

Would have said those biceps weren't ripped enough to be Russ.

I (once) had the absolute pleasure of briefly meeting Russell 😃 and one thing that I noticed were his really long fingers.

Thought to self at the time "no wonder he could grip the ball and hold it in one hand like a bloody Nerf ball so often" 🤔

I hope this turns out better than the other “tribute”.

Got my tickets

I hope this turns out better than the other “tribute”.

Got my tickets

Unfortunately we will have a lot of top up players playing, and it could get ugly.

I saw this Mark Soderstrom interview with Brett Ebert on the news last night helping to promote today's game against Westies in Loxton. Brett said he was 2 when Russell retired.

Midway thru
Soda - "I'm sure you've watched a lot of the tapes, geez he could play footy"

Brett - "yeah" Soda - "pretty amazing player," Brett - Yeah I ah (paused) I knew he was good, but I didn't realise he was that good.

Don't worry Brett, those of us who saw him live in flesh, know he was that good.

Then compares Boak to his dad. Says he mentioned it before the Hawthorn tribute game, to the other players, said Travis' ability to be so consistent, got the presence on the field, being a leader, and his charity work off the field, and the person he is - "I see Boaky and thing of dad running around to be honest."

Last edited:
To me, Boak is more of a Mark Williams type.

Robbie Gray perhaps the closest to Russell Ebert in our AFL side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ABC Riverland story

I've just bought the book his grandson wrote. I had a quick look through and stopped to read some snippets of a couple of chapters. Never got more than a couple of lines before starting to tear up. I don’t think I'll be reading it in public, could be embarrassing 😢

Sorry for intruding again folks, I am still angry and upset the greatest SA player in Russell Ebert was not elevated to legend status in the Aussie Rules Hall of Fame when he was alive.

images

Russ should have been in there many years/decades ago, I can see why non Victorian Club supporters believe #VICBIAS is a thing.

Really wish I got to have seen him play.

Thinking of Russ's family, friends, teammates and the PAFC community on this sad anniversary..

Sorry for intruding again folks, I am still angry and upset the greatest SA player in Russell Ebert was not elevated to legend status in the Aussie Rules Hall of Fame when he was alive.

images

Russ should have been in there many years/decades ago, I can see why non Victorian Club supporters believe #VICBIAS is a thing.

Thinking of Russ's family, friends, teammates and the PAFC community on this sad anniversary..

Imagine starting an ‘Australian Football Hall of Fame’, and all the people involved being okay with the fact that zero South Australians in 125+ years of football were worthy of ‘Legend’ status.

2001 — Barrie Robran
2017 — Malcolm Blight
2021 — Jack Oatey
2022 — Russell Ebert

Fos Williams and Jack Cahill should’ve taken a couple of hangers for South Melbourne in the roaring dicketies, I guess.

images

I have been saying for years that the Legend status is a wank and even though Russell got there, nothing will change that opinion.

The 100 players and 10 coaches who were inaugural inductees in 1996 into the Australian Football Hall of fame are all Legends - otherwise they wouldn't have been inaugural inductees among the tens of thousands who had played the game at state level and early days of the national level.

[The other 26 inaugural inductees - 10 umpires, 10 administrators and 6 media guys aren't really Legends - on field]

To say only 10% of players and coaches inducted can be legends at any one time, is arbitrary crap.

And now the selection committee has been told they can only elevate someone who has passed away to legend status, is another arbitrary bullshit criteria.

The only benefit of having the legend status is that on the induction evening, the footy world gets to hear about the stories of a past great and younger fans get to find out about these great players/coaches.

Imagine starting an ‘Australian Football Hall of Fame’, and all the people involved being okay with the fact that zero South Australians in 125+ years of football were worthy of ‘Legend’ status.

2001 — Barrie Robran
2017 — Malcolm Blight
2021 — Jack Oatey
2022 — Russell Ebert

Fos Williams and Jack Cahill should’ve taken a couple of hangers for South Melbourne in the roaring dicketies, I guess.

This guy went alright too, on AND off the field

As for Barrie in 2001 no problem but our Russell 21yrs later I lay at the feet of the SANFL anti port mafia.

This guy went alright too, on AND off the field

As for Barrie in 2001 no problem but our Russell 21yrs later I lay at the feet of the SANFL anti port mafia.
That's an excellent example of what I mean by the 100 inaugural players and 10 inaugural coaches inducted were all Legends. What they achieved and did for the game should never be somehow re categorised into the 10% criteria.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back