Skippos's 2015 Draft Resource

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the kid Hardwick a bit of a Corey DellOllio (forward) type?

Kind of. I don't remember much of Dell'Olio but if what I remember is right, I see what you mean. I remember Dell'Olio being shoddy on defence, though? Hardwick in a lot of ways doesn't play as small as his height. Not sure he's a small forward long term.

Hey Skip
How do you rate Wayne Milera to Charlie Cameron? They seem to have similar positives (pace, small forward wingman). Which one would you rate higher?

I see what you mean, they have some real similarities but I feel like Charlie has more of a natural feel around the goals, whereas Milera plays better through the middle and has a little more composure and awareness. He's also a better kick.

I don't think Milera ever becomes as valuable a goalsneak as Charlie, but I do think he becomes more valuable up the ground.

Hey Skip
How do you rate Wayne Milera to Charlie Cameron? They seem to have similar positives (pace, small forward wingman). Which one would you rate higher?
Milera is smooth, polished and composed whereas Charlie is manic and a bit rough around edges due to being late to the game

Overall milera is more versatile but as skippos said Cameron no doubt more effective as small pressure forward

I ventured out to Richmond Oval yesterday to watch the West v Glenelg reserves game. Conditions were arctic with a strong southerly blowing for most of the game. Several State U18 players fronted and here are my notes on each -
Jonty Sharenberg - Classy all day, stood out with his ball winning ability and clean hands. Perfect conditions for Jonty as there was stoppage after stoppage. What was noticeable during the game was his speed to spread which I didn't see during the champs. Worked really hard from centre stoppages and forward, kicked 2 goals. Needs to improve his defensive game and push back more.
Matt Allen - Kicked 4 really good goals, 2 were from the southern pocket into the breeze 45m out. Got up the ground to help out with the press which was good to see and then was able to get out the back when Glenelg broke away. Was really clean below his knees, but continues to go left all the time after pick up, a good defender will know this and get him everytime. Needs a new trick or have the confidence to go right. Liked his game and was the best forward on the day.
Mason Redman - If I had a draft board this kid would be in my top 30, I watched him closely for the first time and he moves so well. Has class and loads of aggression which I didn't see in the champs. He also plays his role in a full press really well and has the speed to get out the back quickly. So much up side in this kid and a genuine HF with AFL traits.
Lachlan Cameron - Not a name that features allot on BF but this kid has the goods. Tall, athletic, hard and has genuine ball winning ability. Is 190cm but plays allot taller, used across HF in the first half and went onto the ball in the 2nd and showed great composure through traffic. In some ways is still a little raw in how he plays, doesn't always run to the right spots and his kicking lets him down occasionally.
Graham Hampton - Tall, athletic indigenous defender with great skill and speed. Graham has had a solid season playing several league games, unfortunately the conditions didn't suit on Saturday and he found it hard to get into the game. Reminds me of Graham Johncock without the hardness.
Riley Bonner - I've always thought quality players with skill and class stand out when conditions are poor. Bonner stood out, with his AA selection at HB West are now playing him off half back also and he was excellent. Showed class and composure by foot (left or right) and hit targets at will. Plays well in a full press, his awareness to switch the play and hit targets was elite. Each time he had the ball West went forward and scored. Positive signs also with several intersect marks and contested possessions and one holding the ball chase down.
Harrison Westhoff - Had a tough day down back with not alot of support, got caught out one on one with Allen and was shown up. His second half was solid, in one contest he beat 3 opponents and forced the ball out which was classy. He just lacks that touch of speed to close a key forward down on the lead and needs to put some weight on to hold down a key defensive post.

Apologies to - Snelling, Francis, Haysman & Agostino for not sticking around it was too bloody cold.

I ventured out to Richmond Oval yesterday to watch the West v Glenelg reserves game. Conditions were arctic with a strong southerly blowing for most of the game. Several State U18 players fronted and here are my notes on each

Cheers mate, agree with your thoughts on Redman, he's in my top 30 too. Classy. Just has that rare IQ trait of being able to position himself in dangerous offensive areas to impact the game. I noticed Jamie Hampton (NT bottom aged junior) got a clearance to West the other day, currently at Immanuel so I suspect he's doing what Frank is doing in Ballarat and Parfitt at North. Will be interesting to see how he develops - so much offensive talent but he probably is in the top three worst defensive work rates I've seen from a junior. Could be next year's Agius if he doesn't fix that, but otherwise could be a first rounder. Certainly one to watch from Wests. Haven't seen much of Graham Hampton - how old is he?

Really appreciate your thoughts on Lachlan Cameron - a major reason I messaged you earlier is to get your thoughts on this guy. I believe he's a '98? So next year's draft? If so, I'm very intrigued. When I saw him he seemed taller than that too. With a growth spurt could really be that big bodied inside mid we haven't really ever produced. Feel like the system has missed him a little, like it missed Kahlin Santillo this year.

Also good to hear Bonner lifted in the wet. Classy. Intercept marking continuing to develop is fantastic likewise his defensive efforts improving is lovely to hear - was my major knock on him.

Hoping he can get a crack in the league side - would be great for him.

Hi skippos

Think the dogs need more class to round out the midfield. Who might be available around that pick 8-12 region that might fit the bill??

If you're looking for class, you're unlikely to get it there.

Parish would be the hope, but he'll likely be gone. Around that range will be Mathieson + academy players (all inside mids) and KPPs (Collins, McKay, Weideman, Burton, maybe Curnow). The outside types a little later (Clarke, Partington etc.) aren't really classy either.

So if you're looking for outside class perhaps you punt on Tucker - who's quick, skilled and breaks the lines but has been very disappointing this year. Or Ah Chee - he's shown signs in the middle but is still more of a half forward. The other option is Milera, who's genuinely classy but I feel it's a little early for him. Balic is probably the classiest of the lot and I consider him a MacRae-lite. But he's slow. I'm not sure if you want more slow?

Hey Skippos - if adelaide had pick 1, who do you hope they'd take? Who are the top 5 draftees you would want adelaide to consider?

Cheers

Hey Skippos - if adelaide had pick 1, who do you hope they'd take? Who are the top 5 draftees you would want adelaide to consider?

Cheers

Schache. Structurally so important to what we're building. After that I'd go Weitering - best available. Francis - local boy and also a very good footballer. Parish - a good list fit then a big gap to fifth where I'd have Curnow based on versatility and upside.

I think Bonner is a typical example of a player with huge talent, but the physical side of his game hasn't developed yet, as he needs some time to fill out. When and if he does, he'll be really something.

I stayed for the league game and Snelling, Haysman and Agostino were all very good and already above-average league players. Snelling kicked a lovely left foot goal under pressure and his work rate is exceptional.

I think I was the first to predict Francis would be a very early pick, but he had a strange game. At times he looked comfortably above the standard, at other times he looked to lack concentration and turned the ball over. I put that down to the usual 'post Championship' blues.

No problem with Brind and discipline at all that I've seen.

From brisbanes recent performances and the up coming games it looks like we might be able to win a few. Let's say we finish with pick 4-6 do you think they would be likely to reach for a KPF assuming shache is taken. Could curnrow be a number 1 target up forward?

Kind of. I don't remember much of Dell'Olio but if what I remember is right, I see what you mean. I remember Dell'Olio being shoddy on defence, though? Hardwick in a lot of ways doesn't play as small as his height. Not sure he's a small forward long term.
Dell tried to play taller than he was. He struggled to be much of a marking forward which for a player who wasn't overly creative at the feet of the forwards, he was always up the creek without a paddle as the old cobbler would say.

From the few reports on Hardwick, sounds like a few similarities to Corey Dell

Dell tried to play taller than he was. He struggled to be much of a marking forward which for a player who wasn't overly creative at the feet of the forwards, he was always up the creek without a paddle as the old cobbler would say.

From the few reports on Hardwick, sounds like a few similarities to Corey Dell
Hardwick is very quick and is able to push into the midfield so he has a few more tricks than Dell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Bonner is a typical example of a player with huge talent, but the physical side of his game hasn't developed yet, as he needs some time to fill out. When and if he does, he'll be really something.

I stayed for the league game and Snelling, Haysman and Agostino were all very good and already above-average league players. Snelling kicked a lovely left foot goal under pressure and his work rate is exceptional.

I think I was the first to predict Francis would be a very early pick, but he had a strange game. At times he looked comfortably above the standard, at other times he looked to lack concentration and turned the ball over. I put that down to the usual 'post Championship' blues.

No problem with Brind and discipline at all that I've seen.

I tend to agree. I don't think he's a top tier HBF type like KK but I wouldn't have him in that typical 25-35 range. DVR went 28 last year and Bonner has more strings to his bow in a weaker draft - so I think he's being underrated at the moment. He should be in that 12-18 range I reckon. But with 50% of AFL clubs based in the vic metro range (and I assume where the chief recruiter is too) I understand how they naturally favour metro players. And I'm looking at it and seeing Ryan Griffen, Brodie Smith, Chad Wingard, Sam Jacobs, Corey Enright and Lachie Neale as the best South Australians in the comp. Victoria probably have 22 players better than our best - we haven't produced many genuinely elite players of late, so perhaps they're looking at it and thinking that our system pumps out players who are a little more ready made but less likely to be elite.

Snelling's work rate really is excellent, isn't it? Haysman too. No surprise to hear Francis was a bit off - he's been like that for the last month. It's strange but you expect inconsistency from players so young - I use his best to assess him provided he's given a large enough sample of it, which he has. Brind I heard was late/presented poorly to training due to a heavy session the night before. Not acceptable if true.

just curious, at this stage what do you use to create your draft order?

Whenever I do a major re-shuffle I do a ladder predictor on the AFL site beforehand.

Also - all the completed videos are in here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMd-2ImZ9wyAAzj1SUKSS5ZuQgcxadbQn

WA/Country ones not in there but the six other states are. the other two will be put in this weekend.

They're the videos you'd want to watch etc. - not the game by game ones I've seen a lot of people linking to. So if possible, use the completed ones (as if the game by game videos get views it just encourages them to be higher up in search results and gives people a worse user experience which I don't want! - cbf taking them down but might have to in a month or so if people don't realise there are better vids out there!)

Skippos cheers for the resource

Just wanting to know your thoughts behind Skinner to WC in the 2nd round. If Fiorini is still available I'd be hoping WC would snaffle him quickly

Skippos cheers for the resource

Just wanting to know your thoughts behind Skinner to WC in the 2nd round. If Fiorini is still available I'd be hoping WC would snaffle him quickly

Added flexibility. I still think West Coast could use some KPP depth. Kennedy as the #1 forward. MacKenzie the #1 defender. Darling ideally #3 fwd/mid but #2 at a stretch. Lycett/Sinclair need to make serious gains in their forward play to justify a spot as a fwd/ruck. McInnes isn't an AFL standard forward. Powell a strong ?, Lamb not a KP forward. Barrass looks likely but 3rd tall perhaps?

I think McGovern's probably a better defender than forward in your current setup. But with the balance of your side I feel he's best used forward - he's still very good there. In general if you've got a player who's an 8/10 back and 7/10 forward I'd play them forward - because forwards and defenders aren't equal in their importance to a side - and KP defenders are a little easier to manufacture.

MacKenzie 27, Brown 26, Kennedy nearly 28. Skinner - like all KPPs, is 3-5 years from being genuinely able to hold his own. By then these guys are ageing/retired. You don't recruit a replacement for MacKenzie when he retires; you anticipate the retirement and recruit in advance. And even if they're all still around, Kennedy/McGovern/Darling as a forward setup and MacKenzie/Brown/Barrass as a defensive setup is solid - Skinner being the next man up if one injures themselves which is probably going to happen.

Added flexibility. I still think West Coast could use some KPP depth. Kennedy as the #1 forward. MacKenzie the #1 defender. Darling ideally #3 fwd/mid but #2 at a stretch. Lycett/Sinclair need to make serious gains in their forward play to justify a spot as a fwd/ruck. McInnes isn't an AFL standard forward. Powell a strong ?, Lamb not a KP forward. Barrass looks likely but 3rd tall perhaps?

I think McGovern's probably a better defender than forward in your current setup. But with the balance of your side I feel he's best used forward - he's still very good there. In general if you've got a player who's an 8/10 back and 7/10 forward I'd play them forward - because forwards and defenders aren't equal in their importance to a side - and KP defenders are a little easier to manufacture.

MacKenzie 27, Brown 26, Kennedy nearly 28. Skinner - like all KPPs, is 3-5 years from being genuinely able to hold his own. By then these guys are ageing/retired. You don't recruit a replacement for MacKenzie when he retires; you anticipate the retirement and recruit in advance. And even if they're all still around, Kennedy/McGovern/Darling as a forward setup and MacKenzie/Brown/Barrass as a defensive setup is solid - Skinner being the next man up if one injures themselves which is probably going to happen.

Fair reasoning, he'd absolutely be a project player. At the same time we can develop a KPP on the rookie list instead of using a second round pick AND OR draft an above age defender and forward between the 2016 and 2020 drafts.

And how often do project rookies succeed? McGovern is only one example.

It's very rare. You find value in the ND for them. First round for KPFs, first two for KPDs.

Fair call. Not arguing that at all. Honestly I would be stoked if we could nab Mitch Brown (Sandringham) with a later pick

Seeing how far improved Barass has been in the transition to WAFL seniors this year has been eye-opening. I reckon he'll crack an AFL game before too long, he's been in dominant form every time I've seen them play this year.

I would expect West Coast would focus more on the smaller types this year, but then again they and Adelaide have shown how effective having a surplus of KPP's can be.

Seeing how far improved Barass has been in the transition to WAFL seniors this year has been eye-opening. I reckon he'll crack an AFL game before too long, he's been in dominant form every time I've seen them play this year.

I would expect West Coast would focus more on the smaller types this year, but then again they and Adelaide have shown how effective having a surplus of KPP's can be.

Barrass is coming along really well and has been close to selection a couple of times. Simpson said this week that as a coach and match commitee they now feel Tom is in a place where he can play AFL after beginning the year in the East Perth 2's.

If he hasn't debuted before than I think he'll debut in Round 18 against the Suns as either an extra tall down back or replacing a rested McGovern or Schofield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back