Club Focus St Kilda 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Strong link between Port and NWM. If the Saints have another tough year I could see Gresham looking elsewhere and the compo pick may be worth it for the Saints although preference would obviously be to keep him. Absolute gun. Suns one to watch with Gresham. Now at the point of their list build where they will try to attract A grade talent entering their prime and with Rankine only offered 600k and choosing to leave, Bowes salary cleared and Rowell and Anderson re-signed, looks like the Suns finally have their salary cap in order. I think they have been planning to open it up to land a big fish this year.

Strong link between Port and NWM. If the Saints have another tough year I could see Gresham looking elsewhere and the compo pick may be worth it for the Saints although preference would obviously be to keep him. Absolute gun. Suns one to watch with Gresham. Now at the point of their list build where they will try to attract A grade talent entering their prime and with Rankine only offered 600k and choosing to leave, Bowes salary cleared and Rowell and Anderson re-signed, looks like the Suns finally have their salary cap in order. I think they have been planning to open it up to land a big fish this year.
Craig cameron has said as much pretty openly but hard to really believe him to be honest.

Suns also cleared Thompson (retired) and Sexton and Fiorini spreaded their back-ended last year contracts. I have little doubt Suns will have a space next off-season. Can they attract some top talent in prime is another question. If Suns play finals, then possibly. 2024 more likely.

If I remember correctly, Grasham did train with with Suns boys on GC during the last couple off-seasons if it means anything.

Suns also cleared Thompson (retired) and Sexton and Fiorini spreaded their back-ended last year contracts. I have little doubt Suns will have a space next off-season. Can they attract some top talent in prime is another question. If Suns play finals, then possibly. 2024 more likely.

If I remember correctly, Grasham did train with with Suns boys on GC during the last couple off-seasons if it means anything.
Straight swap, Gresham for Ben King, leaving his contract early.

Straight swap, Gresham for Ben King, leaving his contract early.
Did you see the house Ben bought on GC? :cool: Yeah, I know it means nothing, haha. There seems to be a fab 5 within the Suns team who are very close and committed to achieve success together - Luko, Ballard, Rowell, Anderson, King. Better start winning though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you see the house Ben bought on GC? :cool: Yeah, I know it means nothing, haha. There seems to be a fab 5 within the Suns team who are very close and committed to achieve success together - Luko, Ballard, Rowell, Anderson, King. Better start winning though.

Greshams a free agent.
And talls are always worth more than smalls.
Restricted free agent so I doubt we’d have any problems matching if we thought we were actually a chance to get him or if we think the deal would be better off going to a trade.

Ben King isn’t going to walk contracted anyway so it’s a moot point, but I’d imagine if Gresham doesn’t get us band one we’d be matching.

after missing out on jdg, do the saints have anyone they would look to target with the warchest this year?
The De Koening link with SOS has got some speculation happening there.

Could be an excellent 2nd-banana to Max.

Matt Randell apparently linked us with Finn Callaghan during the trade period or whatever late last year.

after missing out on jdg, do the saints have anyone they would look to target with the warchest this year?
I think we will be chasing Callaghan but so will many others.

DeKoning has been linked to us but I think we need another genuine key forward rather than a ruck that can rest forward.

Only worth chasing for the right price and that probably comes down to how much footy he gets to play this year.

Heard this one from a pretty strong source:

GWS to Salary dump Lachie Whitfield and Richmonds first pick to St.Kilda for minimum chips.

St.Kilda will offer that pick, their own first round pick and steak knives to GCS for Ben King.

Whitfield still on big money for a further three years, but St.Kilda have space and will pay it. Back end Ben King and they are away.

Could land Whitfield and King in the same trade period, whilst also finishing top 6. The Ross Lyon era.

Last edited:

GWS to Salary dump Lachie Whitfield and Richmonds first pick to St.Kilda for minimum chips.

St.Kilda will offer that pick, their own first round pick and steak knives to GCS for Ben King.

Whitfield still on big money for a further three years, but St.Kilda have space and will pay it. Back end Ben King and they are away.

Could land Whitfield and King in the same trade period, whilst also finishing top 6. The Ross Lyon era.
Surely there would be a lot of competition for Whitfield and somebody would be willing to take him on without requiring a pick as well. This isn't a Jack Bowes situation where he wasn't even getting a game.

Surely there would be a lot of competition for Whitfield and somebody would be willing to take him on without requiring a pick as well. This isn't a Jack Bowes situation where he wasn't even getting a game.

Its worse than Jack Bowes.

Whitfield is on 950k a year, for three more years.

GWS have 6 guys earning over or around a million a year. Its no sustainable with guys like Ash, Cadman, Green, Callagahn all needing big pay rises in the next few years.

Whoever can take on his contract holds all the aces

There were rumours of Whitfield to Saints last year.

And yeah the ben king rumours keep going on. I reckon he’ll give them another year of service.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back