Richmond 9 119 798
Adelaide 9 105 835
Melbourne 9 101 393
Fremantle 9 047 738
Brisbane 8 964 283
Western Bulldogs 8 603 909
Port Adelaide 8 506 534
North Melbourne 8 409 159

so does that mean we have 600k to spend lets say on FA next year thats free, and by the same logic crows have 100k free

so does that mean we have 600k to spend lets say on FA next year thats free, and by the same logic crows have 100k free

Looks like they are 2013 figures

Quick points:
1. Sydneys might have added their "living expenses allowances"?
2. Melbourne - wow - wonder who is on the big bucks there

If the figures are true then yea - we can prob compete for a good FA

Must be old data as I'm pretty sure you have to spend full cap now.

yeah dont know how ours could be right, but wow if it is, just looked up veterans we have a few next year that would be close to making it on the list like westoff seeing its 10 years with a club now not age dependent, this might help

We'll probably need REH to fill us in on all the details, but I think the year by year TPP figure fluctuates due to front/back ended contracts. I would also assume that Port are intentionally leaving a gap to the TPP limit so that we are able to increase players payments who are coming out of contract this year. With a large number of the group hitting that 23/24 age, they'd all be after an increase on what they were getting paid as a younger player.

Very much agree with this as an assessment of Toumpas, but you're well off the mark with Mayes IMO. He was fantastic last year and played some superb footy for the Lions proving the match winner on a couple of occasions.

I don't think I'm way off the mark at all, and as a matter of fact your reply nearly proves that.
I think Mayes will be an outstanding player, but playing in this Brisbane outfit is sorely hampering his ability to impact on matches.
Sure he may kick 3 or 4 great goals, but when you're getting hammered by 60 points every week, the competition won't take as much notice of you.
Chuck Mayes in Port, or a Richmond or Collingwood, where he would be provide that X-factor that elevates them to a genuine top 4 club, then he'd truly be able to fulfil his potential.

I don't reckon we'd even get any credit if we manage to beat WC away this week as 'they have injuries and were smashed by Geelong'. I honestly think until we beat Geelong or Hawthorn our efforts will be discounted, particularly in SA.
Geelong fans are already on Bay 13, mouthing off about coming over here and punishing Port once again. I desperately want to win this week against West Coast, but if I could only have 1 out of the next 2, I'd much rather knock off the Cats. I don't know how many days there are in 6 years and 8 months, but that's how long it's been since we've beaten Geelong: it's a drought that MUST end on Sunday week!!!!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong fans are already on Bay 13, mouthing off about coming over here and punishing Port once again. I desperately want to win this week against West Coast, but if I could only have 1 out of the next 2, I'd much rather knock off the Cats. I don't know how many days there are in 6 years and 8 months, but that's how long it's been since we've beaten Geelong: it's a drought that MUST end on Sunday week!!!!!!!!!

I'd much rather win against Geelong too, which is why I'm pretty disappointed we have this West Coast game this weekend. I feel we are a genuine chance to beat them these days, especially at home, however coming off the long trip to Perth and having to battle out in the heat over there will likely take its toll.
The one good thing is that we play saturday and they play monday, meaning we will have a few days extra break which hopefully will be able to make up for the trip and heat of the game.

It's irresponsible list management to not be paying 100% of the salary cap every year.

At a guess those figures would be 3-4 years old.

TPP are capped at $9.7m in 2014. Average wage is now $288,000. http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...yers-boss-finnis/story-fndv7pj3-1226834175211

If it's $9.7m this year, then the figures given above (n4nirvana) would have to be wrong.
Either way, it's certainly not irresponsible to be paying under the TPP cap. Like I stated above, we could be sitting under the cap this year because we have some back ended contracts. Additionally it helps having some room to breathe in the cap to allow for recruiting of free agents and offering players a little more if they begin to haggle with their contract.

I'd much rather win against Geelong too, which is why I'm pretty disappointed we have this West Coast game this weekend. I feel we are a genuine chance to beat them these days, especially at home, however coming off the long trip to Perth and having to battle out in the heat over there will likely take its toll.
The one good thing is that we play saturday and they play monday, meaning we will have a few days extra break which hopefully will be able to make up for the trip and heat of the game.
They're saying 28C and sunny in Perth on Saturday. The game starts at 5.40pm their time, so hopefully it shouldn't be more than 25C, come the first bounce: which isn't too bad. I think we'll be fine by Sunday week: Burgo will have them cherry ripe for the Cats (assuming we don't cop any serious injuries this week). Meanwhile, let's hope the Hawks hit them with everything on Easter Monday. I'm sure they will, as they'll be out to prove that their preliminary final win was no fluke. If the Cats still have some sore bodies after a 5 day recovery period, let's hope we can capitalise fully and get the win.

The other factor is Port Adelaide Oval. I reckon there'll be a minimum of 45000 at the ground on Sunday week, and if Port can get off to a good start, the home crowd will be a massive factor in our favour. The noise last Saturday was deafening: if you add another 8000-10000 fanatical Port fans next week, it has to equate to a 3-5 goal advantage to Port.

I don't think I'm way off the mark at all, and as a matter of fact your reply nearly proves that.
I think Mayes will be an outstanding player, but playing in this Brisbane outfit is sorely hampering his ability to impact on matches.
Sure he may kick 3 or 4 great goals, but when you're getting hammered by 60 points every week, the competition won't take as much notice of you.
Chuck Mayes in Port, or a Richmond or Collingwood, where he would be provide that X-factor that elevates them to a genuine top 4 club, then he'd truly be able to fulfil his potential.

Fair enough. I just think he's proven a lot more than to be classed in the same category as Toumpas.

If it's $9.7m this year, then the figures given above (n4nirvana) would have to be wrong.
Either way, it's certainly not irresponsible to be paying under the TPP cap. Like I stated above, we could be sitting under the cap this year because we have some back ended contracts. Additionally it helps having some room to breathe in the cap to allow for recruiting of free agents and offering players a little more if they begin to haggle with their contract.

You've got that topsy-turvy.

We should be paying 100% of our salary cap each and every year so that you always have the maximum amount free in the next years salary cap period. We signed and re-signed a number of players last year, their contracts should be front loaded to ensure that by the end of the 2013 trade period all of our TPP for 2014 is being used. Doing this maximises the cap space we'll have free in 2015 and 2016.

Think of it as being given a gift card every month to buy groceries. In April only need to pay for food and have plenty left over. In May however you're going to need to buy washing powered and razor blades. The gift card isn't transferable, so logically you'll pay for some of the stuff you'll need at a latter date early.

EDIT: I have no doubt the club is doing this now we can afford to.

You've got that topsy-turvy.

We should be paying 100% of our salary cap each and every year so that you always have the maximum amount free in the next years salary cap period. We signed and re-signed a number of players last year, their contracts should be front loaded to ensure that by the end of the 2013 trade period all of our TPP for 2014 is being used. Doing this maximises the cap space we'll have free in 2015 and 2016.

Think of it as being given a gift card every month to buy groceries. In April only need to pay for food and have plenty left over. In May however you're going to need to buy washing powered and razor blades. The gift card isn't transferable, so logically you'll pay for some of the stuff you'll need at a latter date early.

EDIT: I have no doubt the club is doing this now we can afford to.

Sure, I probably didn't state that as well as I could. If you pay 100% every year, then it becomes a lot harder to increase players contracts as there is no room to move. If there is still a spare 2 or 3 hundred k in the bank, you can chuck a player an extra 30 odd k in their next contract.
Given the age profile of our group, there aren't going to be many (if any) player receiving smaller contracts over the next few years, so we need that space to be able to accommodate the extra payments in future contracts.

I wouldn't worry about them. If there is one game that the boys would be itching to play before the season started, it's Geelong.

I'll go into the reasons why after this week because it isn't right to be looking that far ahead, but I have a feeling we're going to end any talk of Geelong dominance in 2014. It will be Essendon 2001 all over again.

Fair enough. I just think he's proven a lot more than to be classed in the same category as Toumpas.

Sure, maybe I didn't state it well enough. I wasn't ranking Toumpas' and Mayes' abilities, how they've done so far, or how they compare to each other. I was simply saying they both are the types of players that will do far better when their teams are performing well. While that is true of all players, someone like Wines can come in and have an immediate effect at a Melbourne (much like Viney) while Toumpas and Mayes are the types of players that finish off or direct great pieces of play that often necessarily need quality work by their teammates to be done.

Geelong - for me - is the team I really want to beat

for the reasons u put above and more

and not "just" beat in a traditional sense

but in a "need to put down then exorcised then employ a necromancer to reanimate them only to be put down again" kind of way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back