The Official Week 23 Thread...where we say Goodbye to the Non-Contenders

Which Lottery-bound team has the brightest future?

• Detroit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Denver

• Lakers

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Orlando

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Minnesota

• New York

• Philadelphia

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Sacramento

• Utah

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 18, 2003
The Room
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
4CMX2EL.png

Not every NBA team begins a season looking to win a Championship.

For every wannabe contender there is a rebuild, a focus on youth, a hoarding of "assets"...For every Australia and New Zealand at the Cricket World Cup, there is a Scotland, a UAE, or even worse: an England.

Fans of such non-contending teams understand that short-term Championship aspirations are not a reality. Instead of Playoff success, what they seek from the regular season is improvement, a sense of progression and at least a couple of prospects worth sticking by.

So before we say goodbye to these Lottery teams and completely shift our focus to the Playoff race, let's first get a wrap up on how these struggling teams fared this season.

I put some questions to BigFooty's most loyal yet frustrated fans, asking them about their team's losing season. What follows are their answers...

(I had to fill in answers for those teams that I was unable to get fan answers from...Big Thanks to those took their time out to provide responses).

Before we get started on the Q&A, you may want to check out the Efficiency Graphy of these teams below, displaying their progression during the season:

Notes:
  • The Brian Shaw head indicates the moment the former Nuggets coach was fired.
  • The Josh Smith head indicates the moment he was traded. The Pistons got markedly better at both ends after the trade, but post all-star inconsistency has left them short of the 8th seed.
  • The red section on Sacramento's progress line represents the memorable Tyrone Corbin era.
  • A good reflection of the team's basket-case season, Orlando's progression line is frantic but doesn't really go anywhere (efficiency-wise, they are almost exactly back at the same spot as when they fired Vaughn)
  • The Lakers defense has gone from "historically bad" to "just plain bad", which is something to be proud of I guess.
  • The Knicks' line has steadily dropped downwards as the season has progressed, which says it all really.
YCHfaxC.png

Last edited:
Detroit Pistons

Answers by Drumroe

CsBop9N.png

How do you feel about your team's season? Happy? Disappointed? Disillusioned?...

All three? Disappointed with the overall record, but I think there were enough signs for the future for us. Had an awesome run before Jennings got injured, then were horrible up until the last week.

The biggest surprise of the season was...

Smith being waived, I dont think anyone saw that coming.

The biggest disappointment was...

The Bucket Man being traded. HOF player.

But probably Jennings going down, we were playing some awesome basketball and he was in career best form when he went down. We were actually one of the most exciting teams in the NBA for a period

The reason the team is s**t right now? I blame...

Joe Dumars, still. Smith's contract still on the books, Monroe likely leaving due to that whole situation, throwing in Middleton to the Jennings trade for nothing.

But the team is worth barracking for, because...

When he realises how easily he can dominate players, watch out....

If you don't watch them often, one thing you might not know about my team is...

Since the Smith trade, the starting point guard for the Detroit Pistons averaged 22 points and 9.5 assists per 36 (Numbers of Jennings, Jackson and Augustin as starters for the Pistons)

The future for this team is...

Drummond and KCP.

If I had to compare this team to a man/woman/object, it'd be...

A f*****g wall!

Describe the team in 3 words or less...

A f*****g wall!

Denver Nuggets

Answers by mickelboy182

mhujXil.png

How do you feel about your team's season? Happy? Disappointed? Disillusioned?...

Very much disillusioned up to when we sacked Shaw, especially hearing reports from Denver media that we were going to KEEP him into 2015/16. Happy days and a much brighter outlook since he was given the arse.

My man the Nurk!

Holy cow when he was drafted a lot of the Denver fans thought he was a huge potential bust, looking slow and unathletic in his pre-draft videos. Truth be told he isn't lightning and he doesn't have hops, but boy does he make up for it with pure basketball nous and talent.

He has amazing footwork and a huge frame and knows exactly how to use these weapons to advantage. His offensive game is very raw but it's easy to see the improvements he has already made since the start of the season.

Watch him trim the puppy fat and become more powerful and he is going to be THE GUY on the Nuggets roster I believe.

Just how bad and lowly the Nuggets sunk.

Playoffs weren't just a goal but an expectation, with reasonable hope to finish as high as 4th. I don't think anybody could have expected this roster to lose home games to some of the worst teams in the league. That just isn't meant to happen.

Honourable mention to Arron Afflalo, not so much the guy himself but just the fact that things didn't work out with him. One wonders how it would have worked out had Shaw been ousted earlier, but Will Barton looks a likely type and so probably a win-win trade.

Honestly, I don't believe we are as bad as our position would tell you.

Shaw was proven inept and the players weren't giving their full effort either. Since Hunt has taken over the Nuggets look refreshed and are playing like the team we knew we had. We've been competitive at worst under Shaw and have even taken some decent scalps against play-off teams.

Things holding us back are a lack of center depth (what!) and honestly, Ty Lawson continues to be a little too passive. At his best he is attacking the rim and blowing by guys, though this year we just haven't seen that. He is the best player on the roster and we need him to really accept that mantle and just be a little more selfish at times.

OH AND JJ ******* HICKSON.

6H6wPIp.png

JJ Hickson can't play forever.

When at the top of their game, they are super fun to watch.

Even in the 2012/13 season when we were a force the majority of the NBA still slept on us and they missed out on some absolutely frenetic basketball. The unsuccessful play-off series against the Warriors produced some absolutely cracking games (and boy oh boy did we miss Gallo).

The nucleus of that team is still here (Iguodala being the main key missing) and they are still capable of that brand, as seen under Hunt.

Going to continue to be a slow build from within the organisation.

Denver just isn't able to attract the big name FA and thus we really need to be firing on all cylinders in putting together the team. Smart drafting (Nurkic) and identifying talent that isn't getting an opportunity (Barton) is key, and also getting the right man to coach the group of players we have. Hunt could be the man, to be honest.

The Nuggets aren't quite old enough to call it a mid-life crisis, so let's just say they are mid 20's and a bit direction-less in life

As a young vibrant 18 year old they thought they had it all worked out but in recent years they've realised they aren't quite heading up the path they thought they were.

BUT, there is still time to correct the course and deliver on the promise they had shown just a few short years ago. It really could go either way.

Better without Hickson.

Los Angeles Lakers

Answers by hans moleman

J185v70.png

How do you feel about the team's season? Happy? Disappointed? Disillusioned?...

Not too bad really. Better to be really bad than mediocre (especially given the team's top-5 draft pick protection). And boy, has this team ever been bad.

After watching the Documentary, it turns out Kobe's "Muse" is Nick Young. Talk about a plot twist!

The injury to Julius Randle (remember him?)

There's no single person to blame...I mean, have you seen the roster?

Everyone has a secret attraction to glitz, glamour, popularity and riches.

If you don't watch them often, one thing you might not know about the team is...

Despite the record, the crowd is always packed and still gets into the game.

A few more years of Kobe, then the luring of high-priced, big-name Free Agents.

The painting "Ecce Homo" by Elias Garcia Martinez.

Once a perferctly normal fresco, the work was repainted and butchered by an amateur to laughable results. People now come from all over to laugh and gawk at the restoration.

Draw your own parallel to the Lakers.

Flotsam and jetsam.

Orlando Magic

Answers by hans moleman

yaA9ndd.png

Mildly indifferent. I know it's a "process" but I'm a bit impatient for success.

The craftiness of Elfrid Payton.

The lack of team identity or purpose, i.e. the Jacque Vaughn effect.

Ben Gordon....Orlando's version of Kirk Hinrich.

Payton, Oladipo, Fournier, Harris, Vucevic. There are some decent pieces there.

Nikola Vucevic is the modern day Karl Malone...in terms of how long it takes for him to shoot his free throws.

What am I, Nostradamus?...The team needs a good coach to implement a worthwhile system and a rigged Draft wouldn't hurt either.

Post-debut album Stone Roses. After the dizzying heights of their debut, the Mancunian outfit took a while to release a second album, struggling to live up to their past success.

Similarly it was not long ago the Magic made the Finals...now they are looking for their own "Second Coming".

Magic or Tragic?

Minnesota Timberwolves

Answers by hans moleman

1mYt7HH.png

Good and bad. A wasted season in terms of competitiveness, but very promising signs thanks to Wiggins. Muhammed and LaVine have flashed their potential too.

KG’s return to ‘Sota. Less surprising is his virtual absence since the trade due to injury.

Everybody needs a weekly fix of Rubio in their lives. It sucks that we can't get a consistent dose of his play.

You name it: injury, front office management, player turnover, the departure of Love, the cold weather, David Kahn...

Maybe, just maybe, Wiggins could be a superstar. The signs are promising thus far.

If you don't watch them often, one thing you might not know about the team is...

Wiggins might already be one of the best post players in the NBA.

KG as part-Owner, Saunders as the all-too-powerful Owner/GM/Coach. And most importantly, a hopeful franchise cornerstone in Wiggins.

Doc Brown (Flip Saunders) and Marty McFly (KG).
The team has gone Back To The Future. But which version of the future have the Wolves travelled to?

Kaaaaahhhn!!!!! Saunderrrrrsssss!!!!

New York Knicks

Answers by Vincent Chase

Even though this season was worse (even by Knicks standards) than previous, it's water off a duck's back at this point.

Most sane Knicks fans realise that the team will go nowhere as long as Dolan is the head of the snake. Zenmaster coming is the one positive. The changes he made being good/bad can be debated, but I think his decision to go backwards before forwards was the right one.

Langston Galloway showed some nice things this season. Andrea 'Primo Pasta' Bargnani also showed some form that surprised towards the end of the season. Didn't think he had that still in him.

Like I said in the first question. I'm numb to it at this point.

If I had to say something it would probably be the injuries....would have liked to have seen more from Early and not seeing a quality player in Melo play the majority of the season was a bit of a bummer.

THjr not adding more strings to his bow was slightly worrying, i hope he doesn't become the next Landry Fields.

dew5z3w6ozhhmqctaj7t.jpg

Jabari-Parker-Dunk-Gif-3.gif

Fingers crossed.

And because well.....do i really have a choice?

Celebrities still turn up to watch. Jill is as fine as ever.

The San Antonio Spurs' Tim Duncan has played more minutes (45,380) in his career than the entire active New York Knicks roster (43,372). (source: sportscenter)

So outside of Calderon, we were pretty young this season.

Yet be decided.

Sooz.jpg

Lacking in noise.

Last edited:
Philadelphia 76ers

Answers by Warsaw

S0fLEw0.png

Very happy. It's a different position to be in, because we knew what this season would be like, but they've exceeded my expectations.

This season was really about one player in Nerlens and he's come through like a treat, especially since we traded MCW. But at the same time we've managed to unearth a few guys that might be here longer than anyone expected. Credit to Brett Brown.

Robert 'Lord' Covington. This is the Hinkie (Billy Beane) model. Find undervalued player, preferably in the D-League, that excels at one particular thing. Get him cheap (4yrs/4.2 million), give him minutes.

And get this...
CAFgK6nUQAAkWYH.jpg

Not seeing Joel suit up. But not just because I want to see him play - I've got plenty of Vine's to single handedly keep Kleenex in business (see here, here, here and here) - but rather because I really want/need to see him play with Nerlens.

In the chance that Nerlens gets traded on draft night (which is still unlikely and decreasing in chance with every passing day, but you know...Hinkie) to not have seen the two share the hardwood will be incredibly tough to swallow.

Well it's by design and no one's complaining except for Deadspin and other dumb concerned mothergooses.

But if you want to do a deep dive on recent Sixers history look no further than NBA Countdown's own Doug Collins. And for that don't know why that might be the short version is that he wanted to give Kwame Brown a 5-year, $30 million dollar deal.

The long version is that he was marvellously terrible at developing young players and evaluating talent (see Vucevic, Thad Young & the players he brought in). Had a game plan that consisted of taking a ridiculous amount of long twos, the worst shot in basketball and we led the league. Passed on Boogie for Turner.

And a lot of other s**t that could fill a Bible (probably not) and just make me angry.

They're fun. No seriously. It's the most fun I've ever had watching this team. And because for the first time in a long time they're not content with sitting in mediocrity.

Put it this way, if you're new to the franchise you're literally watching them grow right from the ground floor. I've just spent the last two seasons waiting for the blueprints to hit, get the building approved and contractors in place so you don't have to worry about all the bureaucratic bullshit.

They do have a great commentary team, especially Malik. His description of a Noel block on Tony Snell is amazing.

Oh and Molly Sullivan.

Strong. The upcoming draft is huge - potentially four first round picks inside the top 20 - but unlike some people may have suggested this isn't a perpetually rebuilding state.

We might already have our franchise player in Embiid. Add a Mudiay, Russell, Towns, Kristaps, Hezonja and we might hit on another. Get Saric in, Nerlens, Grant, Covington, start using free agency.

That bike on the Walking Dead that the dude gives Daryl. It's a fixer-upper, but the parts are there and when it's done you've got something worth the time and effort.

Cult of Hinkie.

Last edited:
Sacramento Kings

Answers by Hipster Doofus

5wYmWEm.png

Discontent.

Realistically we were a long shot at making the playoffs but after a 5-1 start and still plugging along at 12-11 after a pretty tough opening schedule I expected the improvement to be consolidated throughout the season.

It was all down hill from there and 3 coaches in almost 3 months is just downright laughable. The sacking of Malone was the biggest mistake in our franchises history, and I'm still not over it.

Happy to have Karl and keen to see him tweak the roster to his liking and get a full off season into them, but ultimately there is more work to do than there was last off season and we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

I'm just killing for some playoffs to be honest, I've followed this team for 5 years and it hasn't seen post-season action in 9.

Ray McCallum's iso offence is very good but he never utilises it unless it's the shot clock ticking down, he'll be a very good back up scoring combo guard one day and he's been a bright light post the all-star break in Collison's absence.

3pt shooting, defence. Don't even get me started. Mental ineptitude and giving up so many double digit leads is something which we can't seem to counter, especially on the road. The front office is a bunch of yes-men and it's pathetic.

The front office sacking Malone and all our defensive sets being thrown out the window.

The roar of the crowd when Boogie or Rudy or D-Will or McLemore burst down the court and jam it home, it's still one of the most passionate and energetic fanbases and teams in the league. One day we'll explode.

OsPN3e9.png

Nik Stauskas is going to be a quality player, his shooting will improve (seriously haven't seen a player have so many balls rim out unluckily ever) and his handles and craftiness driving the lane is really developed for both a rookie and shooting guard.

I can't wait to see him take the next step next year, his frame let's him down and he has struggled for minutes but he'll be right.

On Cousins' shoulders, he's the difference between winning and losing against 20-25 teams in this league. No joke.

A 43 year old corporate drone who is stuck in a s**t job but has to keep pushing uphill head held high in the slight chance he gets promoted; even though his workmates are all far superior at their jobs than him.

His wife and kids hate him and he's lost his identity, the mortgage is crippling him and it's time to either overcome it all or break free and start over.

Non-threateningly likeable.

Utah Jazz

Answers by hans moleman

aMSqJY1.png

Encouraged. Obviously there was the post all-star break improvement…best D in the league and all that. The team has a long way to go still, but it finally seems to have settled on a foundation.

Gobert's ability to maintain this kind of high-level play for a sustained period of time.

(And for all his defensive prowess he is still learning at that end of the floor…during games you can constantly hear Snyder shouting “Rudy Rudy! Rudy!” to make sure Gobert is in the right position).

You mean other than Joe Ingles being unfairly ignored as an MVP candidate?

Well how about we go with Enes Kanter indirectly dissing the Jazz fans:

I think the difference is, I like playing basketball there (OKC). I think that’s the most important thing. I never liked playing basketball before in my NBA career and this is the first time I felt like playing basketball there, for my team, for the fans, for my teammates for my coaches, for everybody. So, that’s the first time.”

C’mon now, Jazz fans are passionate. If you didn’t like playing for the organisation, fine. If you didn’t like your teammates..that’s OK, not everyone gets along.

But to not acknowledge the fans who supported you? Not cool.

GM Dennis Lindsey…but as is a running theme in these Q&A's, this team is s**t by design.

The inability to build a contender around the Jefferson/Millsap duo and a team led for too long by the immortal Tyrone Corbin, meant a retooling was desperately needed.

Now, behind Lindsey, the team has finally been entrusted to the young guys.

Every bit of crafty Joe Ingles play puts a smile on your face.

Trevor Booker is the only extrovert on the team. There is no alpha dog, vocal on-court leader or even strong, silent leader a la Duncan.

This team lacks a force of personality that encourages teammates to follow the leader.

Dependent on the continued development of the existing roster, particularly in regards to their comfort with the offensive system.

Whether development alone is enough to break into Playoff contention in the near future is another question.

A pair of unfashionably-fashionable Dunlop Volleys.

Neo-Soul Jazz.

Once again, big thanks to the Posters who took their time to give answers.

Now onto a few other matters...

Efficiency Graph

The graph below plots Offensive and Defensive Efficiency (points scored and allowed per 100 possessions, adjusted for League Average and Strength Of Schedule). Basically the further in the top right corner you are, the better you are.
Once again, credit for the original idea goes to Bigfooty User Final Siren, who created the concept in the thread: The Race for the Flag in Squiggly Lines).

nPiuK4P.png

Notes on some of the biggest movers last week:
  • As expected, Miami cooled down last week, failing to break 90 points in 3 of their 4 games on the road.
  • Wade may have been in “vintage” form a couple of weeks ago but sadly his body no longer allows him to keep that form up for any significant length of time. Ironically, the Heat’s only win last week came with Wade out injured.
  • Despite a couple of gimme wins against the Knicks and Lakers, Toronto’s Defensive Rating took yet another step backwards. They can’t expect to advance far in the Playoffs with their defense in the state that it is.
  • Heavy losses early in the week saw the Wizards reach a new low in Offensive Efficiency. This team has really been up and down the last couple of months. Another Eastern contender that is hard to rely on.
  • They may not be at championship level just yet, but the Spurs continue to improve at both ends, laying the smack down on OKC (offensively) and Dallas (defensively) last week.
  • Relatively unthreatening weeks for the Bulls and Rockets saw them able to boost their Offensive Ratings. Further improvement and they could be in the discussion as realistic Championship contenders.
Random Quiz Question Of The Week

Who are the 3 NBA teams with the longest active Playoff Droughts?

1. Minnesota Timberwolves. 11 seasons out of the Playoffs (last appearance: 2004)
2. Sacramento Kings. 9 seasons (2006)
3. Detroit Pistons. 6 seasons (2009)

Fancy Yet Ordinary Assist Of The Week

Here Stephen Curry uses the behind-the-back pass against a trapping pick and roll defense.

It's a pass that has become an increasingly common play in the NBA, particularly by the Warriors as Curry uses the attention he draws to catch the defense unawares and find an open Green/Speights/Lee at the top of the key.

Sometimes the quickest way to do this is to throw a behind the back pass, which goes to show that there can be function behind the fancy.

And Briefly...

• Gotta give a shout out to 3 guys who have stepped it up in recent weeks: Nikola Mirotic, Reggie Jackson and George Hill.
  • We've heard a lot about Mirotic (read the Bulls Thread to get an idea of what he’s achieved in recent weeks) and Jackson, whose impact I flippantly dismissed last week, has gotten some deserved recognition too.
  • The Pacers has struggled the last couple of weeks but that's through no fault of Hill, who had one of the best performances of the week in Indiana’s comeback win over Washington when he scored 12 points in the final 5 minutes including the game winner. He is averaging 22+ ppg on 56% shooting during that span.
  • With 34 points in a close win over the Hornets, Brook Lopez had one of his best games of the season last week…one of his best offensive games, that is. It seemed that for every bucket he scored at one end, he gave it up with passive interior D on the other. Pretty frustrating stuff.
  • Still, Lopez provided the big buckets down the stretch instead of Joe Johnson. A big reason was Michael Kidd-Gilchrist's hounding D.
  • After flashing into paint to provide help D, MKG was quick to close out on Johnson and not allow him room to breathe. He also shadowed JJ on the perimeter and made him uncomfortable in the post. It may not have shown up in the boxscore, but it was a more than handy performance by MKG.
tVX0gGp.png

What To Watch For This Week

Mon: OKC @ Phoenix. The Thunder can pretty much eliminate a rival for the 8th seed with a victory here.

Tue: Boston @ Charlotte. Another important contest in the race for the Playoff qualification.

Wed: Golden State @ LA Clippers. These 2 teams hate to lose to each other. The Curry/Paul matchup will be a cracker.

Thu: Chicago @ Milwaukee. A possible 1st round Playoff preview. Expect a lot of Bulls fans to infiltrate the Bradley Center.

Fri: Houston @ Dallas. The Mavs...so hard to get a read on.

Sat: OKC @ Memphis. An irressistible force (Westbrook) meets 2 immovable objects (Randolph & Gasol).

Sun: New Orleans @ Portland. With Pelicans Playoff hopes a long shot, you should catch Anthony Davis while you still can.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Westbrook has shot 50% or better in just one of his last 17 games... and that was where he shot 53% (9/17)... but it was the Lakers... so I'm not sure if we should count that...

Back