TRADE: Fremantle's Robert Warnock and pick 69 to Carlton for picks 24, 56 and 72.

Remove this Banner Ad

We blinked no doubt about it but I now await the 24 or nothing carlton supporters to appear saying we told you so.

I am not overly happy now but lets see how the cards fall on draft day ...if we can draft well - perhaps the sun will still rise.

Warnock should be a very good player and at least it adds some protection for Kruezer.

Anyway we have started to put some spice into the Blues game next year..which will be interesting.

Good luck to the Blues next season.

Thankyou Moo - finally a freo supporter with a bit of sense.....

It amazes me how the same freo supporters on this site (not you Moo), that suggested Warnock will be great prior to us getting him, then change their mind after we got him and say that he is overrated etc.

I agree with you Moo that this trade will cetainly add some spice to Freo / Carlton games next year... Who knows it may be the start of another rivalry like that we have with Essendon and Collingwood :)

And in all honesty, I hope Freo goes well next season. (just not as well as Carlton :))

Anyway cheers Carlton fans for the same post 1 million times over from different fans over the last 2 weeks and all i want to say now is we got more than pick 24. :thumbsu:

It goes both ways, for every Carlton fan saying pick 24 or nothing, there was a Docker fan saying pick 6 or the PSD.

Sanity prevailed and a middle ground was found.

People will still pull the Dockers getting screwed at the trade table routine or the Carlton and VISY routine or Carlton recruit another dud ruckman....

Every team has a so called soft spot.

Richmond - "Box seat" "tambling"...
WCE - "Drug users"

etc.

It is part of the banter with regards to football.

It amazes me how the same freo supporters on this site (not you Moo), that suggested Warnock will be great prior to us getting him, then change their mind after we got him and say that he is overrated etc

they're taking the piss. Don't worry, Robbie will be good for you. I am going to hate watching him palming it down to your midfield

I don't know what to make of this trade just yet. Will hold judgement until we see what we can get at pick 24

Just glad it is over

Im very happy with the clubs effort good deal all in all for both parties concearned.

Yeah I agree. I actually hope someone decent can be picked up with 24, and that warnock turns out to be a gun ruck.

Anyway cheers Carlton fans for the same post 1 million times over from different fans over the last 2 weeks and all i want to say now is we got more than pick 24. :thumbsu:

I'm not sure if the general opinion saying that 'you won't get more then pick 24' hasn't been taken out of context a little. I took it to mean that (from most BF posters with any resemblance of a brain) you certainly won't be getting pick 6, or 24 plus the addition of a wa player on our list of really high quality-potential ie Bower, Browne.....I think it was this that was meant not that we won't give you anything else with pick 24.

Freo folded like a book.

Why doesnt that surprise me.

Its not a particularly bad trade in terms of value but to take such a hard stand and then role over quicker than a cheap hooker is just so Freo.

Freo folded like a book.

Its not a particularly bad trade in terms of value but to take such a hard stand and then role over quicker than a cheap hooker is just so Freo.
Compare what we got for the player we gave up to the other trades done.

We got more (not much but some) than pick 24. Freo misread the effects of GC17's entry into the league and I believe when they saw what other clubs were getting for their players (i.e. not much) they took the deal.

Agreed. Painted themselves into a corner.

How so? We have 8 spots to fill on our list so getting pick 56 saves us from making a selection in the 8th round. Why take pick 24 by itself on Tuesday when pick 56 is actually quite valuable to us? Carlton were always going to add a sweetener late in the week and Fremantle would have been silly to do a deal early in the week instead of waiting to find out what that sweetener was (which didn't end up being anything special but better than nothing).

The trade eventuated exactly as it should have. Freo have not been bent over or ripped off and Carlton havent given up too much for an unproven ruckman. Its pick 24 for gods sake (+ loose change). The amount of vitriol that has been spat out by both supporters has been ridiculous.

Freo wanted to make a stand as PR wise they have been screwed with previous trades, Carlton always thought #24 was adequate and were never going to change.

I hope Freo make good use of #24 and get a great long term player and I hope Warnock develops into the ruckman we so badly need.

Freo folded like a book.

Thats rich coming from a wet toaster. What happened to pick 1 for Judd or the deals off? You let the number 1 player in the competition at the time go for less than the first pick. Great move

When a player nominates are club you are stuck in dealing with them and they hold the upper hand.

Freo got all they could - to be honest if i was carlton i would have offered pick 40 and a player or pick 40 and 56. They knew they had him in PSD, to be honest Carlton came to the table and was quite fair in the deal considering the power they held in the situation. Its a real shame they bent the eagles over and sent it from rectum to nostrils

The trade eventuated exactly as it should have. Freo have not been bent over or ripped off and Carlton havent given up too much for an unproven ruckman. Its pick 24 for gods sake (+ loose change). The amount of vitriol that has been spat out by both supporters has been ridiculous.

Freo wanted to make a stand as PR wise they have been screwed with previous trades, Carlton always thought #24 was adequate and were never going to change.

I hope Freo make good use of #24 and get a great long term player and I hope Warnock develops into the ruckman we so badly need.

The thing that frustrates me is that this was the type of deal that was always going to happen. Should not have taken 5 days, wasted everyones time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo folded like a book.

Yeah I agree, definately think Fremantle would have got a better deal if they had waited until Tomorrow. My mail is that if Fremantle had held their nerve today Icke was going to offer pick 6 tomorrow morning.

How so? We have 8 spots to fill on our list so getting pick 56 saves us from making a selection in the 8th round. Why take pick 24 by itself on Tuesday when pick 56 is actually quite valuable to us? Carlton were always going to add a sweetener late in the week and Fremantle would have been silly to do a deal early in the week instead of waiting to find out what that sweetener was (which didn't end up being anything special but better than nothing).
No, they painted themselves into a corner. Freo weren't waiting for a 4th round pick to be thrown in. Icke even told the media that it wasn't about late picks and players, that it was about #24 not being high enough.

If Freo weren't holding out for a higher pick than #24, this deal would have been done a day or two ago IMO.

In the end the later picks and swaps were all done to make it seem more complicated as a face saving exercise. Freo did the right thing in the end, but I think they misread the market a little bit. Possibly the wrong time to make a stand.

The thing that frustrates me is that this was the type of deal that was always going to happen. Should not have taken 5 days, wasted everyones time.

Is was pick 24 by itself until yesterday, so why would we take that on Wednesday without finding out what Carlton's best offer would be? Then they offered 24 and 56 for Warnock and pick 69. Sure having 72 thrown in today isn't great but the deadline was looming and we have 8 spots on our list to fill.

Getting pick 56 essentially prevents us from making a selection around 80something.

Freo got all they could - to be honest if i was carlton i would have offered pick 40 and a player or pick 40 and 56. They knew they had him in PSD, to be honest Carlton came to the table and was quite fair in the deal considering the power they held in the situation.
Agree. There were two factors that stuffed this all up.

1. Freo's belief in Warnock. They believe he is going to be a gun and wanted to trade accordingly. The problem is that he is not yet a gun and is not guaranteed to be a gun. Carlton also think he will be good but can't trade based on an opinion. He simply has not done enough or have the pedigree (i.e top 10 draft pick) for us to take that chance.

2. Carlton gave their highest offer right off the bat. Most clubs would think if they can hold out, that another better offer will come along. We did say that is our only offer but that could be seen as a bit of gamesmanship too.

No, they painted themselves into a corner. Freo weren't waiting for a 4th round pick to be thrown in. Icke even told the media that it wasn't about late picks and players, that it was about #24 not being high enough.

If Freo weren't holding out for a higher pick than #24, this deal would have been done a day or two ago IMO.

In the end the later picks and swaps were all done to make it seem more complicated as a face saving exercise. Freo did the right thing in the end, but I think they misread the market a little bit. Possibly the wrong time to make a stand.

But that's how trade week always works, clubs wait for the other team to blink. We didn't make a stand, everyone talks tough at the start of the week. Judd won't be traded unless we get pick one, O'Keefe's worth a first rounder and a player, McIntosh is on the table, we want a first rounder for Seaby, yada yada yada.

What did we have to lose by waiting until today? If we had taken this deal on Wednesday then you ended up trading pick 40 and a player for pick 17 today all the Carlton fans would be saying sucked in Fremantle, you should have waited until Friday!!

Geez Freo, You finally had a chance to show some testicular fortitude during trade week and you blew it.

I was barracking hard for the purple ones to finally walk away moral winners from this draft, instead they look like fools. Don't expect any respite in following trade deals Freo, you have aptly demonstrated you have no cojones.

What good does winning morally do for anyone?? They have pick 24 and 56, and have lost Warnock. If they hadn't have accepted the trade, they would have lost Warnock and gained no one. They have done what they had to do. Taking the moral high ground might seem like a good idea when you aren't involved in the day to day running of the club, but, surely it is rather foolish in reality.

What choice did Freo have at the end of the day. On a moral stand i would have loved to walk away from the deal and throw warnock into the PSD, but the coaching staff have a responsibility to the club, its supporters, sponsors etc to do what is best for the Freo footy club and that was get picks in this draft.
good on them for having a go and good on them for having the strength to do the right thing for the club!

Well said mate, couldn't agree more. They held out as long as they could and then took the best deal offered to them when they had to!

FREO ARE A JOKE!!!

Don't worry about pick 72 because we probably would have passed anyway.

All we gave up extra was pick 56 to 69 which is a lottery at that end.

Freo had a chance to gain some respect with one trade and they blew it.

GO YOU BLUE BOYS

People bagging us for getting Warnock...then if we hadn't have got him we'd be out of contention for 4 years until hampson and Kreuzer were ready.

Apparently a 20 game ruckman is meant to be dominating...who cares that he had 50% game time playing behind Sandilands.

What do people want from a 20 year old ruckman? They show glimpses...Warnock showed more than most. Especially when you consider the improvement he has had since his U18 days.

Anyone who has half a clue would have seen his second half of 2007 when Sandilands was out injured. Warnock showed he can palm the ball to his midfielders, get possessions as a linkman through the middle of the ground and has the skills/decision making ability to find targets up forward.

Seems the usual Bigfooty stamp has ruckmen having to have proved themselves by the time they're 20. :eek:

Who cares that ruckmen peak from 27-30.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back