Review Winners and Losers in the Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw Lonie playing in the champs last year and know how good he was over two years in the TAC Cup, so I knew how good he was, but I wasn't expecting to see him do so well for us so soon, given how small he is (not just 174cm, but very light as well) and also given that he missed a month or so of training in January. He's been a very pleasant surprise and McCartin and Goddard have apparently barely missed a beat this preseason and are meant to be very professional and dedicated, so that has helped them to be able to look good at the level immediately.

Goddard yesterday looked like he'd been playing for 5 years already I thought. Is big, strong, agile and athletic and competed extremely well, so I see no reason why he couldn't play a fair bit this year if needed. Could even free Fisher up to play the Enright type role again. He's going to be some sort of unit in a couple of years time, once he fills out that ample frame even more!

Sinclair is another one that could surprise a bit, but he impressed Ayres and co. at Port Melbourne so much in the VFL last year as the "23rd man" that they tried to get him to stay there for the rest of the year, so he is probably slightly more advanced than many who have come through the TAC Cup, being that year older. Given how many long term injuries we have already, he could be elevated pretty early on if needed.

Looking forward to seeing Cockatoo for you guys this year. Had we traded for pick 7 he is one that I would have been very excited had we drafted with that pick, as he brings so much to the table that we could really do with.

Did you happen to see NC5 verse the Crows Aussie? I think maybe a pretty handy kid , we may get a few games from him this year.

No I missed it, but I've been meaning to catch a highlights package so that I can see that goal he kicked from the centre clearance. Sounds like the one he kicked on GF day last year. He seems the exact type that we've been wanting since our Andrew Lovett experiment failed.

Very similar to the GF day , he reminds me of early Judd. There was game verses Brisbane that he exploded to announce himself.

He is not a finished product by any means , and I still think the top 3 would have been the top 3 but I could easily see him being 4 or 5 , if he had played more. As I previously said , some like early calls but we will not really know winner and losers for a while yet, McCartin will be good, Goddard should be good but Id say the 4 we picked may also be good. As always , time will tell.

Very similar to the GF day , he reminds me of early Judd. There was game verses Brisbane that he exploded to announce himself.

He is not a finished product by any means , and I still think the top 3 would have been the top 3 but I could easily see him being 4 or 5 , if he had played more. As I previously said , some like early calls but we will not really know winner and losers for a while yet, McCartin will be good, Goddard should be good but Id say the 4 we picked may also be good. As always , time will tell.

STRUTH!:eek:

He looks s**t hot. Would have loved to have had him at the Saints.
you could have but you chose in a different direction. Not better or worse… just different.

Go Catters

De Goey was bit Quieter then last game but still did some nice things and can use the Ball well. Love the Attack on the Ball and his 2nd Efforts. Only Panicked once when he Dropped the Mark in the 1st Qtr

Still a chance for RD 1

tambling did pretty much this exact same thing in his first preseason game too so its way too early to start calling good/bad about any kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tambling did pretty much this exact same thing in his first preseason game too so its way too early to start calling good/bad about any kid.

True. Tambling looked good early. I have always thought that Tambling at Geelong , Varcoe at Richmond and it would have been interesting how it panned out.
As fars as calling good or bad , Im just trying to balance a few very early call in this thread called winners and losers.

As I have said either here or on our board , Id say the first 3 would still have been 1,2,3 but from 4 on it would have been interesting if Cockatoo had played more.

True. Tambling looked good early. I have always thought that Tambling at Geelong , Varcoe at Richmond and it would have been interesting how it panned out.
As fars as calling good or bad , Im just trying to balance a few very early call in this thread called winners and losers.

As I have said either here or on our board , Id say the first 3 would still have been 1,2,3 but from 4 on it would have been interesting if Cockatoo had played more.

Agree - You would think Cockatoo could of been a Top 5 Pick and Picked ahead of Pickett IF Cockatoo played all year

Agree - You would think Cockatoo could of been a Top 5 Pick and Picked ahead of Pickett IF Cockatoo played all year

I think so , depending on club taste and needs. Same sort of players as Pickett , only taller.
Where it would get interesting for Geelong , if they had done the SJ deal and got P4 and P7. Who would they have taken. If the GFC took Cockatoo at 4 , it would push all back but some clubs like certain types. Would Pies still take DeGoey? Probably.

I think so , depending on club taste and needs. Same sort of players as Pickett , only taller.
Where it would get interesting for Geelong , if they had done the SJ deal and got P4 and P7. Who would they have taken. If the GFC took Cockatoo at 4 , it would push all back but some clubs like certain types. Would Pies still take DeGoey? Probably.

Very Good Point in saying Pies had the Choice out of Pickett and De Goey. Been a very close Call but I had Pickett ahead of De Goey just as he has Speed and Good Foot Skills but Would not of Complained IF we took De Goey over Pickett either

Very Good Point in saying Pies had the Choice out of Pickett and De Goey. Been a very close Call but I had Pickett ahead of De Goey just as he has Speed and Good Foot Skills but Would not of Complained IF we took De Goey over Pickett either

All theoretical I guess , think DeGoey may end being the more valuable player.

I'm really not seeing the hype around de goey

Being an early pick pushes the hype along.

There were plenty after are De Goey I would have sooner had but maybe De Goey was the best pick for Collingwood .

There are plenty of good players in the top 30 or so and there nothing to say that #5 will be infinitely better than a #25 just yet.

Being an early pick pushes the hype along.

There were plenty after are De Goey I would have sooner had but maybe De Goey was the best pick for Collingwood .

There are plenty of good players in the top 30 or so and there nothing to say that #5 will be infinitely better than a #25 just yet.

I think Hine played it safe in taking Degoey. He probably wasn't the player most clubs would have taken @5.
But probably the right pick for the club.
Very little chance that he'll be a bust. He has all the tools to be a good player. His hard at it and can win his own footy. Also played well in big games which Hines seem to really rate.
His a high pick from a trade involving one of there best players.
So there is going to be a fair bit of hype around him.

Cockatoo is awesome. He will immediately make the cats better as he already has the size and as shown in that vid his speed is ridiculous. The other highlight was when he ran down the boundary line and don't argued a bloke.

If this kid is as good as he looks right now and they get Danger...they have injected two extremely powerful mids for their 2016 campaign. Might be one more decent crack available for Stevie J, Bartel, Enright and Kelly.

I think Hine played it safe in taking Degoey. He probably wasn't the player most clubs would have taken @5.
But probably the right pick for the club.
Very little chance that he'll be a bust. He has all the tools to be a good player. His hard at it and can win his own footy. Also played well in big games which Hines seem to really rate.
His a high pick from a trade involving one of there best players.
So there is going to be a fair bit of hype around him.

Also having a Big GF and Final Series is a big thing that Hine rates when making his Draft Rankings.

There where a Few with Possible more Upside then De Goey but De Goey is the type at worst be a very good contributor to a AFL Side

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back