Review Winners and losers of Trade week.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's too early to declare winners & losers.
Just on Essendon, I'm not sure about their list management.
Watson turns 30 in Feb, Goddard 30 in May & Cooney 30 in September.
Are they in a premiership window?
Add Chapman, Fletcher & Winderlich and Essendon have a very old 22.

Watson, Goddard and Chapman are clearly still delivering the goods. Jury will be out on Cooney for a little while. Winderlich finished the year strongly (from memory). Fletcher is the only uncertain one for mine...

This is one of the issues I saw with the media shitstorm that has erupted since the Boyd trade. Who else should we have been targetting, or what else should we have been doing ?? Would love to see some of the suggestions from flogs like Barrett.

Exactly. Peoples comments on the contract aside, basically you traded pick 6 from this year for pick 1 from last year. Griffen was gone anyway.

Big win

Exactly. Peoples comments on the contract aside, basically you traded pick 6 from this year for pick 1 from last year. Griffen was gone anyway.

Big win

Best out of a bad situation. 30 year old Lonergan (good player mind you), 25 year old Greenwood (after one good year) or a 19 year old KPF - rated as the best outside Cameron.

I think we're expected to just sit there and watch players leave. Not to trade players in, just let them leave for the expansion teams. That sounds like a good philosophy for future success and membership growth.... :rolleyes::confused:

May I ask? Why would people want to play under Hird?
What credits exactly, has a stand-alone-Hird got in his coaching bank?

Would love to know how much exactly Cooney was paid to want to play for Hird and spongey floors.

How would I know? I'm not gonna lie and say I have some BullSh1t inside essendon info. If Cooney was told to say that then good on the essendon front office. Why did Winderlich back flip on wanting out? I have no idea. The media said Hird was gone. Now he is staying. The players love him.

May I ask? Why would people want to play under Hird?
What credits exactly, has a stand-alone-Hird got in his coaching bank?

Would love to know how much exactly Cooney was paid to want to play for Hird and spongey floors.

How would I know? I'm not gonna lie and say I have some BullSh1t inside essendon info. If Cooney was told to say that then good on the essendon front office. Why did Winderlich back flip on wanting out? I have no idea. The media said Hird was gone. Now he is staying. The players love him.

You said McVeigh rather than Malceski in the gold coast section.

Carlton seemingly won in the whiley trade, but not quite sure if getting Jones adds much. Unless Jones goes back and and becomes a defender, I don't see him likely to do much other than list clog.
90% of the time pick 46 is a list clogger anyway.

In the last 20 years of drafting only two players selected at pick 46 have made it to 100 games. One was a father son so shouldn't count as a true pick 46.

The rest have struggled to reach 10 games of AFL footy, or to even debut.

Jones was an excellent trade for Carlton. He's more likely to play games for us and make an impact than a pick 46 18 year old in the next two years.

Why just limit to pick 46? This is a 3rd round pick and quality players get picked around there.

All I see is that Carlton has picked a certain list clogger. He might have a odd good game here or there, but otherwise he's going to be a liability.

Carlton were unlucky they got Pick 7.
With the way the draft falls, they weren't going to get one of the Top 3 KPF's in the draft.
They also got blindsided with Boyd.
Perhaps they should have tried to upgrade Pick 7.

Why just limit to pick 46? This is a 3rd round pick and quality players get picked around there.

All I see is that Carlton has picked a certain list clogger. He might have a odd good game here or there, but otherwise he's going to be a liability.
I guess the best way to look at this is to see who is drafted in the 3rd round this year & then in about 5 years' time compare their achievements to those of Jones over the same period.

Funny, that's exactly how I feel about Shane Savage, so glad he picked you lot over us last year. He'll be out of the AFL in 18 or so months time, he is just a battler who is only getting a game at a club berefit of decent middle tier talent.

Once the Saints kids get 50 games and over into them, Savage will be exposed for the mediocre plodder he is, and will be expunged ...

Carlton were unlucky they got Pick 7.
With the way the draft falls, they weren't going to get one of the Top 3 KPF's in the draft.
They also got blindsided with Boyd.
Perhaps they should have tried to upgrade Pick 7.

Easy to say in hindsight, but we had no decent tradeable talent available that we should have packaged together to get a top 3 draft ...
Very Happy with the Jaksch trade, it was the right move for the club at the time, history can only judge us in 5 years or so whether it was right or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny, that's exactly how I feel about Shane Savage, so glad he picked you lot over us last year. He'll be out of the AFL in 18 or so months time, he is just a battler who is only getting a game at a club berefit of decent middle tier talent.

Once the Saints kids get 50 games and over into them, Savage will be exposed for the mediocre plodder he is, and will be expunged ...

He is a lot cheaper than Daisy Thomas, probably the worst free agent purchase ever

He is a lot cheaper than Daisy Thomas, probably the worst free agent purchase ever
Seriously if you thought he was going to give more out put then he did this year then you have very little footy knowledge. People may have expected more but to get 20/22 games is a good start. If he doesn't improve next year then you can say it's a fail and cost us cap space which in all honestly on a rebuilding list we wern't going to use, so worth the punt.

Seriously if you thought he was going to give more out put then he did this year then you have very little footy knowledge. People may have expected more but to get 20/22 games is a good start. If he doesn't improve next year then you can say it's a fail and cost us cap space which in all honestly on a rebuilding list we wern't going to use, so worth the punt.

I don't know about footy knowledge, but I expect if people are being paid 700k, then they would play well - just common sense. To say, oh, I didn't have a Pre season and then play 20 games with little to show even towards the end of the 20 games, does raise questions.

Melbourne, Brisbane and Port huge winners.

Geelong, GWS and everyone not participating big losers.

Melbourne got Sam Frost, Jeff Garlett and kept pick 2 and 3 likely to be Brayshaw and McCartin. Melbourne's list looks healthy and dangerous if Paul Roos can get them all fit.

Brisbane get Dayne Beams, top 10 midfielder, enough said. Also Christensen is a super get, I rate him in the top 5 or 6 young players in the league, the way he turns games is rediculous.

Port (mind you I'm biased) probably the biggest winner. Paddy Ryder is the best forward/ruck in the game and adds huge flexibility with Lobbe, Westhoff and Schulz.

Geelong lost Christensen and Varcoe, both outside pacey midfielders, with the loss of Taylor Hunt and a few other developing mids and only gaining Rhys Stanley and Mitch Clark, on their day both very good but Stanley is so inconsistant and Mitch Clark is still such a huge unknown. Their midfield looks shakey on paper now. They could come out big winners though if Stanley and Clark play every game next year, unsure as to how Hawkins, Stanley, Clarke, Vardy all function together.

GWS probably the biggest loser of this trade period. Ryan Griffen and Joel Patful stem the bleeding somewhat but they are both 29+ Griffen is elite but his back is unknown. Patful adds expierience down back which may help. But losing a number 1 and number 2 pick in any trade period is a massive loss. With Patton down for seeminglessly all year in 2015 Cameron will need to shoulder the load now. O'Rourke isnt a huge loss but a number 2 pick is still vaulable. Sam Frost, Jonathon Giles and Kristen Jaksch are bigger losses in my eyes. GWS go from having the best key position stocks in the league to having all but none.

West Coast, Richmond, Fremantle all losers just for purely not participating. All 3 have middle of the pack lists now. Fremantle have Fyfe and not much else given their ageing list. West Coast lost Cox and Glass and made no effort to fill gaps. Richmond had a good back half to 2014 but need something just anything to put them into that top 4. The competition is better when Richmond are playing well but their list looks one paced and heavily relied on Jack Riewoldt and Trent Cotchin. They need support and failed to get it.

Very reasonable to suggest Geelong lost in this one.

Bundy blindsided us completely with an inpriciple unsigned deal in agreement. We had to take 21 or it was nothing and he would walk.

Losing TV as well hurts out pace but we got Clark out of it. Was kind of ok with this.

Stanley was a head scratcher.

Best upside i can get is reassess in 12 months. If, and it s a big if, both Clark and Stanley can play their roles up forward and in the ruck effectively and take pressure off Hawkins then we can break even or maybe even win in these deals but aLOT must go right.

The alternative is, well, not good at all and right now, the more likely of outcomes based purely on performances to this point.

Gaining pick 10 is nice.

Go Catters

He might wind up being so, but given the circumstances surrounding the player you've pulled the trigger on this way too early. He might just wind up being the best free agent purchase ever. Certainly he was not recruited on the basis of what he could produce last year.

He might wind up being so, but given the circumstances surrounding the player you've pulled the trigger on this way too early. He might just wind up being the best free agent purchase ever. Certainly he was not recruited on the basis of what he could produce last year.
At his best Dale is a gun. The only question is can he reproduce his best. The Blues also gave up Betts or at least his compo to get Thomas so there's a possibility that they have lost more then just money.

At his best Dale is a gun. The only question is can he reproduce his best. The Blues also gave up Betts or at least his compo to get Thomas so there's a possibility that they have lost more then just money.

There's the possibility of every angle at this point. What we do know is the quality of a fit and firing Thomas. We know he hadn't played much footy the last two years. We know he was overcoming injury and we know he had very little preseason. What's going to tell the story is what happens next more than what's happened last year. I'm just saying making the claim he's the worst ever free agent acquisition is about as premature as it gets.

Geelong were the big losers in my view.
I think they had a decent trade period. They won the trade with Adelaide clearly. Looks like they lost the Stanley trade but I reckon they'll develop him into a good player. They didn't do to badly in getting Mitch Clark for Travis Varcoe deal. If Clark can get over his injury worries (big if) and can play a few decent seasons, then they've done alright. They lost on the Christensen trade though. Overall I think they did well

They had a woeful period in my view.
My biggest concern around Geelong is to do with 2 areas.
They have an ageing defence.
Lonergan is 30, Mackie is 30, Rivers is 30 & Taylor is 28.
They made a major play for Frawley given this. Frawley rejected them.
They have Vardy, Walker, now Clark & Stanley to fill the KPF - ruck slot.
This is excess.
They also lost Christensen & Varcoe in their midfield.
Their list balance is completely flawed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back